Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Chipset doubts: Z68 or P67

K so a while ago I posted a system spec on this site to see what you people think about it. After some thinking I came to the conclusion that it might be an idea to get a Z68 board. Thinking abit in the future. The truth of the matter is, after seeing the Z68 roundup on ww w|overclockersclub|com/|reviews/|z68_mother board_roundup/, I'm not sure to get either a Z68 or P67. The Z68's seem to OC lower then the P67's.
    I know the Z68 offers some more new features:
    1. Integrated graphics support
    2. Use of Quicksync for video transcoding
    3. SSD Caching

But is it worth getting a Z68 motherboard over a P67 motherboard futurwise?

15+ Year Old Account
    They're virtually identical in terms of performance, the Z68 just has more features. There's no real reason not to get a Z68
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

The mileage will vary, but if the rest of the features are identical (including pricerange) then no reason to not pick Z68.

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 05:15 PM ----------

That said, there's no reason to get the Z68 if the following is true:
    - You don't need any form of video-encoding.
    - There is no need for integrated graphics whatsoever.
    - You have a full-sized SSD where you keep just about everything.

If you have an SSD and a normal HDD, then a smaller SSD to help with the things on the normal HDD may be worth the minor expense of the board though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll continue to preach that LucidLogix can't do software. Do google up some images over their sucky non-saying interface.

Even in D-mode (and yes you need to enable D-mode to make use of quicksync if your monitor is connected to the discrete graphics card.) It messes up color depth for me in games, while it's supposed to be oh so non-intrusive compared to I-mode.

I regret not going for the P67 Deluxe, really. The small amount of money saved could've been better spent on... anything!

That said if you want Intel SRT, go for it.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-09-26 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergov View Post
    3. SSD Caching
    caching mode only works for SSDs up to 64GB, no?

I am building a system that recommends a z68 and doesn't even mention a p67 (for clocking an i5 2500 to 4.0GHz). I just emailed some tech people there to see if a P67 board will also work so I'm extremely interested in this thread.
    ..........gtfo for now

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burkhartt View Post

I am building a system that recommends a z68 and doesn't even mention a p67 (for clocking an i5 2500 to 4.0GHz). I just emailed some tech people there to see if a P67 board will also work so I'm extremely interested in this thread.
    First off, I hope you mean i5-2500K.
    Secondly, unless you need one of the features of the Z68, get the P67, I bet those "tech people" are just trying to make a few extra bucks off you, don't let them!
    Third, I ****in LOVE Mila Kunis. :3
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    First off, I hope you mean i5-2500K.
    Secondly, unless you need one of the features of the Z68, get the P67, I bet those "tech people" are just trying to make a few extra bucks off you, don't let them!
    Third, I ****in LOVE Mila Kunis. :3
    yeah i said i5 2500, is that different from i5 2500k? i dunno :P

i'm waiting to hear back abut the P67 options because basically I don't particularly want to get hosed on a board, even if it is $40-50.

and yes mila kunis is the bomb!
    ..........gtfo for now

Deleted
    I do not know if I'm going for the Storage thing. Most likely not. So getting a P8P67 Pro or Evo seems to be more then enough. Thanks for the info already.

i'm waiting to hear back abut the P67 options because basically I don't particularly want to get hosed on a board, even if it is $40-50.

Yes, the 2500 and 2500k are different. Very similar but the K series is slightly newer and is designed to be overclocked. They simplified the OC process and made them more stable when OCed.

I am intrigued by this thread, choosing a mobo is the part I understand the least about.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Normally I find they're 10 bucks more expensive at most, but some of the more feature-rich cost more, such as the Gigabyte board with an onboard pre-mounted SSD.

10+ Year Old Account

i5-2500 is a locked multiplier, it will not reach 4.0GHz. If those tech people told you that, then do not listen to anything else they have to say.

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 07:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    Yes, the 2500 and 2500k are different. Very similar but the K series is slightly newer and is designed to be overclocked. They simplified the OC process and made them more stable when OCed.

I am intrigued by this thread, choosing a mobo is the part I understand the least about.
    The K is not newer at all, actually. In fact, the i5-2500K and i7-2600K were the first Sandybridge processors to be released, if memory serves me right.
    "A flower.

Tech people in stores... /quiver with rage & froth

10+ Year Old Account
    this is the quote from the guy at NCIX:

"The reason we currently limit the motherboard options is due to having validated Gigabyte Z68 platform to work reliably and consistently with these components. We do have plans for ASUS pre-OC'd systems as well, due to launch next month."
    ..........gtfo for now

Gigabyte is by no means awful, quite great in fact. But, limiting the choices gets a frown from me.

i5-2500K is a better option if you intend to overclock it. K means its multiplier and turbo-multi is unlocked up to 52, I think.

As for SSDs, it works with any size, but it will only pull 64 GiB to the caching. Or 64 GB, I'm not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is the quote from the guy at NCIX:

"The reason we currently limit the motherboard options is due to having validated Gigabyte Z68 platform to work reliably and consistently with these components. We do have plans for ASUS pre-OC'd systems as well, due to launch next month."
    I place my face in my palm.

[mod warning: Since you are already providing relevant information in a manner of discussion, I will not infract you, but keep in mind that memes and unconstructive replies in the future WILL be considered spam and/or derailing.]
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-09-26 at 08:51 PM.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure I'm echoing some people in here, but as it stands, there's no real reason to not get a z68. You might not even use the features, but you can always rest assured that they're there in the case that you change your mind down the road. There's virtually no performance difference between the two, and roughly $10 in price. (Usually.)

Deleted
    Where have you been lately Fuzzy?

Welcome back!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Where have you been lately Fuzzy?

Welcome back!
    Conflict of self/moaping over not getting moderator. I'm not going anywhere though. ^^
    (Lets not turn this into an off topic thread, the mods are more afoot now than ever. x3)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Conflict of self/moaping over not getting moderator. I'm not going anywhere though. ^^
    (Lets not turn this into an off topic thread, the mods are more afoot now than ever. x3)
    Oh.. That's sad.. I was always thinking of you as a Mod.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I place my face in my palm.
    I would love to have some useful feedback to tell them they are being complete and utter spanners about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I'm sure I'm echoing some people in here, but as it stands, there's no real reason to not get a z68. You might not even use the features, but you can always rest assured that they're there in the case that you change your mind down the road. There's virtually no performance difference between the two, and roughly $10 in price. (Usually.)
    Yeah, where I'm buying it, it is like $14 difference.
    ..........gtfo for now