Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Check if your school is a member of the MSDNAA http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/bb250591, In that case you'll get it for free (+ a ton of other stuff as well)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    That's kind of dumb, is there really a difference between http://tinyurl.com/y9jsn5t and http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1920&bih=966. If anything it's better cause it doesn't take as much space
    No, posting a google search answer is not permitted, at all. Come with an actual website, or constructive feedback. If anything say,

"A quick google search gave me this url : xxx.xxx.com"

I had exactly the same problem. Alas, in my country all they sell is upgrades for students, a full version costs the full price.

I've heard rumours, however, that an upgrade would also be capable of installing win7 from an empty (or fragmented) HD. Not 100% sure this works though, so you could try it at your own risk, but I would not recommend it.

In my case, I built the PC myself, and was able to get a System Builder OEM of windows. Not ideal, but it still saved me 60% money.
    Last edited by conceit2; 2011-09-25 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did the right thing and bought it and lost out on £70+ because of it...

I bought windows 7 upgrade so i could upgrade my computer from vista..
    neally a year later and i got a new ssd
    i installed windows 7 and tried to activate it with the copy i purchased a few months before
    turns out i can't use windows 7 on my new ssd because the key only works when upgrading from vista...

so that left me with 2 options....

illigealy download vista, burn it to a dvd, reformat my ssd, install vista and then upgrade to the windows 7 i have purchased...

or

use a crack to activate the windows 7 install....

It's stupid that the people that actually pay for things are the ones that suffer the most and are treated the worst -.-'

Again, no discussing piracy. It is not an option. At all. Ever. ~Uggor

---------- Post added 2011-09-25 at 10:55 PM ----------

If you actually read what i wrote , i wasn't saying it was an option for him i was saying it was an option for me when i purchased it. ~ Frozenbeef

p.s stop stealing my red text =.=
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2011-09-25 at 10:20 PM.

Deleted
    I just thought i needed to say this- you CAN use an upgrade version of windows for a fresh install and it is legal as microsoft has said so themselves. I just built a computer a few weeks ago and used a student upgrade version for a full install and it worked fine just burned it to a dvd and installed as usual but dont actually type in the product key while installing do that after you have downloaded all your drivers and updates for windows. This is a helpful site - http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-upgrade-media just read through that and you should be fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Not entirely true, yes it's an upgrade but you can install it on a blank drive assuming you have a full version of previous windows version(likely anything XP+) unless of course they changed that but I know I could do the same with an XP upgrade as long as I had a 9x, ME, or 2k version to swap into the ODD to "prove" I have a windows version to upgrade from.
    Thats not entirely true either. You do a clean install with an upgrade version. Just dont enter the license key in the install. Do it when you have finished the install and are at ur desktop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monztah View Post
    Thats not entirely true either. You do a clean install with an upgrade version. Just dont enter the license key in the install. Do it when you have finished the install and are at ur desktop.
    Tried that, just came up with error messages when ever i tried entering the key. kept trying until the 30 day trial counted down

10+ Year Old Account
    If your school is using windows server 2k8 r2, their IT may hook you up with a free copy of Windows Thin PC, it's a stripped out version of 7, but it runs most things, I use it to host my minecraft servers, the only issue I really know of is that installing .net framework can be a pain, but otherwise it works out well

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    If your school is using windows server 2k8 r2, their IT may hook you up with a free copy of Windows Thin PC, it's a stripped out version of 7, but it runs most things, I use it to host my minecraft servers, the only issue I really know of is that installing .net framework can be a pain, but otherwise it works out well
    Isn't that still in beta? I heard something about an evaluation copy being available, but not a full release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Isn't that still in beta? I heard something about an evaluation copy being available, but not a full release.
    nope, they finished beta a few months ago, and afaik, it can be free distributed to any computer within the 2k8r2 domain, even those only using DHCP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Dont know if it is the same in every country, but here in portugal, state university students get a link to a microsoft student site which gives each pearson 1 free windows key. i got my Windows 7 64bit profession that way..
    Yup, rocks to be portuguese
    We got free access to lots of other software too.

Now, this is only for university students me thinks ;O
    You might wanna look it up with your IT dep. good luck!
    Last edited by mmocd0e843edf6; 2011-09-26 at 01:22 AM.

As others have said, check and see if your school has access to the MSDNAA. My school currently has it, but its only for folks enrolled in CS classes. Luckly that includes me, so I have access to 144 pieces of MS software, including Win 7 Pro. Its the way to go, as it gives you free, full versions of the software (none of the "upgrade copy" BS).
    Good Luck

15+ Year Old Account
    I can download thousands of dollars worth through my school. :P pretty epic! Norway <3