i7 875k vs i5 2500k

so yea , my current rig is
    1156 socket alienware mobo... (yea i know..)
    i5 650 dual core was at 3.2ghz stock i O`c it to 4.1ghz (water cooled)
    12gig of ddr3 1333
    gtx 560ti evga
    500gig 7200 rpm hardrive.
    all that running under win7 64

so my question is : it is worth getting an i7 875k unlocked processor or plain simply get a new mob and processor of the new gen aka i5 2500k along with a p67?

think for pure performance not price cause i do know its cheaper to go the new generation route.

all ideas are welcome

even a complete overhaul :P

Deleted
    Considering the price of the Lynnfield, I'd say if you are going to do anything it would be to go for the 2500k. But, why upgrade? Your computer is fine and new hardware is coming late this year/early next. I say hold out a bit longer.

i5-2500K is around 20-30% faster than i7-875K in games at default clocks. You can add on top of that Sandy Bridges overclock much higher so the final difference might be around 40-50% in WoW framerates.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

i5 2500k is a beast processor. i dont know what 870/875's are going for atm but i think around 280ish where as the i5 is going for 200-230 with shipping. just like vess said he oc potential is amazing and i am pretty sure it tops the 875 in almost every area. pretty sure you could also get a bundle mobo/2500k for around 330 or less which in essence is just a little more expensive then what i see a 870 going for on newegg. the 2500k will last you for a long time and is truly an amazing cpu.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stylesj View Post
    i5 2500k is a beast processor. i dont know what 870/875's are going for atm but i think around 280ish where as the i5 is going for 200-230 with shipping. just like vess said he oc potential is amazing and i am pretty sure it tops the 875 in almost every area. pretty sure you could also get a bundle mobo/2500k for around 330 or less which in essence is just a little more expensive then what i see a 870 going for on newegg. the 2500k will last you for a long time and is truly an amazing cpu.
    Newegg.com has the i7-875K at a whopping $360.... how they can honestly put that pricetag on such old hardware is beyond me.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

If you'd already have the 875K and wanted to upgrade to an i5-2500K, I'd tell you no. If your only Lynnfield option is the 875K, I'd ask you whether you can get it cheap. If yes, do so. If not, of the options, I'd choose i5-2500K. But I wouldn't honestly update from a clarkdale to a Sandy Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Newegg.com has the i7-875K at a whopping $360.... how they can honestly put that pricetag on such old hardware is beyond me.
    That's what they always do? And it's not really "such old hardware".

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would swap out to the i5 2500K rather than the 875K. Price to performance the Sandby Bridge gets the nod. However Intel's new chips are slated to release fourth quarter '11 or first quarter '12 last time I saw an article.