Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cant Open 95% Of Hyperlinks In IE 8??

Got a new laptop running Windows 7 32bit and IE8, and now I cant open most hyperlinks. For example I can open links @ the MMO home page, but when people post a link in a thread, I cant open it. When I click on it, it does nothing at all. I cant even right click-open it??? I have also noticed some "buttons" on websites will not open as well. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Deleted
    I don't know what the problem is but to me it sounds like some extra security that is stopping you from opening suspicious links and it's obviously not working the way it should (maybe you accidently changed a setting to "MAXIMUM SECURITY"?)

You could also try to download Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and see if you still have the problem. I think most people on these forums would agree that Firefox & Chrome works better than IE (not to say that the latest versions of IE are terrible but it would be perfect timing to switch since you are having a problem with IE).

Switch to firefox imo.
    So much better.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Stay on topic people. The rules are very clear regarding brand bashing. Either try to help the OP or don't post at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from the IE hate, which is totally unnecessary, I'd honestly agree, the easiest way to solve this would be to update to IE9 or hop over to a different browser. I'm sure it's some security setting, so reinstalling may also work.

10+ Year Old Account
    have you tried upgrading to IE 9?

Quote Originally Posted by Porkitozh View Post
    I don't know what the problem is but to me it sounds like some extra security that is stopping you from opening suspicious links and it's obviously not working the way it should (maybe you accidently changed a setting to "MAXIMUM SECURITY"?)

I checked that and it is set on medium
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

nobody will take this thread seriously till you try either firefox or chrome.

If the problem persists, do tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could also be your antivirus on too strict of settings, I suggest checking that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    have you tried upgrading to IE 9?
    Yes, but this is a work laptop and I cant update it yet. btw I have a windows xp laptop as well and it is working fine. Just trying to figure out why the Windows7/IE8 combo isnt working. Thanks for the help

Deleted
    true m8 use firefox or chrome
    and forget IE exists

mod warning - please don't brand bash. IE has its uses, as does every browser. Be constructive with your reasoning and arguments. ~Uggor
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-09-26 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadcore View Post
    true m8 use firefox or chrome
    and forget IE exists

mod warning - please don't brand bash. IE has its uses, as does every browser. Be constructive with your reasoning and arguments. ~Uggor

Since this isnt "my" laptop I am forced to use what they "make" us use.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    Can't you just take it in and make them fix it then?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yes, but this is a work laptop and I cant update it yet. btw I have a windows xp laptop as well and it is working fine. Just trying to figure out why the Windows7/IE8 combo isnt working. Thanks for the help
    This may be your problem. Not sure what your company's AUP is but in many companies (particularly government agencies) there are strict policies on client PC's that will block most content.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Can't you just take it in and make them fix it then?
    It has about came to that, but I figured it was an easy fix but it is starting to look like it is not so easy

I've never had that happen in any browser, so my guess is some browser addon like a "toolbar" or just something thats hijacking your surfing is messing with your URLs. I'm using IE, Chrome and Mozilla all for different purposes, but all of them work just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    thankfully they can't force you to use their laptop
    Find out if they are indeed blocking stuff and if so give it back and buy one that don't have all the bs.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    thankfully they can't force you to use their laptop
    Find out if they are indeed blocking stuff and if so give it back and buy one that don't have all the bs.
    I think he means it's a work or school laptop that he can't install/change stuff on.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    I think he means it's a work or school laptop that he can't install/change stuff on.
    Correct. It is a laptop my company provided me, but I will just call our helpdesk and see if this is a known issue

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Could be a DNS resolution issue. Try clearing your DNS cache, and/or checking DNS settings. Usually you want to set it to auto. If it's set to a static DNS server and it's a mobile laptop... chances are you're trying to talk to a DNS server that doesn't exist except on a specific network. Being that it's a company laptop, there is a chance it's set statically to their internal DNS recurser.
    red panda red panda red panda!