Deleted

Time for something else - upgrade or buy a new?

For the last year or so i have had some fairly long FPS spikes and it have been the reason for a wipe or 2, it's ok because i don't play in a super hardcore raiding guild but still. I've also had to lower my settings to keep the same framerate and i'm thinking it's time for and upgrade or a new computer.

My setting are as followed:

CPU: Intelcore 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

RAM: 3 GB DDR2-SDRAM

Graphic card: GeForce 8600 GT

MotherBoard: IPIBL-LA(Berkeley)

Power: 300W

(only thing that is stated about this)

I running vista (i know, shame on me)

Just in case i missed something i've posted a link here about it: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3605243

I've also taken some photos

So my quest for you guys: should i buy myself a comp or should i upgrade my computer and how many thing would i be able to transfere to a new case? i guess if i were to upgrade i would start off with a cooler master high tower or something with abit more room to work with.

I haven't build a computer before so i you try to lure me into this plz, stay fairly simpel although i know how google works!

About the prize i don't really know, post what you think i might need the price i'll take a look at later.

Last note should be I'm only looking to play wow and Diablo 3 and i live in Denmark so any price you find you should add 20% because every god dam thing is more expensive here.

Hope you can help me

15+ Year Old Account
    You need to buy a new computer, for the most part.

I can recommend a build, but I need to know your budget. My setup is for USD, but all of these parts can be found from any of the various sites listed in the sticky index.

I'll give you 2 rigs - bare minimum, and my suggested.

Minimum:

Custom build by Uggorthaholy

moboMsi H67 – $74.99
    cpuIntel i3 2100 – $124.99
    ramG. Skill 1333 MHz 2X2GB – $31.99
    gpuTwin Frozr GTX 460 – $169.99
    hdd1Samsung Spinpoint 1TB – $59.99
    osWindow 7 Home Premium 64-Bit – $99.99
    psuCorsair 80+ 500w – $59.99
    caseCooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower – $59.99

Final Price – $681.92
    Note that certain parts can be changed in/out for personal preference, ESPECIALLY the case. I do not include SSD’s because I am not comfortable/knowledgeable enough to recommend them with any form of confidence

Suggested:

moboMsi P67, SLi/CF ready – $129.99
    cpuIntel i5 2500K – $219.99
    ramCorsar 1600 MHz Vengeance Low-Profile 2X4GB – $57.99
    gpuTwin Frozr GTX 560 Ti – $244.99
    psuCorsair 80+ 650w – $84.99
    sinkCorsair A70 – $41.42

Final Price – $999.34
    Note that certain parts can be changed in/out for personal preference, ESPECIALLY the case. I do not include SSD’s because I am not comfortable/knowledgeable enough to recommend them with any form of confidence

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    You need to buy a new computer, for the most part.

I can recommend a build, but I need to know your budget. My setup is for USD, but all of these parts can be found from any of the various sites listed in the sticky index.

I'll give you 2 rigs - bare minimum, and my suggested.

Minimum:

moboMsi H67 – $74.99
    cpuIntel i3 2100 – $124.99
    ramG. Skill 1333 MHz 2X2GB – $31.99
    gpuTwin Frozr GTX 460 – $169.99
    psuCorsair 80+ 500w – $59.99

Final Price – $681.92

Suggested:

moboMsi P67, SLi/CF ready – $129.99
    cpuIntel i5 2500K – $219.99
    ramCorsar 1600 MHz Vengeance Low-Profile 2X4GB – $57.99
    gpuTwin Frozr GTX 560 Ti – $244.99
    psuCorsair 80+ 650w – $84.99
    sinkCorsair A70 – $41.42

Final Price – $999.34
    Well to give you a "budget" i would be able to spend 1200-1500$ but that would be over 2-3 months but that's might just be the last build you posted since the I5 costs around 1500 DKK and that is around 300$ so you can tell that is gonna be a bit more expensive...

Also, how hard would i be to put such a thing together?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azome View Post
    Well to give you a "budget" i would be able to spend 1200-1500$ but that would be over 2-3 months but that's might just be the last build you posted since the I5 costs around 1500 DKK and that is around 300$ so you can tell that is gonna be a bit more expensive...

Typically, following the guide from the stickies index here, and viewing the guide on youtube by newegg, ig you can build legos you can build a computer. It's quite simple, really.

10+ Year Old Account

If you're going to wait for 2-3 months, wait till Christmas. New generation GPUs and CPUs will probably be out by then.

10+ Year Old Account
    You WIPED raids due to fps spikes? Upgrade time sir.

Like lego, with occasional reference to the manual that comes with everything.

If WoW is your primary focus, the $999 build will blow through 25man raids with ease. That PC will also be well-set for Diablo III, SW:ToR, GW2, etc etc. Only something really GPU-heavy like Crysis/2 or BF3 will force you to turn down settings.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-25 at 10:15 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Typically, following the guide from the stickies index here, and viewing the guide on youtube by newegg, ig you can build legos you can build a computer. It's quite simple, really.
    REally? well i kinda lol'ed a bit since i live less then 10 miles from where they are made, i guess i should be fine then.

