Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I'm surprised nobody's asked this yet: how many stacks are your tanks taunting off of each other at?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes...how many are your tanks getting to? Also in phase 2 you should probably be waiting until your group gets into position before you do your tank swap. It can be difficult on your healers especially your resto druid to swap healing targets while he is in mid sprint to the stack spot for seed explosion. even if the current tank takes his 3rd stack we wait until we hit our stacking spot before the other tank taunts off of him. Makes it easier on healers. Also are your tanks staying behind a little when everyone else is running to the stack point or are they leaving at the same time as everyone else. Also in phase 3 make sure the Scion tank takes both of them up to the boss in front of him so the melee can be doing cleave and splash damage on Rag while still dpsing the scions to death. Also you can maybe keep one of the farthest Sons of flame away from the hammer alive and you will have about 10 seconds until it arrives at the hammer if it is around 10% health left and that gives you about 10 seconds of easy dps on the scions, then kill the Son before he reaches hammer and finish off scions shortly afterwards and that gives you about 30 seconds of easy mode unterrupted dps on Rag which u can use Hero in for about 15% of his health gone leaving you with maybe 1 meteor in phase 3.

just a few thoughts on tank deaths...
    IBroughtGuns ~ Night Elf Warrior
    Specializing in Protection Services
    Dabbling in Smashing Faces
    Proudly Serving Alliance Since 2007
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/haomarush/Ibroughtguns/advanced[/URL][/url]
    Addiction Guild - http://addiction-haomarush.wowstead.com/

we did it with 2 and 3 heal before nerf and 2 heal after nerf.

When you do it with 2 heals in phase 1 make sure your range dds stay away from the healers so that your healers dont have to deal with dodging so many magma traps (since they always spawn under a player)
    In Phase 2 use cooldown every time you have to run to the other side and make sure your tanks dont run out of range,
    In phase 3 Try to make sure at least one heal is on the tanks all the time / not running from a meteor
    for 1.5 and 2.5 just assign one heal to each side of the room.
    the rest is a question of skill^^

Quote Originally Posted by IBroughtGuns View Post
    Yes...how many are your tanks getting to?
    Also are your tanks staying behind a little when everyone else is running to the stack point or are they leaving at the same time as everyone else. then kill the Son before he reaches hammer and finish off scions shortly afterwards and that gives you about 30 seconds of easy mode unterrupted dps on Rag
    We are doing our tank swap at 4 stacks right now. Is it a safe point?

And for seeds, the tanks were leaving at the same time as everyone else. What's your recommendation for this?

We were tanking the scions in the mid, but we somehow killed all the sons even though we knew one should be left for longer. I think we were just panic lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wewillbefine View Post

And for seeds, the tanks were leaving at the same time as everyone else. What's your recommendation for this?

We were tanking the scions in the mid, but we somehow killed all the sons even though we knew one should be left for longer. I think we were just panic lol.
    You should be waiting no later than when your debuff runs out to tank swap...anything longer than that is unneccessary damage on tanks and mana drain on healers. just have your tanks say in vent "Guns taunting now" every time so the healers have a headsup...should really matter to healers but its a nice gesture nonetheless.

Tanks should start running at same time as everyone else...I was just making sure your tanks werent staying behind a little cause they thought they needed to keep everyone safe from melee hits or what-not. When we first started we were making the tanks stay behind for an extra second cause we thought he was aggroing to a melee guy because of us not standing still...but it turned out it was because both tanks were running in too large of an arc around him causeing us to drop aggro and him hitting someone else for 1 or 2 swings(killing them).

Yess before anyone says anything we try in our raid to figure out how to do the boss fights by our selves without looking at helpful videos off tankspot and iceyveins and stuff like that. Makes it more fun. Then when we get stuck on something we come here and ask questions on particular stuff instead of just stealing everyone elses bland strategies. Call us crazy but it makes us feel like a top end progression raiding guild even though we only started raiding together about 4 weeks ago...
    IBroughtGuns ~ Night Elf Warrior
    Specializing in Protection Services
    Dabbling in Smashing Faces
    Proudly Serving Alliance Since 2007
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/haomarush/Ibroughtguns/advanced[/URL][/url]
    Addiction Guild - http://addiction-haomarush.wowstead.com/

