Thread: Is it normal?

Is it normal?

0k this is my PC, (tellme if you need more info) well im asking for u, cuz i dont know if its normal that i got lag, not delay, not crashes not freezes. i want to now why my wow is on 10-20 fps, sometimes ~5fps , i know that its not "OMG! LAG! I CANT PLAY ". but i mean my PC is really good (?) i should play in 40-50 fps i guess :P. i use normal addons like recount, tidy plates, some rogue addons, and now im cheking if its some lil "fun" addon. but im asking again ¿IS IT NORMAL?

btw i play in high graphs

MY SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

OPERATING SYSTEM:
    Windows 2.6.1.7600
    CPU TYPE:
    Intel® Core™ i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz
    CPU SPEED:
    2.95 GHz
    SYSTEM MEMORY:
    3.86 GB
    VIDEO CARD MODEL:
    ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
    VIDEO CARD DRIVER:
    atiumdag.dll
    DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
    1600x900
    HARD DISK SIZE:
    205.09 GB
    HARD DISK FREE SPACE:
    179.83 GB (88%)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being that you have such a small amount of RAM and are trying to make use of some addons, that could help the problem. Also, high graphics with that video card, I'm not so sure is a good idea. I don't believe it's an exactly strong video card, especially nowadays, since it's a fairly weak'ish generation from the series of Radeon cards some 2 generations back. Your PC could surely run WotLK and previous WoW fine, but WoW's engines were updated with Cataclysm and older hardware suffers now.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Being that you have such a small amount of RAM and are trying to make use of some addons, that could help the problem. Also, high graphics with that video card, I'm not so sure is a good idea. I don't believe it's an exactly strong video card, especially nowadays, since it's a fairly weak'ish generation from the series of Radeon cards some 2 generations back. Your PC could surely run WotLK and previous WoW fine, but WoW's engines were updated with Cataclysm and older hardware suffers now.
    4GiB is a small amount in what world? 4GiB of RAM is probably more than sufficient for most users out there, and is standard. Not small. World of warcraft will not eat up over 2GiB of RAM regardless of amount of addons, nor will it be hindered by having four.

Yea, you are correct about the video card being a bit dated.
    But it should definitely run Cataclysm better than the OP suggests he already is doing; His estimations on where he should lie seem pretty accurate, assuming medium/high with shadows on low. Possibly higher.

--
    But I would advice you to update your addons, make sure they are up to date. Have you been able to run WoW better than you are at the moment? Where do you experience the most strain?

Deleted
    Apart from the CPU your PC is fairly weak. What i can advice you to do is, although i don't know your motherboard, to definitely upgrade your GPU (video card) with something along the lines of the Radeon 5600 or 5700 series and add another 4GB of ram. You will feel the impact of it. Together it shouldn't cost more than ~180-200$. Good luck

P.S. Another solution is to bring down the graphics

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 04:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    4GiB is a small amount in what world? 4GiB of RAM is probably more than sufficient for most users out there, and is standard. Not small. World of warcraft will not eat up over 2GiB of RAM regardless of amount of addons, nor will it be hindered by having four.

--
    But I would advice you to update your addons, make sure they are up to date. Have you been able to run WoW better than you are at the moment? Where do you experience the most strain?
    1. True, however, apart from WoW, the windows and another bunch of programs eat system memory, so if you think of it 2gbs goes to WoW, another 700-800 to Windows, 100 to skype or whatever and you can surely see how 4GBs just ain't enough. 2. Indeed, forgot to tell you to upgrade your add-ons

But it should definitely run Cataclysm better than the OP suggests he already is doing; His estimations on where he should lie seem pretty accurate, assuming medium/high with shadows on low. Possibly higher.
    Idk, his graphics card isn't much better than mine but I've got a better processor and more ram. I could only get like 20-25 fps with medium-high settings. I don't see him getting 40-50, but definitely higher than 5-10...

10+ Year Old Account
    turn shadows off... will solve your issues.

I have a similar card and run Ultra for everything except turn shadows off. I have a 4770,and a similar but older motherboard.
    I run 8 gig of ram, but honestly, turn shadows off, or at least down and it will run great.

If you have any out of date addons, disable them and see If your poor performance continues. Recount does this crap all the time when when It's out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamsham View Post
    1. True, however, apart from WoW, the windows and another bunch of programs eat system memory, so if you think of it 2gbs goes to WoW, another 700-800 to Windows, 100 to skype or whatever and you can surely see how 4GBs just ain't enough. 2. Indeed, forgot to tell you to upgrade your add-ons
    4GiB has been enough for a gaming-purposed computer for years. Wow won't use up more than 1.5-1.6, so I have a hard time seeing WoW and Windows together hogging up more than 2.5-2.7GiB. Please, I know enthusiasts always want to have badass rigs, but suggesting something that will not help in real-world scenarios isn't really helping.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Idk, his graphics card isn't much better than mine but I've got a better processor and more ram. I could only get like 20-25 fps with medium-high settings. I don't see him getting 40-50, but definitely higher than 5-10...
    I agree, his graphics card is the weak point in his build. It's not a gaming GPU per-se. But where are you getting 20-25 fps at those settings, and in what resolution?

I agree, his graphics card is the weak point in his build. It's not a gaming GPU per-se. But where are you getting 20-25 fps at those settings, and in what resolution?
    Org/raiding, 1920x1080

10+ Year Old Account
    also i beleive the latest drivers for ATI cards is the 11.7 suite?

Turn Shadows and Water down all the way. Those eat the biggest amount of fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Turn Shadows and Water down all the way. Those eat the biggest amount of fps.
    waters fine... shadows is the killer.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Org/raiding, 1920x1080
    Seems reasonable.
    2 073 600 is a fair bit more pixels than his 1 440 000. 44% more, in fact.
    Especially as I was more hinting toward not Org and not raiding.
    At his resolution, the 4600-series while not stellar, could work. It's pretty well-rounded with a stock i3-530.

I'm still thinking addons or wanting cache cleaned.

OMG my video card? really T_T i though was is good 1gb ddr3 :P, and i dont think i need more than 4gb ram but well i dont really know u_u. so can i do something to improve this without spending a lot of money?

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, turn off shadows = win

Quote Originally Posted by Gaarah View Post
    OMG my video card? really T_T i though was is good 1gb ddr3 :P, and i dont think i need more than 4gb ram but well i dont really know u_u. so can i do something to improve this without spending a lot of money?
    GDDR3 is a bit slower than GDDR5. :P
    The amount of VRAM is also not at all related to performance of a videocard. 4GiB RAM is enough. It's quite a perfect amount.

What is 'a lot' of money to you? While the easy solution is always to throw more money on your computer, I would recommend you to
    *) Defragment your harddrive
    *) Run the repair-tool
    *) Clear the cache of your Wow, if you're not on a subscription with limited/capped rating. (Ie, only 40GiB/month)
    *) Try completely without addons and see if the problem persists, while doing 5mans or something. Yes, even without Recount. Especially without recount.