Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

How are hardcore player going to be rewarded?

I know in most games there are titles,gear,rankings,collectables. So how will the players who put more time into the game be rewarded , other then the fact they get to know their class better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better looking gear, getting better at PvP, being lucky enough to participate in more dynamic events, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrabblet View Post
    Better looking gear, getting better at PvP, being lucky enough to participate in more dynamic events, etc.
    Don't forget the achievements, Titles, and explorable dungeons. which are stated to be extremely hard to finish.

off-topic: love your Fluttershy picture :P
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2011-12-21 at 01:21 AM.

Hardcore gamers work harder to be the best at their class/profession. What more do they need?

In PvP, the best team will win.
    In PvE, a team of the best will do better in dungeons and may be better at organizing their forces during DEs.

Titles, armor sets, mini pets or whatever are available to everyone who managed to complete content. It's not about being the best, it's about being competent where it counts.

This message brought to you buy the guy who started a thread about "baddies".

ETA: Hardcore players, as in, 'those who spend more time in the game' will be able to experience more DEs than those with a more limited availability.

It's not as if you'll be paying more to play than anyone else. Buy the box and you're done. How much that 50 or 60 bucks buys you is completely up to you, whether it's after 20 hour days or 2 hour days.
    Last edited by Acquiesce of Telara; 2011-12-21 at 01:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreverlad View Post
    It's not about being the best, it's about being competent where it counts.

ETA: Hardcore players, as in, 'those who spend more time in the game' will be able to experience more DEs...
    Isnt one of the main point of playing a game is to be the "best" that you can? not "being competent where it counts"
    So hardcore players just get recycle the content that casual players will just be doing less amount of times. So their idea is "the way we are rewarding you for playing more is you get to do the same DE's/dungeons over again, with no extra benefit(rewards)? (The same thing that most games do)

And the thing on gear- I thought GW2 implemented that "being able to change what your gear looks like" feature. So getting more gear would do what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellar View Post
    you get to do the same DE's/dungeons over again, with no extra benefit(rewards)?
    Doing the same thing over and over for the chance at a reward is a perfect definition of psychologically programmed skinner box behaviour.

Isnt one of the main point of playing a game is to be the "best" that you can? not "being competent where it counts"
    So hardcore players just get recycle the content that casual players will just be doing less amount of times. So their idea is "the way we are rewarding you for playing more is you get to do the same DE's/dungeons over again, with no extra benefit(rewards)? (The same thing that most games do)

And the thing on gear- I thought GW2 implemented that "being able to change what your gear looks like" feature. So getting more gear would do what?
    "Endgame begins at level 1" is a favorite saying with Arena.net. Their goal is to make all content available to everyone from the very beginning. There will be harder versions of dungeons, elite areas and elite-quality Dynamic Events, but the thing they do not want to do is separate the playerbase. Pick a character, and start kicking some digital ass. Wanna run a dungeon? Cool, grab 4 friends and go; it doesn't matter what professions they are.

The game is about interaction. Dynamic Events scale up to 100 players. There's entire World vs World conflicts. GW2 aims to bring the community together, not separate them in groups of 20 for months-long hardcore raids or special pedestals where the best of the best can look down on the unwashed masses.

They don't need you there 24/7, nor are they charging you a monthly fee. All the same, specific dynamic events won't always be available. They're not an NPC reliably standing outside the Blacksmith's shop, asking you to gather 10 elementium shelled crabs. Events and mobs will change. You'll never roll an alt or assist a low level friend with the exact same events you played through while leveling up. That's a lot of replayability.

Deleted

So in other games you get new gear with higher stats, for what? Higher crits? Does higher crits makes you feel better?

Guild Wars 2 is a game for everyone, to reach everything they want to reach. Hardcore players will clear dungeons faster, in all different ways they can be cleared. Casuals get cosmetic looking gear while hardcore players get even cooler hard earned cosmetic gear, as in, yes, there will be a way to change your gear to look like something else.

Don't worry, you will be able to see the difference between casual and total hardcore players.

And to be honest, in World of Warcraft, you get re-cycled content all the time so what's the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Doing the same thing over and over for the chance at a reward is a perfect definition of psychologically programmed skinner box behaviour.
    Just to add to what Mif said,

If you're out in the world mining ore, you're never competing with anyone else for it, same thing with mobs. They're not gonna make you fight over stuff. Additionally, when a group of 5 complete a dungeon or dungeon boss, they're all going to be rewarded equally for each kill. That means you need not run that dungeon 100x until that specific piece of loot you want drops.

Simply put, GW2 is taking the grind out of the game. Play for a month and quit. They've got the money they wanted. If you want to spend your additional time being hardcore, that's totally on you. You're free to do as you wish.

