Thread: What did I do?

Deleted

What did I do?

I have an Intel i5 2500 (not K version) I just opened the case (ofcourse with pc shut down) I blew all the dust out of the stock heatsink. Now this is a heatsink with those white things at each corner wich you have to push in. I put it in again, but my computer would shut itself down as soon at Windows had to load. Now I am pretty certain I put it in well, after fiddling around more. Now it starts just fine but my idle temps are 40c all of a sudden, this is certainly not right. I DID break one of these on one of the corners in the process, only the black part that's stuck between the white piece of plastic:

Now I could get a whole new heatsink (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus) if I wanted, was planning to buy one anyway. But I worry, Maybe it won't fit.

Anyways, what could this temp rise be? That broken part? Because usually it was 30c idle, now it's around 40.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2011-09-25 at 09:20 PM.

Deleted
    If your heat sink is (partially) broken, it may not fully touch your CPU anymore. That could be the reason of the temperature rise. Also check if theres still enough heatpaste on the CPU/Heat sink.

And if your heat sink is broken indeed, you should definitely get a new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    probably the broken part made the heatsink unable to fir perfectly on the CPU, thus the increase in temperature. Also you may have removed some part of the thermal paste (shouldn't cause such a temp rise though)

15+ Year Old Account
    That clip holds the heatsink down. Now your heat sink is not firmly against the cpu. that's your problem.

also, if you took the sink off, did you clean off and re-apply thermal paste? if not, you broke a thermal seal and now you need to re-make that seal, as well.

Deleted
    Should I just use the computer while idle and order that 212 Hyper?

---------- Post added 2011-09-25 at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    That clip holds the heatsink down. Now your heat sink is not firmly against the cpu. that's your problem.

also, if you took the sink off, did you clean off and re-apply thermal paste? if not, you broke a thermal seal and now you need to re-make that seal, as well.
    So thermal paste? I can buy some with the cooler I guess. Should I just get a cooler tomorrow and not do any gaming atm?

Also, does anybody know what the width of a intel stock cooler 1155 is?
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2011-09-25 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you have RAM with big heatsinks (corsair vengeance for example) or an extremely small case you'll have no problems fitting a new cooler!
    Most coolers come with thermal paste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    Unless you have RAM with big heatsinks (corsair vengeance for example) or an extremely small case you'll have no problems fitting a new cooler!
    Most coolers come with thermal paste.
    Hmm okay. So is it safe if I order the heatsink tomorrow and keep using my computer for browsing etc. for now?

---------- Post added 2011-09-25 at 10:37 PM ----------

So yeah, I think I will buy the Hyper 212 tomorrow. Can I still use my computer until then?