Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Feels so linear so far

I'm not sure if anyone else is getting this feeling, but does the game feel like it's a lot smaller than its prequels? Playing my Witch Doctor right now and just got to Deckard Cain, and I can't help shake the feeling that I've been following the same road! Anyone know if the rest of the act gets any better? LOVE the play so far, don't get that wrong!
    Bleh

Deleted
    And Diablo 1 & 2 was not linear?

I think my wording was a little off. There were caves and all that jazz to explore in the Blood Moore even, haven't ran across any of those yet =( Seems like it's a single road.
    Bleh

If i am not mistaken is the beta not only act 1 ?

Usually the first part of it would be teaching the players what to do therefore it will be abit more linear, and especially since blizzard games are becoming alot more consumer friendly, theyre not just throwing you in and saying "go kill".

Deleted
    It's only part of Act 1, there are 3 bosses in Act 1 iirc.

Deleted
    From what i have seen it seems to me its almost like killing boodraven in D2 but yeah i dont know nothing since im not in beta...

We've seen one third of one act of four. I think it's much, much too soon to judge. D2 was pretty darn linear before you killed Blood Raven too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruzhyo View Post
    Well how much of this have you seen in-game?
    http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/worldmap.xml
    Just a small area around Tristram I think.

The beta is, what, an hour and a half of gameplay at the very most? =P I have to agree with the sentiment that it's too soon to judge.

I've been playing D2 to see if I'd like D3 (yes, I would), and I have to say D2 is pretty darn linear as well. Sure, you can branch off and do quests in a slightly different order maybe, or take a different path to the same goal... But overall it seems pretty linear. I haven't been too bothered by that, so I can't imagine it'd be an issue in D3 either.

I think that its pretty much like the others say, the we barely got any released content, and they probably want the start to be a little linear in order for us to be able to learn the game (not specifically us maybe, but other new players that need to learn from start)

That's kinda the point of a dungeon crawler game. . .

and afaik, it's not even the full act 1 that's in the beta

It's only the beginning of the game..

I played through the beta with each class and found several random caves in some runs even with multiple levels and random boss mods, caves that werent there the run before and such.

Im more worried about the system being way too casual in the game, it leaves sophisticated players unsatisfied with getting no control over building your characters when you level up, no talent points to place, no skill points to place, all skills are available whenever, just swap the buttons.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muriko View Post
    I think my wording was a little off. There were caves and all that jazz to explore in the Blood Moore even, haven't ran across any of those yet =( Seems like it's a single road.
    I've been watching Yogscast play a little D3 beta, and they found a few caves and hidden little corners. You must be unlucky or not looking

There are random dungeons all over the area, just like in D2. Cellars, caves, caves under wells, etc. and there's plenty of rare/enchanted/elite mobs too.

Also - there's random events (quest encounters) and smaller events (like infected people dying and their ghost smacking you in the face, traps, etc.)

All of that is in beta, right now. Yogscast does a good job of finding them all, yea and I'll actually upload a video of one of these random quest events tonight.. so watch out for that (will be Episode 6 on my Diablo 3 Let's Play)
    Fyrn Galore, General a.D.
    President of Aesyr®. The only true Heavy Metal Guild there is.

I'd say that it's pretty much as random as D2, if not even more. You should check this video out if you're worried about the game being too linear.

Deleted
    It doesn't seem linear to me, with it being a tiny portion of the entire game, from what gameplay i've seen so far it doesn't look linear at all, for example to beat the skeleton king you need to find him inside one of the three krypts, with two leading to dead ends.

Before watching the video, i was thinking it was a bit linear too (but i know that's just the starting area so randomized areas will come into play later), but watching Force playing in that vid.... well.... it's randomized enough :P
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.