10+ Year Old Account

Broke my system (won't post) :P

i was fiddling in my bios, nothing too terrible, just upping my overclock, most if not all of the settings were "recommended" by asus guys, so i load windows and blue screen, go in, drop some settings a bit, blue screen, couple more times, then i load into the bios, it locks up on me, and bang, system "dead"

the problem is, everything is "running" fine

all the leds are fine, memok, power etc, fans spin (heatsink, gfx card, hard drives all spin (and can do for .. well, forever till i switch it off), i stripped everything out and tried a basic boot, (psu, mobo, cpu/hs), and i got the ram beep code, shoved a stick of ram in, now i get no beep codes (should be a no vga one? [there's no onboard]) throughout all of this (the times when the gfx card was attached, the monitor insisted there was no signal), if i plug my mouse into the usb slots, it lights up (though not my keyboard, but i'm not sure any of the lights normally do light up (numlock etc)

i've done a wee bit of checking around and heard that if you don't get the beep codes after installing a stick of ram, then it could well be the ram to blame, one of the settings i did alter in the bios was upping my ram from 1333 to 1600 (i have 1600 ram), i've tried both sticks of ram in all the configurations, all slots, both sticks singles etc, no change

oh, and one of the first things i did was reset the cmos thingy to reset all my changes (did this after the first failed screen)

any ideas what i cocked up? :P

(i might be able to lend some ram/gfx card off my brother to test tomorrow, but other than that, nothing else i have handy to swap around)

/sigh, the joys of fiddling

(i5 2500k, asus p8p67le mobo (no onboard gfx), corsair xms 1600 ram, 2x4gig, gtx 570, corsair tx650psu)

Well, you may have just gotten really unlucky and had bad ram (didn't want/could run at 1600). I actually acidentally set my 1333 RAM to 1600 and tried to boot (failed) but it reset my Bios to factory settings to prevent damage =P never again. But yeah, test your RAM.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can also try resetting CMOS to see if you can get a POST again.

Deleted
    if i remember correctly, all mobos have a way to reset BIOS settings to factory default without having to actually use the BIOS interface. also, are you sure your ram is 1600?

10+ Year Old Account
    yes i'm sure, and resetting the cmos is how to reset th bios :P

it's getting weirder now, i've been checking more, i've managed to get it to load with 1 stick of ram, i get it to the american megatrends post, but then it says i need to press f1 to enter setup to reset th bios

but starting it up is so ,, inconsistant, ran in this slot sometimes will, sometimes won't, ssd i had to move to a different sata port to usual, managed to get past the marvel controller page by plugging that in, but any other sata devices d=it doesn't like

and regardless of absolutely anything, it completely refuses to load anything on the monitor if the keyboard is plugged in ...

oh, and it requires me to reset the cmos every time i reboot, even it i've gotten to the "press f1" bit and make no changes at all, or the only change is i plugged in the keyboard (tried in every port)

as fun as i like fiddling with "broken" hardware, i prefer when it's other peoples, so i can at least still play my games/browse/watch my movies etc >.<

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you're going to want to RMA that motherboard mate. That many different issue I have to lean towards the motherboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    that was my first thought and immediate fear, but then when it seemed to run "fine" and seemed to be something else, but now it seems to be everything else instead,leading back to the mobo

---------- Post added 2011-09-25 at 03:03 PM ----------

fiddled with it some more but still can't get into the bios, or anywhere near windows, i can't send it back to the retailer (though i've emailed them anyway, who knows, they might be nice :P ), also filled in the asus tech support form and emailed their rma department, so mayhap i'll get soem replies and can work from there, worst comes to the worst i'll just buy a new motherboard, as much as i'd rather not (especially if it ends up not being the motherboard that's kaput) :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried removing the battery and have it out for a couple of minutes? With no PSU connected to the mobo meanwhile of course.

It's a long shot but beats RMA

10+ Year Old Account
    did it for 30-40 minutes, just incase

same results, can see the splash screen sometimes then it freezes, most of the time .. nothing, everything "seems" to be working fine but nothing to the display

10+ Year Old Account
    hrm. The CPU LED never indicates that'd it'd be something wrong there? Maybe a re-seating of the CPU could help. Oh my, long shot here too ;o

But ye, on the subject on VRM design (a subject I'll admit I know very little about), the 4+1 VRM design on the P8P67 LE got some critique in the reviews that it overheated easily while overclocking. Maybe you pushed it too far, though total breakdown instead of auto-downclocking feels plain unlucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    reseated the cpu and heatsink too, just incase :P

amazon emailed me back saying to contact asus (who i've contacted), if asus cannae do anything, amazon say to get back in touch with them (yes yes,i'm a baddie for using amazon, but it was waaaaay cheaper than scan for this board and scan never stocked it, kinda wish i'd plumped up more for the pro now >.> )