The thing about Rag is that most of the damage is fatal no matter what. The exception being seeds in p1 and the traps in p1. You say your tanks died, they should be the first ones topped off since they are the only people that should be taking damage. We do the first swap at 3 stacks, then taunt off whenever debuff wears off. If I have to take a few extra stacks, I'll pop a CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Dont use 3 healers, its not the right strat.
    Oh don't be ridiculous. Using 3 healers is probably a bit of a waste after the nerf but there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. It's not like the dps requirements are a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    Oh don't be ridiculous. Using 3 healers is probably a bit of a waste after the nerf but there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. It's not like the dps requirements are a problem.
    It can be. Meteors become overwhelming in p3, sons of flame reach the hammer. Really the only advantage on 3 healers is that you can heal through the seeds easier. Which is also debatable:
    3 healers: 2-3 seeds
    2 healers: 1-2 seeds

prenerf with 2 heals, we were easily able to top off every raid member before the next trap (resto shammy and holy pally), this is with 0 raid CDs being used in first phase. Get your healers to figure out what they are doing wrong, if you do have 2 prot pallys, get them to rotate their CDs as well as the holy pally. They should be up before next phase.

As far as traps go (and this is coming from an Arcane Mage), Mages are the BEST at the traps due to blink. As soon as I pop it, BAM! Blink back to the ground. And if that fails, I can Ice Block or Slow Fall (Which I have NEVER needed to do)

Like others said, Shadow Priests can also do it pretty well.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wewillbefine View Post

3-4 is fine. No more than that. Just taunt-swap when your stack falls off.

Yup.

Post-nerf, you don't need to keep one up unless you have 3 heals, in which case, you're doing it wrong.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Our resto druid solo-healed it this week; he wanted to see if he could rank. We're by no means the most pro raid around, but we gave him a couple shots. On the second try, we got it. 5:50 kill, he ranked 25th.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...w/?s=506&e=856

If you're good at the fight, there's absolutely no need to three-heal. In fact, you're shooting yourself in the foot by paring the DPS corps. The adds don't have a lot of health, but the more people blowing them up ASAP, the less likely any are to be a threat of hitting the hammer.

You're not going to wipe to the enrage, you're going to wipe to 1: people standing in fire, 2: seeds parked near your group up spot, 3: sons hitting the hammer, and 4: being overrun by meteors. The last two of those four things are ameliorated by the addition of DPS. The first two are only maybe saved from being wipes by an extra healer to heal unnecessary damage.

If you check out that parse I linked, I took 332k damage, as a dps, for the entire fight. Only 3 times did our healer have to put a rejuv on me, the rest of the healing was aoe healing.

I'm not saying go ahead and solo heal it; you're learning the fight still and your healers and tanks are unlikely as geared as our guys. What I am saying is, this fight is not won with healing, it's won with execution, and adding a healer only makes that execution more difficult, because the phases last longer and there is a smaller fraction of a dps for each son of flame.

"How do I kill this boss" --> "Pre-pot"

Never the right answer.

Anyway my guild three healed it and got him down once pre-nerf. The wipes weren't due to lack of dps raid members in phase 3 though, but rather we'd lose 2 or 3 dps before the second meteor even spawned and be 1 or 2% away from a kill by the end of it. So our strat would have worked but we were failing pretty badly on the execution. Two heals should make things easier as long as they can keep everyone up for phase 1. Honestly if it were up to me, if I were leading a group two healing it pre-nerf I would blow heroism in phase 1 because there's really no excuse for 6 dps to not get him down in phase 3.

Now that it's been nerfed so hard I would lean towards 2 healing it for sure but with either set up you should be able to get him down. If you're not the problem is likely gear or people dying to things they shouldn't, like meteors and engulfing flames.
    Last edited by Kaopectate; 2011-09-27 at 05:10 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would have the druid go boomchicken if they can and have the pally and shammy heal...pre nerf's it was a bit of a strain. Improper taunting can lead to quick deaths if you're not careful(managed to survive 8 stacks on my bear tank before the other tank noticed he hadnt taunted in awhile)and should be addressed accordingly.

1 healing it while being feasible is a horrible option...seriously why bring healers at all if you're only going to use one.