10+ Year Old Account

Last 'Build' Question... I Swear!

Hi, so I had a build made for me a couple of weeks ago, I have a question. My new limit is $1,500 CAD and this needs to include my Monitor. That being said, here is the golden question. Do I wait? Do I buy and build it now, or do I wait for a couple months? I would like it asap so I can start playing, but at the same time, I don't want to lose out. This computer will be used for BF3, and in the not so near future anymore, D3. That is the extent of it, some web browsing, but not really any files will be put on it. I say that because I've read that SSDs are supposed to be fast. But reading some reviews they seem to break after 3 months. Is the speed worth the uncertainty? Compared to HDDs are SSDs way out of their league?
    Thanks for input, also, I do know there are the 'generic' build, but I think each person prefers something different.
    Edit: I won't be using newegg/ncix, but a local computer store is able to match the prices, so for arguments sake, don't include S&H
    Last edited by Wrobble; 2011-09-25 at 03:32 AM. Reason: addition

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, this build is in USD, because my configurator is setup that way

Custom build by Uggorthaholy

moboMsi Z68 – $149.99
    cpuIntel i5 2500K – $219.99
    ramCorsar 1600 MHz Vengeance Low-Profile 2X4GB – $57.99
    gpuTwin Frozr GTX 570 – $349.99
    hdd1Samsung Spinpoint 1TB – $59.99
    osWindow 7 Home Premium 64-Bit – $99.99
    psuCorsair 80+ 650w modular – $109.99
    sinkCorsair A70 – $41.42
    caseCooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower – $159.99

Final Price – $1249.34
    Note that certain parts can be changed in/out for personal preference, ESPECIALLY the case. I do not include SSD’s because I am not comfortable/knowledgeable enough to recommend them with any form of confidence

Not sure if you need peripherals. If not, go ahead and throw in an SSD is it's in your budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Uggo! If someone could answer..
    Do I wait? Do I buy and build it now, or do I wait for a couple months? I would like it asap so I can start playing, but at the same time, I don't want to lose out. This computer will be used for BF3, and in the not so near future anymore, D3. That is the extent of it, some web browsing, but not really any files will be put on it. I say that because I've read that SSDs are supposed to be fast. But reading some reviews they seem to break after 3 months. Is the speed worth the uncertainty? Compared to HDDs are SSDs way out of their league?
    It would be much appreciated

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't use an SSD, take it as you will. A lot of people do.

Don't wait. There's always something to wait for. Go for it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    SSD prices are dropping like mad recently. I'm not sure if it's because the companies are going to release a new drive series, or what, but the Crucial 256GB drives have fallen a pretty fair deal. The 256 with its transfer kit is down a total of $110 right now ($379). The 128 drives are going for $50 odd off ($184) as well on Amazon and newegg.

Crucial has one of the most stable SSDs right now on the market, so I'd at least take a gander at them.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    I don't use an SSD, take it as you will. A lot of people do.

Don't wait. There's always something to wait for. Go for it now.
    Well that is true if you're building midrange systems, but sometimes a little wait can benefit if you're building a higher end one. If you're just going for a "good enough" system, i.e. Running things like BF3@30fps on high, then yeah just go for it. But if you're jamming an i5 2500k, 6950/70/gtx 570/80, might be worth holding off until you actually need the system.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Well that is true if you're building midrange systems, but sometimes a little wait can benefit if you're building a higher end one. If you're just going for a "good enough" system, i.e. Running things like BF3@30fps on high, then yeah just go for it. But if you're jamming an i5 2500k, 6950/70/gtx 570/80, might be worth holding off until you actually need the system.
    For what purpose, exactly?

I don't mind the idea of waiting, but this seems like an extremely generic statement. D:

10+ Year Old Account
    How about a monitor? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrobble View Post
    How about a monitor? Any suggestions?

Do you care about HD and have the space for a tv? You can buy a Vizio 32" hdtv for $249.99 CAD these days. If you don't care about HD go with at least a 19".

15+ Year Old Account
    Please get yourself an IPS panel if you can (The dell ultrasharps are quite nice)

Else, I like my 1080p Acer 23" monitor. Was like 130.

10+ Year Old Account
    My current desk has the space for 20 5/8" wide by 20 1/2" tall
    Also Uggo, I changed your build over to the Canadian Site, and its like 1500 on the button almost. But to save 300$ I have someone in the states that I can ship it to, lol. Living near Vancouver, makes it pretty simple to drive down to the Seattle area. That being said, That gives me about $200 for the screen in american... What kinda tax do you guys pay on things?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    For what purpose, exactly?

I don't mind the idea of waiting, but this seems like an extremely generic statement. D:
    If it's a choice between say buy now, or a month. Now you can get a 560 ti, a month a 580. In that case I always suggest just wait a little bit. If all you want is an i3 2100 and like a 6870? Buy now.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    If it's a choice between say buy now, or a month. Now you can get a 560 ti, a month a 580. In that case I always suggest just wait a little bit. If all you want is an i3 2100 and like a 6870? Buy now.
    Oh. You just mean saving up a lil' more cash.

It's a bit presumptuous to be fair though. I certainly can't afford a GTX 580 by simply waiting a month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Oh. You just mean saving up a lil' more cash.

It's a bit presumptuous to be fair though. I certainly can't afford a GTX 580 by simply waiting a month.
    Well looking at his budget it's fairly high. By waiting until like a week before release he'd be able to load it with anything he wanted:P

I've postponed my own build, simply because I see no point buying Intel when AMD are launching similar specced CPUs. If AMD fail, I'll sigh and buy Intel again:P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrobble View Post
    My current desk has the space for 20 5/8" wide by 20 1/2" tall
    Also Uggo, I changed your build over to the Canadian Site, and its like 1500 on the button almost. But to save 300$ I have someone in the states that I can ship it to, lol. Living near Vancouver, makes it pretty simple to drive down to the Seattle area. That being said, That gives me about $200 for the screen in american... What kinda tax do you guys pay on things?
    Looks like 9.5% sales tax in seattle.