Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Because not everyone finds watching 2 hours of cut scenes a day a great gaming experience - I pre ordered it cause a bunch of my friends are buying it, I have little interest in the story.

I think people who buy SWTOR without being interested in the type of gameplay that comes with voice acting and cut scenes like Dragon Age or Mass Effect are going to be really disappointed. A huge chunk of the work has been put into making an immersive world, and I think end-game, especially at launch, will be a much smaller percentage of a time sink than questing. Eventually there'll be a shift to more raids and flashpoints as they get time to develop it, but at launch? People will end up played out way too fast if they don't care about the story.

That said, when I played DA:O on my fourth character, I did skip the cutscenes that I've already seen before. So if someone wants to switch the order and skip everything on the first playthrough, and then do the cutscenes afterwards, I don't think it's an invalid way of playing or that it will diminish their experience.

Why? Far as I'm concerned, dialogues and cutscenes are the only elements making this game unique. If I wanted to skip those - I might as well play WoW.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm aware, SWTOR lacks "world first" type achievements. Sure, there's probably some in-built thing that tracks who killed what and when, but there's no special reward for doing it first.

I will probably skim certain cutscenes, mostly the ones related to the "hey you need to go kill 20 droids!" type quests, but I won't skip anything class-story or companion related unless I'm rerolling.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

ugh I hope this game doesn't attract the "world first" crowd. the people that skip everything at least will be the ones saying how the game sucks and they'll quit right away.

What's the point of the "story-driven mmo", nay, ANY game by Bioware, If you do not watch the cutscenes?

I do not mind people saying this is not what they would like, however saying 'they dont know what the game is about' is just wrong.

The person who raised this topic is someone who has been to most the conventions and has been following this game from the very first annouecment.

The reason i brought this up it to let everyone know that there will be people like this in SWTOR and BioWare will have to do something endgame if they would like to keep them subing (which im sure they do)

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    You can skip most of the cut scenes but there are a few which are tied to quests so if you skip them you can't do the quest. Unless you watch the event first.

I Hope that isn't against the NDA, I doubt it. ;-p

While I won't be doing this, I say people can play however they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not skipping a single cutscene, I'm a fan of all the BW games i've played because of the deep storylines and it won't change with SWToR. Besides, story is huge part of an RPG in the first place

The dialogue system is a major feature, not padding and fluff. People purposely skipping out on major features will of course be dissatisfied.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone who is rushing to the end for their first toon I think is playing the game wrong. There are many games you can play like that. Those games just want you to kill this many boars or collect this many livers. Bioware puts you into an amazing story. we've waited long enough for this game, we should really enjoy EVERY toon we level. I mean every class, every choice we make will effect how we turn out. If someone just runs through they may mess up their character permanently.

yeah, I don't see the point in skipping the whole point of the game, sure raiding and pvp might be fun, but it is the bioware story with co-op that I'm lookin forward to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomhvk View Post
    So there was a dicussion on gamebreaker.tv a couple of weeks back (if you dont know what it is i would go check it out) Justin Lowe from Darthater was saying that he will be skipping all the cut-scenes on his first way round in order to go heavy raiding (world firsts etc), it was kinda speculated that they will take about 30% of your playing time early levels, and then down to 10-20% after that.

I personally will take my time- do you think people doing this will be disappointed.

P.s. he did say he would be rerolling and taking it easy second time round
    Some people get more enjoyment out of the game knowing they are at the top of the leaderboard. Others get their enjoyment from the interesting story.

Personally, I'm going to take my time and enjoy the story. Also keep in mind Justin has been in the beta for some time (he doesn't talk about it though), so I wouldn't be surprised if he already leveled up his BH and enjoyed the story in the Beta already.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I think most people are grossly overestimating how interesting most of the cut scenes are going to be, this isn't a single player game with an overarching story that you are constantly progressing through. From what I gather about 90% of the quests are the same as wow (i.e. I need 10 bear asses in order to ___ my ____), and only 10% are actually what you would expect in a single player game that are actually moving the story forward. If you think wow would be a whole new game if they did VO for all of the quests instead of quest text, you are absolutely gonna love this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomhvk View Post
    So there was a dicussion on gamebreaker.tv a couple of weeks back (if you dont know what it is i would go check it out) Justin Lowe from Darthater was saying that he will be skipping all the cut-scenes on his first way round in order to go heavy raiding (world firsts etc), it was kinda speculated that they will take about 30% of your playing time early levels, and then down to 10-20% after that.

I personally will take my time- do you think people doing this will be disappointed.

P.s. he did say he would be rerolling and taking it easy second time round
    I hope people who do this will be disappointed/missing out.

I really don't understand the people who rush to endgame right from the get go then "compete" to see who can do the most stuff the fastest. It's a useless accomplishment that means nothing but you likely lived up to the worst stereotypes imagined of game players.

People who do that junk are usually the ones to forsake real life and it's massive importance for a meaningless game life. Playing for 18 hours a day with cheetos and mountain dew to keep them going, fighting off capal tunnel because they play games way too much.

It's just sad. It almost demeans us all as gamers. Sure some people call it "determination" but its determination grossly misplaced to the point of where it is useless to all of humanity. If these were the people working on something like cancer I would be happy and proud for them, instead they actually waste an insane amount of time downing a useless pixelated boss the first time in the world.

I mean not everybody can work all day but what they do isn't a passtime, it isn't helpful, they don't improve anything good, it isn't even impressive, it's just people overworking to accomplish nothing.

Story is a huge part of the game, avoiding it just seems wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicymustard View Post
    I think most people are grossly overestimating how interesting most of the cut scenes are going to be, this isn't a single player game with an overarching story that you are constantly progressing through..
    I'm not allowed to say much due to NDA but through my considerable time spent in the beta I can say yes, your character does have an overarching story that you are constantly progressing through. And no, you don't go out into the world and collect bear asses. You do things that matter, that's Bioware's thing. All the grindy quests are optional and not received from quest givers, and so they don't need to be shoe-horned into the dialogue.
    Last edited by Tore; 2011-09-27 at 11:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicymustard View Post
    this isn't a single player game with an overarching story that you are constantly progressing through.
    Without breaking the NDA in the slightest I can tell you that you're entierly, utterly, grossly, wantonly, WRONG. Sure, not a single player game? True. Lacks an over-arching story connecting points 1-50 for each class and world? My friend, that is the whole basis and selling point for the game.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I would have loved to skip it in Dragon Age. that was a major turn off.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Im not approaching this game as i would approach other MMO's. Im probably going to play it like a single player game until i reach max level. Then i will see what happens from then.

I would prefer KOTOR 3 but this will have to do :P