Upgrading for new motherboard/memory

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a Motherboard and Memory i am looking to upgrade my current PC.

I am currently using a AMD Phenom II x4 955 black edition 3.2ghz Processor which is AM3. I am also using a ASUS am2+ board with DDR 2 memory.

I would like to upgrade to a AM3 board with DDR3 memory to try and increase my performance and allow for me to do more upgrades later on.

Any suggestions would be helpfull and appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    Any sort of budget? You really won't notice a massive performance increase by upgrading your motherboard, and the RAM will be minimal at best in games.

If you're upgrading your mobo I'd suggest getting an AM3+ motherboard so you have the option of upgrading your cpu to the bulldozer line when they come out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I am currently using 2gb of DDR2 so i figure upgrading to a new MB with more memory might be better.

I am lookin at the $150-200.

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    If you're upgrading your mobo I'd suggest getting an AM3+ motherboard so you have the option of upgrading your cpu to the bulldozer line when they come out.
    That sounds like a great plan. So if anyone has suggestions on a AM3+ board with some good DDR3 memory i'd appreciate that!

Quote Originally Posted by Felthersnatch View Post
    I am currently using 2gb of DDR2 so i figure upgrading to a new MB with more memory might be better.

I am lookin at the $150-200.
    Yea 2gb is a bit weak right now lol. May or may not improve performance in current games... hard to say. (though in a year or 2 you will definitely be having problems with it, so probably best to get it upgraded)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128519
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314

8gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram and an am3+ board.. best option imo.
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-09-26 at 09:11 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Looks like with that combo i'll be coming out right at the $150. Are there any suggestions also for a heatsink? Im still using the stock one so i don't know if that could possibly help me at all either.

Looks like with that combo i'll be coming out right at the $150. Are there any suggestions also for a heatsink? Im still using the stock one so i don't know if that could possibly help me at all either.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065
    That one is really good, especially for the price.
    Not really needed though unless you overclock the cpu.

You need to have a big enough case for that cooler.
    Most +$50 cases have enough room for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-CROSSHA...7071738&sr=8-1

This board will support the new upcoming Bulldozer Cores from amd aswell, so its a good investment, Dual channel ddr3 slots is more than suffecient.
    It supports stuff like three way crossfire, build in Oc button, onboard start and reset. And many more features.
    And for 190£ thats a good deal
    8 gb of cosair vengeance is more than enough for todays games =) 2x4 sticks id recommend.

"edit"
    Didnt see your range was 150-200$ before posting, but taken into consideration this board will be able to support newer cores and therefor its lifespand is drasticly increased.
    Defo worth the money, heck i even bought one a couple of days ago
    Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Sorry to keep bothering you, but what would you say my best option would be to upgrade to increase the performance? The only thing i haven't post'd really spec wise is my videocard which is a gts450.

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 09:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    You need to have a big enough case for that cooler.
    Most +$50 cases have enough room for it.
    Ya my case is big enough for it, i generally don't even have the side on it.

Sorry to keep bothering you, but what would you say my best option would be to upgrade to increase the performance? The only thing i haven't post'd really spec wise is my videocard which is a gts450.

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 09:22 PM ----------

Ya my case is big enough for it, i generally don't even have the side on it.
    Upgrading the mobo + memory would be the best upgrade for general use.
    Upgrading the gpu would be a better upgrade for gaming.
    It really depends on which you value more.

Also I'd need to know what power supply you have to see if it supports a gpu upgrade.

If you decide to go with a gpu I'd recommend:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102948 (6870, $150 after rebate)
    or if you can stretch your budget..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125363 (560ti, $213 after rebate, including shipping)

edit: keep in mind that you'll need to upgrade the mobo + ram soon if you go with the gpu upgrade.
    It might be good to upgrade the gpu now then wait a bit till you can afford to upgrade the mobo + cpu + ram all at once.

im using a 650w corsair power supply.

im using a 650w corsair power supply.
    yea that's plenty for any upgrades.

Sorta disappointing that the video card would be what i need to upgrade. Since its one of the newer parts that i have in the PC

Getting an AM3+ motherboard will be a nice upgrade. Not so much performance wise as support for future technology and faster CPUs. And maybe better overclocking.
    Upgrading the graphics card will give you more fps in games.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-26 at 09:40 PM.

Oh also what games do you mostly play? If it's mostly mmo/rts games... like wow/sc2/swtor.. etc... my advice would be to get the mobo + ram + cpu cooler upgrade (and oc the cpu)... would have a bigger impact.
    The 450 isn't that old yet... still enough for good settings on those types of games, and reasonable settings even on intense games.

I play wow.
    generally play at 1680x1050
    i have all settings down to low and i can get 20-30fps on most fights.

The main reason i'd be wanting to upgrade is i'd like to beable to start frapsing our kills and maybe streaming.

I play wow.
    generally play at 1680x1050
    i have all settings down to low and i can get 20-30fps on most fights.

The main reason i'd be wanting to upgrade is i'd like to beable to start frapsing our kills and maybe streaming.
    Hmm you should get much better than that on a 450... maybe the ram really is bottlenecking it lol.
    If you want to fraps you should have a separate hard drive to fraps to, to reduce the performance impact.

I do two 500gb
    Good, you should be good to go with the mobo + ram + cooler upgrade then.
    I'd expect your fps to go up with the upgrade as well.. hard to say for sure though.