Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a huge fan of metallica, and I hate this shit , thank god its a lou' reed cd , i can always blame the shitness on him.

Quote Originally Posted by obc View Post
    Thrash Legends Metallica
    hmm... Not.

I agree that the music sounds somewhat bland maybe, but I think it's cause the are meant to carry the lyrics, and it's a specific choice in this particular song.
    but this still doesn't make it right. what if i though making farting noises over one endlessly repeated riff was the best way to portrait "Faust"? would you want to listen to it? Just coz someone made a specific choice doesn't mean it a good choice?

if lou reeds talking matched to the riffs in some way and not just blandly recorded over it might have more to it.

i already said above, the song is not enough to judge the whole album. but the song itself as a stand alone product is sounds horrible to me. especially considering what these two artist should have accomplished. but well my whole opinion is the post with the pic.

hmm... Not.
    If you wouldn't count metallica as a legend even being one of "The Big Four" than who would you count? o.O they might not have aged so well but they are thrash legends.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    (IMO) The contradiction between them does not work for the song. I think I had too much of an over"load" of metallica during high school. I still like the old stuff. I just don't care.

Sounds like normal Lou Reed to me, with some shitty music in the background.

I'd go further in depth, but I'm sure it would fall upon deaf ears, because I've laughed at most of the comments in this thread.

just as terrible as gaytallica
    Metal Crusader

Just remember young ones, you haven't even heard the whole thing. The same things were said about another story album that had a flow across the whole thing, reviews were horrible, nobody got it, The Wall anyone?

Now you all listen to that while smoking whatever it is you smoke, thinking you're deep.

I agree this song is not a top 10 hit, but it doesn't appear to be trying to. I'm guessing this album will need to be judged as a whole, let's just hope there's a method to their madness.

Deleted
    I thought it couldn't get any worse than the last album O_O

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by galimim View Post
    A part of me that had some hope for next Metallicas album died.
    Why? James' vocals sounds a lot harsher and angrier and thrashy, than they have in years, and for the first time since "Garage Inc", Lars' drums aren't sounding like pots and pans... On topic, I actually like it. Realise this: It's not a Metallica record, it's a Lou Reed record with Metallica as his backing band, this is a record they did because they wanted to, not because they were expecting it to sell billions of copies.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by schweinsteiger View Post
    hmm... Not.

Hmm... Yes. Being the best selling metal band in the history of ever, being the main pioneer of thrash metal, being the main inspiration source to just about every metal band out there.... But trololo to you too.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tate View Post
    I thought it couldn't get any worse than the last album O_O
    You mean the brilliant record Death Magnetic?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Why? James' vocals sounds a lot harsher and angrier and thrashy, than they have in years, and for the first time since "Garage Inc", Lars' drums aren't sounding like pots and pans... On topic, I actually like it. Realise this: It's not a Metallica record, it's a Lou Reed record with Metallica as his backing band, this is a record they did because they wanted to, not because they were expecting it to sell billions of copies.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 01:05 PM ----------

Hmm... Yes. Being the best selling metal band in the history of ever, being the main pioneer of thrash metal, being the main inspiration source to just about every metal band out there.... But trololo to you too.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 01:06 PM ----------

You mean the brilliant record Death Magnetic?
    I agree a lot with this guy; a lot of these comments have me wondering if there are any Metallica fans here, or just the posers that liked the black album and nothing else they ever did...

I will agree that this song sounds very strange by itself, but you have to remember it's a concept album. probably ALL of the songs will sound weird when taken alone.

reserving judgement as to whether I like it or not until November 1, when I get to hear the entire thing.
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

And this right here is why megadeth is better than metallica, they have stayed consistently good (hell, I reckon even Endgame was actually a solid album).

Four horsemen was their best song, and nothing can touch it (okay, master of puppets doesnt count, shut up smart ass).
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by obc View Post
    Best image I've seen ever. Personally I'm just gonna ignore this album and wait for the next real Metallica album, gonna enjoy Worship Music and TH1RT3EN until then.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Best image I've seen ever. Personally I'm just gonna ignore this album and wait for the next real Metallica album, gonna enjoy Worship Music and TH1RT3EN until then.
    It was on /mu/ just yesterday, congratz MMO-champ for only being 1 day behind 4chan, you're moving up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    And this right here is why megadeth is better than metallica, they have stayed consistently good (hell, I reckon even Endgame was actually a solid album).

Four horsemen was their best song, and nothing can touch it (okay, master of puppets doesnt count, shut up smart ass).
    Consistently good? Ever heard of "Risk", "The World Needs a Hero" or "United Abominations"? There is little to no consistency in those records.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

And this right here is why megadeth is better than metallica, they have stayed consistently good
    Missed Risk, did you?

Also, since when are the songs on concept albums not able to stand alone? I can name dozens of concept albums where the songs don't sound like crap just taken on their own merits...2 of the bigger ones that spring to mind being Operation:mindcrime and Quadrophenia. Sure, the lyrics and story make more sense taken in context, but if you just randomly have say, The Real Me or Revolution Calling pop up in a playlist, the songs don't suddenly suck because you didn't hear the rest of the album with them.

As for this song, just...bleh. Reed's spoken word approach might work if it matched the cadence of the music in some way, but...it just doesn't. It sounds like an angry old man just rambling about something while some repetitive, unrelated music plays in the background. I love old Metallica, but this...not so much.

Nah, Megadeth haven't stayed consistent at all. That doesn't mean its bad (except for Risk and World Needs A Hero), I personally love albums like Youthanasia, but they're not consistent at all. Also, why doesn't Master of Puppets count? I still don't get this whole Megadeth/Metallica arguing, even Mustaine have settled peace, that shows that anyone can do it, if only they wanted to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungtah View Post
    It was on /mu/ just yesterday, congratz MMO-champ for only being 1 day behind 4chan, you're moving up.
    Im not going to 4chan, so it's no wonder I haven't seen it, I'm scared to ever set my mouse there again o_o
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2011-09-27 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Just remember young ones, you haven't even heard the whole thing. The same things were said about another story album that had a flow across the whole thing, reviews were horrible, nobody got it, The Wall anyone?

Now you all listen to that while smoking whatever it is you smoke, thinking you're deep.

I agree this song is not a top 10 hit, but it doesn't appear to be trying to. I'm guessing this album will need to be judged as a whole, let's just hope there's a method to their madness.
    This guy speaks truth, and said it much nicer than I would have.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbadxampl View Post
    I agree a lot with this guy; a lot of these comments have me wondering if there are any Metallica fans here, or just the posers that liked the black album and nothing else they ever did...
    The black album was the turning point for metallica, where they went from thrash metal gods to bland, over the hill "hard rockers". Everything before that was almost 100% awesome. Everything after it was almost 100% shit.

I've always suspected that they ran out of Cliff Burton / Dave Mustaine ideas/riffs somewhere after ...and justice for all, at which point Hetfield's shitty writing turned them into a bunch of pantywaists.

Anyway, Lou Reed is one of the coolest ever. I'm at work so I can't listen, but I imagine it will probably be Lou talking over some shit bad Metallica "music".

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 01:55 PM ----------

Four horsemen was written almost entirely by Dave Mustaine, so that's probably why you like it so much (being a megadeth > metallica guy).

I agree though.

Sounds like a Bob Dylan parody to me.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow definently not something I find chill listening too, its just boring... :-( shame!