Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Hiccup Issue in new build

Mmo-champion,

I have spent the last 3 weeks going through various websites for help on this issue. I cannot seem to find an answer to it, and i'm sort of at a loss right now. If anyone has any idea on what could be the matter, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance if you take the time to read it.

My brother recently built a computer for me, and we have run into what seems to be a major problem. It seems like my computer "hiccups". For a brief moment, my computer will freeze, and there will be a very odd sound coming through the speakers.

here is my build

Running Windows 7

Power Supply - Antec 650 Watt

mb - asrock p67 extreme4

graphics card- GTX560ti

RAM- Corsair XMS3 ddr3 8gb

Heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1 tb 32mb cache, 7200 RPM

Processor - Intel core i5

(If I am missing any parts that are important, please let me know, I am not super computer savvy, but I do understand most of the basics.)

Here are the things I have done to try and fix this problem that is plaguing my system. Virus Scan, Reinstall Windows, Reslot the ram, Reslot the graphics card, Reset the motherboard to factory settings by changing the pins from 1,2 to 3,4, then back to 1,2.

None of these seem to have fixed the problem. If you guys have any suggestions at all, I would appreciated it completely.

One last weird piece to the puzzle. Today around 1 is when I changed the pins on the motherboard. The problem didn't start up until around 11 O'clock, the computer has been on the whole time. I played a couple games of starcraft and borderlands with no problems. I was watching an episode of game of thrones, plugged my ipod in, and about 10 minutes later started to experience the problem. I am not sure if it's related to that at all.

Again any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

15+ Year Old Account
    So in what kind of situations does it happen usually? Playing games, playing video, idle (e.g. graphics related or not)? Something similar happening at the moment with my setup but it's really old graphics card (hd 4850) and happens only while playing WoW. Screen freezes and you get this weird continuous sound (altering between like 2 high notes, sounds extremely annoying), difference being that it's not a hiccup per se as it doesn't go away and I have to reboot. I think in my case it's just graphics card breaking apart.

Have you installed the newest drivers (chipset, graphics, sound, network etc)? Have you tried with a different graphics card would the problem persist?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep i have instaleld all the new drivers, I haven't tried with a different graphics card. This problem actually occurs at any moment, while i'm surfing the web, playing a game, or listening to music. This hiccup doesn't happen all the time either, only once and awhile.

I'm short on time so I'm going to slam this out and hope it helps. I was a computer tech for 7 years (self employed, not some low-grade geek squad scammer. yeah feel that hostility lol). -digress- anyway, the symptoms you speak of are common and typically easy to troubleshoot, but it will take a few shutdowns/startups and a modest amount of patience.

Here's some insight on lockups, even temporary ones: if you can move your mouse while the computer is frozen, it is almost certainly a software issue - if your mouse is frozen while the computer is frozen, it is almost certainly a hardware (memory, specifically) issue.

On that, try these two things:
    1) Swap memory slots. memory in slot 1 now goes in slot 2. Memory in slot 2 now goes in slot 1. If your condition changes, you know your memory is to blame. Even if you have just one memory card, change the slot it is in.
    2) Remove your graphics card and try using the on-board graphics. Painful, yes. Telling, yes.
    3) You also spoke of a noise coming through your speakers. If it was static, it could be a few things. If it was a buzzing, try going into the device manager and disabling (not uninstalling, just disable) your audio. See if that fixes your problem. If it does, it could be because hardware rendering of your audio needs is too much for the device. In this case, go into the BIOS and disable the audio (if you cant do that just keep it disabled in Windows) and purchase a card.

Anyway I hope this helped but I'm out of time. Ultimately, just keep troubleshooting one thing at a time. I can tell you from my experiences that it's not always what you know about the computer - often its about your persistence and patience. You will figure it out. So put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and good luck.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you Goosfraba, I will check those things out. Like i said these freezes are for like a second, but my mouse definitely freezes, because it seems like it jumps across the screen when it stops freezing. I have 2x4 gb ram so I will check those out. It was more of a buzzing noise, and i will disable the audio. Someone told me I may not have enough power going to my system, I'm not sure if thats the case yet. I have also heard that I might have gotten a faulty board. Regardless, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.