Druid with a clue, still asking for advice

I guess Im not allowed to post links yet so I cant link my armory, but if you look up Boomy on Khaz'goroth you can have a look.

Between a couple websites and a spreadsheet I am fairly positive that I am near perfect gemming/enchanting/reforging with my current gear. I know that unless the socket bonus is 20+ int that it is better to gem +40 int, but if I drop one of my 20int/20haste gems I drop below a haste breakpoint that gives me an extra tick on my dot. I understand that I really need to replace my helm but until something better drops its the best I have.

As you can see from my armory I am currently working on heroics but a current fight of mine sparked me posting this thread.

Last night we did normal Ragnaros for some tier head tokens and I finished the fight at 23754 dps. I feel this is decently low for my gear level and I am trying to figure out why.

After analyzing the logs afterwards I found that both of my dots are near 95% uptime so thats not the problem. As far as my rotation:

•I pre-pot, pop trees, and pop my racial about 3 seconds before the fight starts and then start casting a starsurge

•I then apply both dots, pop starfall and then starfire

•Once I hit solar I detonate my shrooms, reapply both dots, then wrath

•Before leaving solar i reapply both dots and then wrath to lunar

•I starsurge off cooldown

•I try and get off at least one starfire after reaching lunar so that when i reapply my dots I have them ticking all the way back to solar

Im not sure what else I could be doing but the other boomkin in my guild who is only 2 ilvl higher than me says he does the exact same thing as me, yet he finishes at 2k higher dps.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a clue about balance spec but
    I feel this is decently low for my gear level and I am trying to figure out why.
    the other boomkin in my guild who is only 2 ilvl higher than me says he does the exact same thing as me, yet he finishes at 2k higher dps.
    I wouldn't mind 2k dps difference that much to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Booomy View Post
    Last night we did normal Ragnaros for some tier head tokens and I finished the fight at 23754 dps. I feel this is decently low for my gear level and I am trying to figure out why.
    Either the other moonkin good better luck with raggies abilities (i.e. less movement needed), or had a better strategy for the movement phases of the fight :>

Deleted
    A 2k difference is all about min/maxing your 'rotation'. It is about refreshing DoTs when they need to be but not doing it before the 2nd to last tick such that you've wasted time you could have cast something else. It is about using whatever movement you do have to make wisely: either drop mushrooms (even if its just one) or refreshing DoTs. It is about not casting Wrath or Starfire after an Eclipse has proc'ed (unless you specifically want to maintain the Eclipse for something like burning Sons or lining up with Bloodlust/Heroism/Time Warp). It is about using mushrooms as often as possible (for Ragnaros, that's for whatever initial Son you are assigned to, for the molten seed spawns, and then on Ragnaros immediately following those 2 add phases placing them before he resurfaces).

One 'mistake' I'd say you're making is refreshing dots at the start AND end of solar. That is 4 GCDs, or almost 3 Wraths. You just want to refresh the dots sometime within solar eclipse, not at the start AND end. This way you'll gain another Wrath cast, which is much greater damage than the refreshed dots will give you.

Otherwise, I would mind a 2k dps difference because that's a lot and I wouldn't default to excusing "luck" because that's not taking ownership and pushing for every last drop of performance.

Deleted
    the combat logs would help a bunch.

Im gonna add something new to the table, eclipse management.
    What if he was in solar eclipse for every single seed-elemental thingie. I can imagine those shrooms contributing alot to your dipps :P

Maybe you kited a meter for ages? He moved less? idk.

Gief armory link (im blind, cand find you) logs, and perhaps your competitions armory!

The only way to really analyze your dps is by logging. worldoflogs is almost a requirement if you want to max your dps. So get a wol account and you will be able to see what that Druid is doing each of the phases and compare your eclipse management and spell usage.

Deleted
    I see you refers both dots before solar ends? why both dots? you should have atleast 5 sec left on your IS. meaning you have spend 2 global cooldowns instead of only 1. if you only refresh your IS 1 sec before it ends wil save you time, as well as refreshing before it ends wil give no extra tick from your haste breakpoint. imo you should change your feet enchant to 50 haste as well. the walking speed is kinda usless as you can use your roar sprint and roar again in P2. Get your shrooms down when you are walking to the stacking point.

About your talents, dreamstate has not a lot of benefit as well as your fungal growth. Save them instead and try Furor.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're talking about a standard DPS rotation, and you're not doing some weird things with a lot of downtime that are going to cause your dots to fall off way prematurely, I would not suggest you refresh DoTs at /all/. Right now, on a standard rotation, I literally have about 2 seconds where DoTs are not up. It's not worth the two GCDs for those two DoTs when you can arrive at the next Eclipse that much faster.

You also don't clarify which DoT you apply first. I'm going to assume you put up Insect Swarm first in both Eclipse?
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Testing. I submitted a reply an hour ago and it hasn't shown up yet.

---------- Post added 2011-09-28 at 10:37 AM ----------

I guess I will try again. Suppose something went wrong.

@Lument - If I am going to be moving for a second or more I always lay down shrooms, even if its only two. I stay in solar for the duration of the seeds phase and just spam starfire so that my shrooms do maximum damage. I apply dots at the beginning of solar because they are stronger and so that sunfire benefits from Natures Grace. I reapply them before leaving solar so that I have a set of solar backed dots all the way until lunar.

@Ynglestok - Here is a log of our first post nerf kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0...3/?s=444&e=871 and also my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Boomy/advanced

@Suggest - I reapply both so that they are still solar backed on the way to lunar. I thought about using haste on my boots also and I will now give it a try. We are working on H Rhyolith right now which is why I am using fungal growthand in that fight I go through alot of mana with the AoE which is why I am using dreamstate.

@Sunfyre - I don't have 4 piece and if I have to move at all there is a decent amount of time my dots will not be up. If I can stand in one spot the entire time yes I would probably do that and if I had 4 piece it would make a considerable difference. I do IS first yes.