1. #1
    The Lightbringer Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    3,435

    Survival: dealing with monsters

    Hi everyone.
    I recently started playing Minecraft Pocket Edition. After a couple failed attempts at Survival, I made a safe shelter, complete with a well-lit underground tunnel connected to the spawn point, so I can never get lost.
    After creating my own, huuge mine, and making me some iron and gold equipment with iron swords and pickaxes, I was already discouraged by the outside world.

    First off, I'm arachnophobic. Even pixel spiders can make me jump out of my seat, especially when they have faces carved in fire on them. You can imagine the joy when, while peeking out of the door at night, a spider as tall as my house just casually strolled by.

    Day one: I get out in the sun to gather some wood... and a freaking Enderman is teleporting around the place. After a moment's indecision, I rush out with an IRL warcry and whack him to death with a wooden sword. Don't ask... He didn't even drop anything.

    While gathering said wood, I got pushed forward and lost three hearts. I turned around to see a sizable crater that wasn't there before. I concluded it was a Creeper.

    Then I switched to "easy" mode, which means no hostile mobs spawn. I'm enjoying it so far because I can explore without being jumpscared every three seconds... but I miss the challenge of survival, even if cave exploration is made more enjoyable.


    So... any tips to get in shape, or am I better off in pacific mode?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I recently started playing Minecraft Pocket Edition. After a couple failed attempts at Survival, I made a safe shelter, complete with a well-lit underground tunnel connected to the spawn point, so I can never get lost.
    After creating my own, huuge mine, and making me some iron and gold equipment with iron swords and pickaxes, I was already discouraged by the outside world.

    First off, I'm arachnophobic. Even pixel spiders can make me jump out of my seat, especially when they have faces carved in fire on them. You can imagine the joy when, while peeking out of the door at night, a spider as tall as my house just casually strolled by.

    Day one: I get out in the sun to gather some wood... and a freaking Enderman is teleporting around the place. After a moment's indecision, I rush out with an IRL warcry and whack him to death with a wooden sword. Don't ask... He didn't even drop anything.

    While gathering said wood, I got pushed forward and lost three hearts. I turned around to see a sizable crater that wasn't there before. I concluded it was a Creeper.

    Then I switched to "easy" mode, which means no hostile mobs spawn. I'm enjoying it so far because I can explore without being jumpscared every three seconds... but I miss the challenge of survival, even if cave exploration is made more enjoyable.


    So... any tips to get in shape, or am I better off in pacific mode?
    Really the game just takes some getting used too. Once you figure stuff out it all gets much easier to the point of not having to worry about anything. Forget gold equipment though. It is terrible as it breaks super easy. You're better off using it for golden apples although with natural health regen that's not even a worry. Once you memorize the crafting recipes you'll be able to get by quickly.

    Overall though it just is a question of what you want to do in the game. If you want to build stuff stick to creative as having to find the blocks you want to use to recreate that castle from Zelda is difficult without creative. If you want to kill the ender dragon and beat the game then you'll have a lot of work for you in survival. Or you can go for mods and play zombie survival. So yeah, what do you want to do?

    Signature Created by Jassinta

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Really the game just takes some getting used too. Once you figure stuff out it all gets much easier to the point of not having to worry about anything. Forget gold equipment though. It is terrible as it breaks super easy. You're better off using it for golden apples although with natural health regen that's not even a worry. Once you memorize the crafting recipes you'll be able to get by quickly.

    Overall though it just is a question of what you want to do in the game. If you want to build stuff stick to creative as having to find the blocks you want to use to recreate that castle from Zelda is difficult without creative. If you want to kill the ender dragon and beat the game then you'll have a lot of work for you in survival. Or you can go for mods and play zombie survival. So yeah, what do you want to do?
    After having read around the Net it seems the endgame for Pocket Edition is somewhat different to "original" Minecraft. Overall, for now, I want to kill the Ender Dragon, see if the world is an interesting place to explore, all in all get to know survival's basics since I'm a newbie.

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Keile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    4,526
    As for your arachnophobia...perhaps get a resource pack that makes the spiders look a bit more...cuddly? I mean they will still try to kill you but at least they won't look so bad while doing it.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    As for your arachnophobia...perhaps get a resource pack that makes the spiders look a bit more...cuddly? I mean they will still try to kill you but at least they won't look so bad while doing it.
    Is there a pack to make them become, like, featureless blocks or monkeys? Monkeys would be awesome.

  6. #6
    Scarab Lord Keile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    4,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Is there a pack to make them become, like, featureless blocks or monkeys? Monkeys would be awesome.
    I'm not so sure about that, but there is this one:

    http://www.planetminecraft.com/textu...nscary-spider/
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, but there is this one:

    http://www.planetminecraft.com/textu...nscary-spider/
    That would probably make it worse. :\

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord Keile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    4,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    That would probably make it worse. :\
    That's the most a texture pack can probably do. You'd need to find a mod (or make one) to do more. There ARE mods that let you chose what mobs spawn, though you will also need one that gives you an alternate way to get their string.


    EDIT: NVM it was BETA 1.8, not live 1.8
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •