Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best Diablo 2 class?

I'm getting Diablo 2 soon, just as a filler till the 3rd one comes out, and I'm just wondering what is the best/most fun class to play single player with? Never played the game before, so I'm open for any ideas.
    Thanks.

I enjoyed my Meteorb Sorceress. It was slow to start out with because of mana and few abilities, but afterwards it was really fun, plus I like being able to teleport rather than take the long way around. I've only played through on normal, solo or with my husband (who plays hammerdin) so can't speak to harder difficulties (or online play but you said single player). Last I checked gamefaqs still had most of the builds covered if you want specific build advice once you pick a class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends if you have gear or not. I loved my lite sorc but it required mad gear to be good enough to not die from lite immunes.
    Forever the proponent of special snowflakes everywhere.

It takes very little time to level up a character, so you'll be able to play a bunch of different ones and figure out what you like.

Deleted
    Everyone says hammerdins so i guess thats it my personal choice however is Necromancer becos whats not fun with summoning a army of undead and letting them do all the work for you.

The most fun? Highly subjective. D2 is hugely replayable which is why people still play. I recently tried a summoner (skellimancer--google "Fishymancer") because I never played Necro before and it was fun!

Some popular builds that are powerful:
    Meteor/Frozen Orb Sorceress
    Lightning/Frozen Orb Sorceress
    Summoner Necromancer
    Trapper Assassin
    Hammerdin Paladin

Guess which classes I played! I will start with Barb in D3 because I never played him in D2.

The single player forums here provide a wealth of info on builds, tools, etc.
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3
    Last edited by Wizler; 2011-09-25 at 12:36 AM. Reason: add more info

Some people say a hammer paladin, but even though very strong, they can be very boring without Enigma (armor that allows you to teleport). But it's really up to you. They can all be good so try them all to see. I'd personally go for a sorceress. Lightning sorc would be fun but they're all good really.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

warrior for support and sorcerer

The most fun?

Ww-sin, try and love it!
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

to start, i'd do a blizzard cold sorc

once you have gear a hammerdin is hands down the class that can solo the most content and quickly

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogen View Post
    I'm getting Diablo 2 soon, just as a filler till the 3rd one comes out, and I'm just wondering what is the best/most fun class to play single player with? Never played the game before, so I'm open for any ideas.
    Thanks.
    I'll be competely honest. The game is not that great single player. While its fun doing it once in single player testing yourself. Playing it through grinding levels out is rather diffucilt especially when somthing does drop after you have completed Norm/NM/Hell. it turns out to not be for your class that you have the item on and in single player there is no trading between characters (and its rather difficult without a friend on online. Even then better hope its a good friend.) If you do play, play online even your intent is to just play alone.

Forgot to add my fav characters thats noones stated yet!

Paladin - Zeal/smite build -- Once you build up enough lifesteal your unkillable other then a certian debuff in chaos sanc -_-

Deleted
    depends what you're after....
    All classes have many abilities you gonna recognise since they used em in wow too.....
    Necromancer is a very fun class to mess around with and so is Barb.
    For big aoe pulls for quick lewt (as in the cow level) amazon sorc and to some extend assasin where also good

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite was Necromancer

Used to play with a Rl friend who played a druid, and got a bow with piercing effect to me, and after I got it on my amazon(who was a ranger) I ripped thu all the content. had maxed out the amount of arrow you could shout in a fan in front of you, and with the piercing effect I killed most of the mobs even before i could see them on my screen was a blast

Amazon is pretty gear dependant tho, so might want to start as druid, and then go amazon later.....

Smiter/hammerdin and Enigma barb was probably the best, But Sorc is the best class to start off with easiest and least gear dependent to Mf with to start gearing you hammerdin or other toons.

I liked Vengeance+Conviction aura paladin. But for me best class isn't the most overpowered one.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

10+ Year Old Account
    I found amazon was great for solo/farming with multi-shot. Barbarian was also beast with whirlwind.

Deleted
    I hated hammerdins but I have to admit that once they get enigma it's GG. They are hands down the best but by far not the most entertaining. I really enjoyed playing my titan barb which is a barbarian that focuses only on strength and damage, using whirlwind and a polearm/spear to hit enemies before they can hit you. You'll be one-shotting almost everything but you still have to pay attention to what you are doing unlike hammerdins. It's not really a great build to start with since you will die if you make any mistakes but maybe you'll enjoy that, it's always fun when the game is a bit challenging.

I also loved rift (?) assassins that used a runeword that gave you chance to cast frozen orb on striking/attack (?) which worked great together with the assassins fast kicks. It was like a sorceress that had all the cool spell effects while still letting you get in and do the dirty work. If you're like me and don't like staying back like a coward then you'll love that build. Unfortunately this build requires a highrune and you'll just be a normal assassin until you can find it.

From what I've seen assassins are the ones with the most fun and exciting builds. Not only do they have quite a lot of cool skills but they can also get Whirlwind or Ctc frozen orb from runewords that completely changes how the class works.

---------- Post added 2011-09-25 at 01:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vyce223 View Post
    I'll be competely honest. The game is not that great single player. While its fun doing it once in single player testing yourself. Playing it through grinding levels out is rather diffucilt especially when somthing does drop after you have completed Norm/NM/Hell. it turns out to not be for your class that you have the item on and in single player there is no trading between characters (and its rather difficult without a friend on online. Even then better hope its a good friend.) If you do play, play online even your intent is to just play alone.

Forgot to add my fav characters thats noones stated yet!

Paladin - Zeal/smite build -- Once you build up enough lifesteal your unkillable other then a certian debuff in chaos sanc -_-
    When playing online you'll be boosted up to Hell, skipping quests and the story completely. You will do baal runs with a hammerdin bot to level which takes away everything that makes this game fun.

....but if he does find a friend to play with and they both agree not to do any of the things I mentioned above then it would be a lot more fun. None of my friends chose to play through the game the way it was meant to be played.

For singleplayer, you can basically play whatever the heck you want and still have fun all the way through the game. I was an untwinked conc barb, a pure cold Sorc, a Sin with random traps, an elemental druid, a zeal paladin, and a bowazon. I think I also had a necromancer that only used bone spells and a golem too.