Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking for Resto advice for 5-mans

I know 5 mans aren't really the big leagues but at the moment it's what I have time for, unfortunately.

Last night I was in a ZA group with a moderately geared pally tank (in 346's and ZA gear). For the life of me I could not keep him up on trash of all things! I've healed ZA successfully a handful of times but this guy kept dropping like a stone on Nalorakk's trash.

My strategy was to toss a Rejuv onto him right before the pull and to then quickly stack LB up to 3, plus toss a RG just to keep him topped off. Even after that I found myself spamming Swiftmend and Nourish just to keep him above 30%. We did have CC on some of the mobs as well but it just seemed that this tank was eating heals.

That being said I have noticed that healing pally tanks has been very hit or miss for me. Some seem to be very easy to heal while others it's an enormous struggle to keep alive.

What I normally do in 5-mans is keep a full stack of LB on the tank and a Rejuv for Swiftmend, so that the melee get the free heal from Effloresence. I toss WG out when it's up on either the tank or whoever has lowish health. I do have HT and NS macro'ed as an oh shit button which is usually enough to buy me a few seconds breathing room. During heavy AoE damage I either pop Tranq or swap to ToL and start stacking LB on everyone in addition to WG. Most of the time it works fine.

Is there anything I should be doing differently and did I just happen to grab a mediocre/shitty tank last night? My druid's armory is linked below and I am aware that I am not at haste cap for 10 mans and my enchants could be a bit better (I'm broke 90% of the time).

Thank you for the advice!
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    LBx3, rejuv, regrowth, HT... swiftmend HT.. HT HT HT HT HT HT if u cant handle that just pop tree and inervate.. and go balls to the wall.

also u have some weird enchants.. and ur reforging into haste when you should be spirit.. and if not spirit then haste gloves should have haste enchant.. and are u exalted to therazane?

10+ Year Old Account
    Using the Inscrip enchant and I do intend to tweak my enchants and gear when I get home tonight. I figured part of my problem was gear.

Deleted
    Honestly, Nalorakks trash hits pretty hard on ANY tank. It's the bears, and the debuff they put up.

I'm geared at around 378 average, and I still take quite a few heavy hits from those guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bah my post got eaten!

@Celticmoon: Didn't even register to me that he was a stam stacker. I just looked him up on the Armory and sure enough he was. Sure as hell explains the sizeable health pool he had for 5-man gear. Most of it was also reforged for Mastery but I have no clue if pallies benefit from that. Dodge and Parry looked iffy. Makes a lot more sense as to why he dropped as quickly and nothing I did kept him up. I think I'll still tweak my reforges and enchants and start using HT off of NS.

@Ixuzcc: I hate the bear packs so much. Even Jan'alai gives me less problems than the bears, and I hate that fight!

Another factor - one that I encounter - is some tanks are excellent of utilizing all their cooldowns, and at the proper times, and some not so much. Tank cooldowns can go a long way to helping the healer out quite a bit in a sticky/tough situation.

I'm in mostly 391 gear, and I still sometimes find myself struggling with tanks on this trash with minimal gear and especially ones that don't utilize their cooldowns. Try to have your LB already stacked before the tank pulls - saves you the GCD's of having to put it up. Basically sit there and roll Healing Touch on the tank, even if he is at near full health, because when it starts to drop, it can drop fast - and utilize your SM and NS/HT for emergencies.
    Last edited by Songweaver; 2011-09-27 at 02:37 AM.

Deleted
    You were both at entry-itemlevel, so it is meant to be no "run throu"
    Already mentioned:
    - HT instead of nourish
    - Tank not using cooldowns (pally=3 cooldowns + maybe a trinket)
    - Tank (or ret/rogue/etc) not using stun (Rider @50% -> Stun -> Kill without a bear add)
    - a stamina-stacking tank (mastery is the way to go for a pally and its point for point more damage-reduction then dodge or parry: a low dodge/parry percentage (25-30% combined) is right)

- Wrong kill order (esp. @4-pack axethrower/medicineman/2 riders) and thats why:
    The Axethrower has a stun-ability; a stunned tank cant avoid/dodge/block -> Pain......
    The rider calls his bear who does a 20k armor-debuff

Now take a grp who ccs the medicine man, but spreads their damage all over the 3 remaining targets and you get:
    - 5 Mobs (2 riders, 2 bears, 1 axeman)
    - 2 armor-debuffs (almost TRIPLE physical damage taken - minus 20k armor per debuff=zero armor=~60% damage-reduction missing)
    - a stunned tank
    - a unhappy healer who is blamed for a wipe

Stack Lifebloom to 3 and spam Nourish.