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    You WIPED raids due to fps spikes? Upgrade time sir.

Like lego, with occasional reference to the manual that comes with everything.

If WoW is your primary focus, the $999 build will blow through 25man raids with ease. That PC will also be well-set for Diablo III, SW:ToR, GW2, etc etc. Only something really GPU-heavy like Crysis/2 or BF3 will force you to turn down settings.
    Well, since my guild tend to go with the least amount of healers all time and since i'm a holy pala, FPS lag spikes at the wrong times isn't the greatest thing...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah, once you're confident with your build and get everything running you should aim for a 4.3-4.5ghz overclock (takes literally 30 seconds in BIOS) for a more profound boost in raids. You'll be able to turn up everything to Ultra (except shadows) and drop no lower than 40-50fps during the most intense encounters. Play a healer like you were meant to :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    If you're going to wait for 2-3 months, wait till Christmas. New generation GPUs and CPUs will probably be out by then.
    With the state of his current build I wouldn't wait another minute. New technology will always be "a few months away" and the upcoming 22nm CPU's or GPU's won't exactly make a staggering performance difference in WoW (or any upcoming MMO for that matter) since an i5 2500K + GTX560 Ti can already blow through performance, even more so when both are overclocked.

Deleted
    Ok now, i've just messed around a bit a found some prices

Right now i'm looking at 7164 DKK and with the exchange rate to USD being at 5.5 that would be 1302.5$, is this too much for that build? i guess i would love to go a tiny bit lower but how would i know if the parts i'm buying still fits together?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok now, i've just messed around a bit a found some prices

Right now i'm looking at 7164 DKK and with the exchange rate to USD being at 5.5 that would be 1302.5$, is this too much for that build? i guess i would love to go a tiny bit lower but how would i know if the parts i'm buying still fits together?
    $1302 for the $999 build? If that includes shipping and everything that's...still not the best deal. Which online store (or stores) are you shopping from? Maybe we could take a look.
    The only parts that really need to "fit together" are the CPU and Motherboard...the rest is fairly flexible. If it's too much you can cut down the GPU to a GTX460 1gb and swap over to the i3 2100 + H67 motherboard (as listed in the $681 build above).

Deleted
    $1302 for the $999 build? If that includes shipping and everything that's...still not the best deal. Which online store (or stores) are you shopping from? Maybe we could take a look.
    The only parts that really need to "fit together" are the CPU and Motherboard...the rest is fairly flexible. If it's too much you can cut down the GPU to a GTX460 1gb and swap over to the i3 2100 + H67 motherboard (as listed in the $681 build above).
    '

I'm using pricerunner for everything so it should be the lowest price for each item, you have to remember that i live in a country were we pay as much as 65% taxes and there is tax on everything, we do get free healthcare though.

Our VAT is at 25% btw

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, then go ahead and spend the 7164 DKK if it's getting you the exact parts as the $999 build. You'll feel a lot better once you've assembled it and got the software + OS installed, it'll blast away your current PC by a mile
    Wait around a bit longer for others to reply though, someone may find you a deal or something >_<
    I myself am from NZ where there's a fat premium slapped onto all PC parts that come in, not fun

Deleted
    Well, then go ahead and spend the 7164 DKK if it's getting you the exact parts as the $999 build. You'll feel a lot better once you've assembled it and got the software + OS installed, it'll blast away your current PC by a mile
    I would hope so! but really thanks to all of you, i'm gonna go ahead and see where to buy and get the best prices, and ofc post the result when i'm done

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah, once you're confident with your build and get everything running you should aim for a 4.3-4.5ghz overclock (takes literally 30 seconds in BIOS) for a more profound boost in raids. You'll be able to turn up everything to Ultra (except shadows) and drop no lower than 40-50fps during the most intense encounters. Play a healer like you were meant to :P

With the state of his current build I wouldn't wait another minute. New technology will always be "a few months away" and the upcoming 22nm CPU's or GPU's won't exactly make a staggering performance difference in WoW (or any upcoming MMO for that matter) since an i5 2500K + GTX560 Ti can already blow through performance, even more so when both are overclocked.
    The way I read it, I though he was going to wait a couple of months anyway. (I also missed the "raid wiping" part!). You're right though!

Deleted
    Ok now i've looked around and i've also been thinking, if i were to upgrade this with, lets say a new graphic card, wouldn't it be best to have a MoBo that could handel SLI/crossfire? or should i just replace the mobo with one that could?

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok now i've looked around and i've also been thinking, if i were to upgrade this with, lets say a new graphic card, wouldn't it be best to have a MoBo that could handel SLI/crossfire? or should i just replace the mobo with one that could?
    the bottom build I posted has an SLI/CF capable motherboard.

Deleted
    the bottom build I posted has an SLI/CF capable motherboard.
    Didn't see that thx for help again