Think of league of legends People play that game past the lv cap to get more champions even though you can only play one at a time, get better, and have your rating go up. (hard core pvp in GW2)

meanwhile hardcore pve players are gonna get the most cool looking armor, prestige titles and experience all the content.

but most importantly you will have fun. If not stop playing until they add more stuff

and on the point you made with the gear how does that make it any different in wow or any game that allows you to change the model of your gear?

I know in most games there are titles,gear,rankings,collectables. So how will the players who put more time into the game be rewarded
    Well... titles, gear, rankings and collectibles.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad hat man View Post
    So in other games you get new gear with higher stats, for what? Higher crits? Does higher crits makes you feel better?

And to be honest, in World of Warcraft, you get re-cycled content all the time so what's the deal?
    Atcually no, the crits and numbers in wow are just stupidly high and that in turn gives them no meaning. I can eventually see lvl 100's hitting for 500,000. Which is just plain stupid imo.

And yes wow does give recycled content, which i dont agree with.
    How will lvl 80 gear work? All gear will have the same amount of stats, just the harder DE's/dungeons will give you cooler looking gear?
    And if anyone knows. Ive seen some PAX 5v5 games. Will all players have that standard looking gear? Or will your cosmetic gear just scale down or up to a even amount. Seems like a game so focused of cosmetic look, should allow us to bring cool looking gear into 5v5's

I think the whole concept of being rewarded is wrong. You should do stuff in your free time for enjoyment. If you're enjoying doing something, isn't that a reward in itself?

If you're enjoying GW2, great! Keep playing. If you're not? Well, don't play anymore. It's not like you're paying monthly. There will be plenty of stuff to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by englanda View Post
    If you're enjoying doing something, isn't that a reward in itself?
    A very good point.

GW2: Play game, be rewarded by enjoying yourself and having fun
    Other MMOs: Grind boring task repetitively, be rewarded with 5 "Badges of Whatever"
    Last edited by Mif; 2011-12-21 at 02:30 AM.

How will lvl 80 gear work? All gear will have the same amount of stats, just the harder DE's/dungeons will give you cooler looking gear?
    And if anyone knows. Ive seen some PAX 5v5 games. Will all players have that standard looking gear? Or will your cosmetic gear just scale down or up to a even amount. Seems like a game so focused of cosmetic look, should allow us to bring cool looking gear into 5v5's
    The gear at PAX was the base level gear. When you go into the competitive PVP everybody is set to level 80 and given the same gear with the same stats as everybody else of their profession. The playing field is compleatly level. As you play more PVP you can purchase better skins for your PVP gear. The more you play and the beter you are the more elaberate and cool looking the gear you can get will be. You may look totaly bad ass but you wont have any stats making you more powerful by default than the guy wearing the base armor so the field stays level and its your skill alone that keeps you ahead of others. And like I said at PAX everybody had a fresh character so nobody had earned points or whatever for new gear yet so they all wore the basic stuff.

Who is John Galt?

If it works like GW1, you'll have a base set of PVP that won't be anything fantastic in the looks department, but it will be max stats, like any other max level gear. You'll probably be able to use your PVP reward points to unlock armour/weapon skins for your account.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    The gear at PAX was the base level gear. When you go into the competitive PVP everybody is set to level 80 and given the same gear with the same stats as everybody else of their profession. The playing field is compleatly level. As you play more PVP you can purchase better skins for your PVP gear. The more you play and the beter you are the more elaberate and cool looking the gear you can get will be. You may look totaly bad ass but you wont have any stats making you more powerful by default than the guy wearing the base armor so the field stays level and its your skill alone that keeps you ahead of others. And like I said at PAX everybody had a fresh character so nobody had earned points or whatever for new gear yet so they all wore the basic stuff.
    Cool Cool, thats what i was lookin for.
    Last edited by hellar; 2011-12-21 at 02:42 AM.

Not to gripe on WoW too badly, but that was always one of the fundamental things which is just wrong in my opinion. Better players have better gear. That's insane to me, but I've come to accept it as the norm. In PVP (in any game), everyone should have the same stats.

Well in regards to the sort of "Special Snowflake" rewards I remember reading that in competitive pvp you can get better and better looking gear that shows your skill level and titles and etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by englanda View Post
    Not to gripe on WoW too badly, but that was always one of the fundamental things which is just wrong in my opinion. Better players have better gear. That's insane to me, but I've come to accept it as the norm. In PVP (in any game), everyone should have the same stats.
    Def agree with this. I can see a argument for pve were it really doesnt effect other peoples gameplay. But for pvp it should be all about skill.