I wouldn't worry too much as many of the ZA trash packs are in fact more difficult than some of the bosses.

But anyway, LBx3 on tank before the pull, add rejuv, then nourish or HT if the tank is taking heavy damage. Then, as you say you have SM and NS+HT if he dips a bit low.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babytaco View Post
    Stack Lifebloom to 3 and spam Nourish.
    If both (tank and healer) are in half-decent gear and the tank doesn't use cooldowns people are going to fall over if you just use 3xlb and nourish.

Deleted
    Surprised that noones mentioned this, the bears before nalorakk enrage which is what makes them hit like trucks, if you keep an eye out and soothe when they do then it should reduce the damage massively

I did not know this, +1 cookie for you!

Deleted
    My guess is that you had an undergeared tank not using any CD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    Surprised that noones mentioned this, the bears before nalorakk enrage which is what makes them hit like trucks, if you keep an eye out and soothe when they do then it should reduce the damage massively
    Really?! Sweet! Soothe actually proves itself useful! I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    Really? wonder when they changed that, last time I healed them packs, the 100% damage done thing wasnt counted as an enrage.

But, as said before, spam Healing Touch+hots, pop Tree. Tanks should pop at least one CD on the first bears, and 2 CDs on the second pack. If tank isnt, tank is nub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

If you have taken Nature's Bounty talent then always ensure to have 3 Rejuv's. 30% off Nourish is super. In addition if you also have Nature's Grace then that's an additional 15% haste.

I had replied a while back to a similar thread regarding this trash mob. Will edit this post if I am able to find that link.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Really? wonder when they changed that, last time I healed them packs, the 100% damage done thing wasn't counted as an enrage.

But, as said before, spam Healing Touch+hots, pop Tree. Tanks should pop at least one CD on the first bears, and 2 CDs on the second pack. If tank isn't, tank is nub
    The bears can be dispelled only if there is no rider on them. If the bear becomes enraged with the rider on it, that cannot be dispelled (because you can't target the bear at that time).

Also, in Cataclysm that has always been an enrage effect and so it could always be dispelled (again assuming the bear was enraged and target-able).

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If both (tank and healer) are in half-decent gear and the tank doesn't use cooldowns people are going to fall over if you just use 3xlb and nourish.
    Of course you can't always get away with just Nourishing. Use CD's accordingly. Communicate with the tank to use CD's. Throw up a Rejuv/Swiftmend if it's needed. I'm just saying, LB to 3 and Nourish spam is the basic idea of healing. And it works perfectly when your group isn't mental lol.

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by palthis View Post
    If you have taken Nature's Bounty talent then always ensure to have 3 Rejuv's. 30% off Nourish is super. In addition if you also have Nature's Grace then that's an additional 15% haste.

I had replied a while back to a similar thread regarding this trash mob. Will edit this post if I am able to find that link.
    Except for spamming Rejuv just for 30% off Nourish is a waste of mana.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babytaco View Post
    Of course you can't always get away with just Nourishing. Use CD's accordingly. Communicate with the tank to use CD's. Throw up a Rejuv/Swiftmend if it's needed. I'm just saying, LB to 3 and Nourish spam is the basic idea of healing. And it works perfectly when your group isn't mental lol.
    Well, the main problem that was mentioned was the trash right before Nalorakk and it definitely won't work there so it feels like a reckless way to sum everything up with 3xLB->Nourish, that's why I had to question it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefix View Post
    Now take a grp who ccs the medicine man, but spreads their damage all over the 3 remaining targets and you get:
    - 5 Mobs (2 riders, 2 bears, 1 axeman)
    - 2 armor-debuffs (almost TRIPLE physical damage taken - minus 20k armor per debuff=zero armor=~60% damage-reduction missing)
    - a stunned tank
    - a unhappy healer who is blamed for a wipe
    What are you on about? Please do not go around babbling nonsense.

The bears only appear when the riders hit 30% hp. If you get 2 riders + 2 bears, that group sucks at focus firing 1 target. That is DPs's fault, not tank's or healer's.

And why would you cc medicine man instead of the stunner mob? CC axethrower to prevent stuns, kill medicine man 1st to prevent annoying bubbles/heals from totems.

I believe you can root either the medicine man or axethrower but not riders, but only after they have been aggroed. I might be wrong though as I've seen CCs fail (immune) and succeed but never noticed when and how.