Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Music] Lou Reed + Metallica: First Song released

Thrash Legends Metallica and Lou Reed have released the first song "The View" from their upcoming Album "Lulu"

"The View": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg

I dunno if i should laugh or cry or vomit. It just doesn't sound in anyway like Metallica. Its the same riff from start to finish.

i just don't get it. is it a joke?

the james hetfield part are somewhat ok, but lou reed sounds like so demented. (well he is OLD)

EDIT:::: ok here is the official stream: http://www.loureedmetallica.com/listen-to-lulu.php as posted in the latest post.
    Last edited by obc; 2011-10-20 at 05:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A part of me that had some hope for next Metallicas album died.
    Delu čast in oblast!
    Praise the work and give it power!

I must admit, that was really just horrible. The good thing is that it is so bad, we won't have to hear it on the radio. If it was just mediocre, they would give it a push and see if they could make it a hit. But this noise, nah, they will let it die before it ever has a chance.

Honestly, I can't walk away from that song without feeling that Metallica and Lou Reed just trolled me. That was just so so horrible.

Deleted
    LMAO! When the Hetfield singing part came in, I thought : damn! Lou Reed has nailed his voice perfectly!

Weird song! (lots of !)

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 06:13 PM ----------

I am the table!!! Tabblleee-uhhhh!!

It's like a heavy ikea advert.

It sounds... interesting.

It's mostly Reed's poetry set to a riff. It sounds cool when James kicks in, and I can't say I hate it because of Reed's part, simply because it is something very different. It's genuinely bizarre.

It's interesting to listen to, but I don't think I'm gonna listen to this album casually.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

I like it, something really different. Lou Reed's voice is strange, yes, it's more like spoken-word than singing - but it goes well. It's quite clear the album is going to tell a story, from the first song to the last so this is just part of that, which is out of place in terms of the rest of it. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was seriously beyond horrible.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Reading the comments here, I thought people were exaggerating, couldn't possibly be that bad. I was wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who'd have thought it, but...gah, can't get the words out, beyond anything I ever thought possible, but...I like this Metallica song. There I said it. >.<

I never ever thought they'd be able to make something that is worth listening too ever again, but it seems I am wrong, though I expect most of this is due to Lou Reed.

I'd give the music a fairly average 7/10 but the lyrics and the overall tone of the song, oooh 8,5/10 at least. I am now very very curious to hear more of this album, if it is more in this vein but with better music they might even be up for Grammy awards in the future, I kid you not.

I like it, something really different. Lou Reed's voice is strange, yes, it's more like spoken-word than singing - but it goes well. It's quite clear the album is going to tell a story, from the first song to the last so this is just part of that, which is out of place in terms of the rest of it. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.
    well yeah, its probably an interesting approach to tell the story. but does it have to be executed so badly? why would i suffer to such a song just to get the story. i'd be better off reading the original story/play that the album is based on. "speaking" as such isn't bad, but lou reed sounds horribely off in the song. his speaking doesn't match to the background at all. the background btw is just one riff repeated endlessly with an underwehlming solo at the end.

The thing is that not only does the song sound bad (of course there are far worse songs, FRIDAY ANYONE?) but what is worse is that here we have to former great artist that have shown us their great potential but what we have heard of them so far is just a disgrace to their legacy and what we hope they could have accomplished.

well who knows how the other 9 songs will hold up but so far i am very pessimistic.

Last edited by obc; 2011-09-26 at 11:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obc View Post

It is my sincere regret that this image is probably what main stream music lovers will take away from it.

Which is sad cause when listened to repeatedly it really starts growing on you more and more. I just wish I had the lyrics written down for easier reading cause they are very very dark, and I suspect that the aggression towards the end (the to some people so "funny" I am a table part) is clearly not the end of it and more of this anger and frustration will be vented in the album. If the music would just be a tiny bit more experimental, and maybe a bit rougher and less polished, then this could really be the makings of a very good album.

Deleted
    couldnt even listen to the whole track. this is just too horrid :S

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 12:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    It is my sincere regret that this image is probably what main stream music lovers will take away from it.

Which is sad cause when listened to repeatedly it really starts growing on you more and more. I just wish I had the lyrics written down for easier reading cause they are very very dark, and I suspect that the aggression towards the end (the to some people so "funny" I am a table part) is clearly not the end of it and more of this anger and frustration will be vented in the album. If the music would just be a tiny bit more experimental, and maybe a bit rougher and less polished, then this could really be the makings of a very good album.
    It could be the deepest intellectual work known to man, but it wouldnt change that fact that it sounds really, REALLY bad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post

Not only "main stream music lovers". I can listen to every TMV Song, Mastodon, Tool, Sigur Ros, Godspeed YOU! Black Emperor and even Björk but this...

The music is boring, the lyrics may be quiet interesting, but have zero impact on me, because of the style of the song, vocals by hetfield aren't good either, it's just completely dissonant senseless rubbish for me. I can only hope that it's a trick to make people expect a crap album and than it's a masterpiece and blows everyone away, but it's Metalica, so I doubt it will happen....

Edit: And there are better metaphors for an angry man than "TABLE!!!"
    Last edited by mmoc128c07d6b9; 2011-09-26 at 11:58 PM.

It sounds to me that Metallica's guitar and drumming has regressed even more than it has over the last 15 years. I mean yeah, Lars has always been mediocre anyways, but James and Kirk too? At least the albums from the last 15 years have had some good riffs.
    The vocals are just horrible, Lou Reed has always been bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's bad. Really bad. I tried going into it with an open mind, but damn. Lou is awful. He has no vocal cadence. And it just seems like they sat around and just jammed, recorded it, and then did vocals. I cannot believe they thought it would be a good idea to release this. They're just making themselves a target. Nobody will ever take away what Metallica did in pioneering a new brand of metal, but they should have quit while they were ahead.

This song is part of a concept album so you can't really judge it without hearing it in context. True, it's not a pop hit, but that's not Lou Reed goes for. I imagine a lot of people will have no interest in this just as other Lou Reed albums are an acquired taste (New York, Berlin, Songs for Drella), but don't let that turn you off of Metallica. This song/album does not represent a new direction for them, just a fun project with a musical legend.

I am trying not to be bias because I am not the biggest metallica fan, but that was just bad. I am all for spoken word songs (Pusifer's "Sour Grapes" comes to mind) but Lou Reed is basically just talking and not "singing" in as rhythm.

So far this has fail written (or spoken!) all over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPyramid View Post

The music is boring, the lyrics may be quiet interesting, but have zero impact on me, because of the style of the song, vocals by hetfield aren't good either, it's just completely dissonant senseless rubbish for me.
    I agree that the music sounds somewhat bland maybe, but I think it's cause the are meant to carry the lyrics, and it's a specific choice in this particular song. It is my hope that this is more or less a concept album and that listening to the album as a whole is more satisfying than hearing 1 song of it. But as of this moment we only have this song to go on and I think it starts too slow and off beat for people to give it a fair shot. We will see what the album brings at the end of October, and if it is as bad as some fear or as good as I hope it can be.

Lou Reed has been largely irrelevant for like 30 years now. Metallica have been overrated since the mid 90s. Nothing good could have come from this. It kinda sucks because for 5 years in the 70s and 5 years in the 80s these folk were responsible for some of the best music :/