Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Shadow of Israphel

Thought I'd open up a thread on Shadow of Israphel discussions.

For those that don't know what Shadow of Israphel is, it's a very popular machinima series created by the Yogscast which started with an initial " How to Minecraft " video that has expanded rapidly into hours and hours of enjoyment.

Those looking to begin watching it can find the series starting here;

http://www.youtube.com/show/minecraft?s=1

It continues here with Survival Island 1-11 (The first few episodes don't seem to be related to Shadow of Isrpahel, but they are);

http://www.youtube.com/show/minecraft?s=2

and is currently continuing here (Alot of the videos there are nothing to do with Shadow of Israphel, but instead just general Minecraft, the Shadow of Israphel videos are distinctively labelled as Shadow of Israphel and have the distinctive thumbnail);

http://www.youtube.com/show/minecraft?s=3

Personally, I would recommend those with the time and interest to watch it. It's a fantastic machinima and alot of hardwork has gone into it, the two hosts Simon and Lewis are hilariously funny and often have me in tears with laughter. That said, it is really long. I think we're talking about 60-75 episodes now at 15-20minutes an episode, so don't expect to be able to watch it all in one night.

I started watching the videos back when it was just their Minecraft Multiplayer Survival videos, where Simon was showing Lewis how to play the game, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I even got really into the videos when Israphel first appeared and started firing arrows at them, and left their back door boobytrapped with TNT (funniest part of the whole series, hands down); I really felt like it was someone who had somehow gotten onto their server and started screwing with them.

Then it got more and more scripted and set up, and it sort of lost its appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely appreciate all the work that goes into the videos, and all the building and architecture that is shown in it, but now it's more of a scripted show than an off the cuff video like some of their other stuff.

Still <3 Simon and Lewis, though. If anyone has a chance to listen to the Yogpod, do so. They're all about an hour in length, so it'll take you a while, but it's well worth it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree that initially I did seriously think someone had somehow hacked into their server and was doing something to their server.

From what I recall Lewis saying once, the SoI series to them is just like a normal game, they don't know what's going to happen next. Whilst it is obviously planned out previously by the builders/story writers, I believe Simon and Lewis have no information on what is going to happen before it happens. If they do, they're really good actors.

I love SoI, I just recently got the sound track, and Israphel is found littered through my servers RP cities being built. Friends wanted "Cult activity" spread into other areas haha. As for the hacking, if I remember right they literally didn't have any idea at first who it was. They decided ( once learning who it was ) that they should use it and make their how to play something more. Simon and Lewis still don't know what is going on though, so their reactions are pure. I just wish I could find that interview again. x_X
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

yogscast started watching them back when they were doing cata beta videos and i still watch them now regularly

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the series back before it became this scripted thing, when it was just Simon teaching Lewis, and Israphel. But with it becoming SoI, it became somewhat lackluster, and I can recall at least 4 episodes where they got litterally nothing done and it was a waste of time to watch it. But hey, their the makers.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Deleted
    I watched the show since they found their first obsidium! Back in the days when they had less then 50k subs! Still love the series but when it's this scripted it means that it comes out much less frequently.

they are fantastic, and i know that they know that there are actor, but i sort of doubt that they know what they are meant to do, which makes it incredibly fun

I absolutely love the series. It's just a shame you probably won't ever experience Minecraft like this by yourself unless you do something like this as well which (I think) is extremely time consuming.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    I absolutely love the series. It's just a shame you probably won't ever experience Minecraft like this by yourself unless you do something like this as well which (I think) is extremely time consuming.
    Indeed, I would love to have that weird feeling of stumbling across things on your own world/server that shouldn't be there, and then it develops into what Shadow of Israphel is now.

It probably is extremely time consuming, I mean the footage alone of them playing is probably nearing the 24 hour mark now, I dread to think the kind of labour etc that goes into building all of the things, all of the redstone etc, everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malefic View Post
    Indeed, I would love to have that weird feeling of stumbling across things on your own world/server that shouldn't be there, and then it develops into what Shadow of Israphel is now.

It probably is extremely time consuming, I mean the footage alone of them playing is probably nearing the 24 hour mark now, I dread to think the kind of labour etc that goes into building all of the things, all of the redstone etc, everything.
    I know. Episode 31 was incredible. Still can't figure out how they did that zombie dwarf thing where the king turned the guy into a zombie. I mean I can't figure out how the zombies were moving around so orderly. It didn't look like someone was above them with the zombies aggroed to them.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    I know. Episode 31 was incredible. Still can't figure out how they did that zombie dwarf thing where the king turned the guy into a zombie. I mean I can't figure out how the zombies were moving around so orderly. It didn't look like someone was above them with the zombies aggroed to them.
    It was weird, the split frame where the king turned into Israphel and things. Whether that was with video editing or what not I don't know, either way it looked insane. The capabilities of Minecraft never cease to amaze me. Alot of the stuff they have done in some of the videos I didn't think would be physically possible, but then again I'm not the greatest in terms of building/redstone in Minecraft. The whole series is epic and I hope they release it as a package when they are finished with it, whilst it would be a very long movie, I would download it like no tomorrow.

Deleted
    I love Shadow of Israphel.
    They really put effort in those places and the story is interesting to be honest.

It's always interesting to see them screw up the intended plot in new and hilarious ways.

trying to ride a plane indoors, or the time they ended up in some random temple hiding from zombies "hmm, I don't think we're supposed to be here yet..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

after watching the first couple episodes, I started playiing the free version of minecraft, and then once they met Israphel and started having an adventure, I made my girlfriend start watching the series and we ended up buying the game.

Is it wrong that I check yogscast atleast twice a day for new videos ?

Deleted
    I started watching yogscast videos when they first started with the tutorial videos of minecraft and after that ive watched almost everything and listened to the yogpods
    They are just awesome and everything they do is awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    Is it wrong that I check yogscast atleast twice a day for new videos ?
    I think that's pretty normal. I check very often for new videos. Probably check my YouTube 6+ times a day, but that's for multiple subs, not just BlueXephos.

Deleted
    A few days ago, I started watching Shadow of Israphel, now up to like episode 25. Then yesterday, I find out there's 2 seasons that happened before it, and now I feel like I'm missing out on loads of the charater's backstorys

Deleted
    I started during How to Survive the first night and I can't believe it's almost been a year now. I love the channel and everything they do from Minecraft to Condemned to HoN reviews even though I've never played HoN.

SoI is no exception. Amazing series, amazing buildings, fun story, and with Simon and Lewis at the rear, it can only go wrong, which it always does. I really don't look forward to the last episode, just waiting on episode 31 was a horrendous wait :P

*tinfoil hat on* I'm just awaiting to see if Daisy is Israphel *tinfoil hat off*