I don't get the hype for SWTOR!

I don't get why everyone is excited about this game seriously. Yeah cool it will probably have a good storyline and have a "cool" journey. But, endgame you will be doing what everyone does in WoW now. Sit around, wait for raids to form, do some PvP rinse and repeat. I want more to endgame than just this basic mold of MMORPG's these days. Where are the player cities? Where are the guilds that can take over planets? Where is the unique crafting systems where items will differ depending on what materials are used?

This being said!

Who misses VANILLA Star Wars Galaxies? After SOE took over it went WAY downhill. But, I never got bored in Vanilla SWG there was so much you could do and it really had an epic feel to it when you got something accomplished. For instance, they made it near impossible to be a Jedi/Sith. Then when SOE took over they got rid of that awesome aspect of the game and made it so everyone and their kid could be Jedi's.

AND AGAIN THE CRAFTING

The crafting in SWG was so awesome. I loved the customization that came along with it. Each player city was unique in and of itself and you could have player made vendors, items laying around in a building to put on display, it really brought an epic feeling to being in a successful guild. Also, I loved how you had to survey the land to find the best resources to make the best weapons since the better mats you had the better items you received.

The one flaw to SWG though was no big PvE battles. PvP battles were epic and immense especially when you were raiding another guilds city, or raiding a main city.

Don't get me wrong there were flaws with balance and such in SWG but, all in all the gameplay is what made it so fun. There were SO many things you could do other than raiding and grinding non-stop. I miss the customization, I miss guild cities and most of all I miss unique crafting.

Let me hear your input guys' =) don't flame on me if you didn't like VANILLA SWG (pre-SOE), tell me why or why you did not like SWG, try to convince me why SWTOR is going to be awesome (get me hyped, I have lacked hype for this game since they announced it).

Wow, old-school SWG sounds like Ultima Online. I've been saying for quite some time that every game that's come out in the last 10 years has done nothing more than try to use flashy graphics to cover up the fact that they're still playing catch-up to a game that came out in the '90s, and I still stand by that sentiment. Crafting in UO was absolutely unparalleled, and in the old days when the servers were well-populated and people gave a damn about the community, before (and even for quite a while after) Trammel allowed people who didn't want to be bothered avoid being bothered... there just wasn't anything like it.

And to those of you who feel that letting people avoid being bothered was a good thing... that's generally the modern MMO crowd doing the talking. Nowadays, we all (myself included) just want to be left alone. In fact, we expect it because we've been given the chance to experience it. The fact is though, the people who didn't like getting PK'd are what made the game thrive. You'd kill them and take their stuff, and they would burst a vessel and come back after you with 7 of their friends. You'd come into a dungeon and PK 4-5 people, then get mobbed by the anti-PK guild that one of them had ICQ'd. PvPers can't keep an MMO afloat, alone. PvPers expect to die, and don't really care when they do. It takes PvEers to really bring that vitality to a PvP game.

On topic: I agree, I have no idea what the deal is with all the hype about SWTOR. Everything that I've seen or heard about it makes me think it is going to amount to little more than "WoW with laser swords". It'll be a blast for the first month... and then people will slowly stop logging in, and eventually cancel their accounts, all before the end of their free month. Whether or not they trickle back to WoW is anybody's guess though. Seems to me that so much hope has been attached to the success of SWTOR that if/when it goes the way of Rift (millions of boxes sold... couple hundred thousand active accounts) I think we may see a lot of people leaving MMOs entirely, or heading over to less time-intensive F2P fare like DCUO, Champions, or STO.

IMO, subscription-based games are dying. People like myself have been through so many pay-to-play MMOs that after a while... you just start seeing them as a money-sink. I liken MMOs to CCGs like Magic: the Gathering. It's fun at first, but once you quit one and sink a bunch of money into another... and another... and another... you start looking for something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. For CCG players, that would be something like the new "LCG" trend (like the Call of Cthulu card game). For MMO gamers, it's F2Ps and, (to a lesser extent) games like HoN and LoL. Fun games that require very little time investment and zero money, but pay HUGE dividends in the "pure fun" department.

Okay, that was way longer a response than the original post probably needed. I'm going to go watch SNL reruns now.
    Yeah We ALl do m8 guess again somting went frong well lets hope it will be fixed soon
    ...?

The only thing youre going to hear is this thread being locked.

You can have this discussion in the main swtor thread, and keeping it civilized will get you well spoken and friendly responses.

15+ Year Old Account
    We have a ginormous SWTOR thread with lots of info, and good discussion.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...arious-sources