Poll: The big Four

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalleo View Post
    Megadeth ofc
    wooooot ^_^

Deleted
    Megadeth, hands down.

Deleted
    peace sells but who's buying?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Depends on what era we're talking about. Overall? Metallica, simply as good as Megadeth can be, I usually prefer the best from Metallica(RtL and MoP) over the best from Megadeth(Peace Sells... and RIP). If we're talking current era, both Megadeth and Anthrax's recent releases are much better than anything Metallica has done since AJFA.

Slayer I don't even bother to rank, cause even their very best is only slightly above "average" to my ears.

And like that other dude, in terms of quality, there are other thrash bands I find FAR preferable to Anthrax and Slayer(and for that matter, far preferable to any Metallica or Megadeth aside from the 4 albums I already mentioned). Bands like Heathen(Victims of Deception is the finest thrash album ever recorded IMO), Overkill, Sabbat(the UK one), Exodus(whichever of you dudes that said Gary Holt can play better than Jeff, spot fucking on man!), Mekong Delta...
    I agree, overall Metallica wins for a load of reasons. While "Rust in Peace" is probably one of the best metal albums (based upon skills) every single Megadeth record that was ever released after it, simply sticks out like a sore thumb, while still being good, they just aren't even close. Anthrax is a funny band, I mean they have a high sense of irony and lunacy that other bands tend to frown upon, yet while still making amazing music, they proved just a few days ago that they are still amazing, "Worship Music" is awe-inspiring. Slayer... hmm... I suppose one could say that Slayer is a rock, they stand as a testament to the fact that a band doesn't need to change (atleast not a lot) to stay relevant, some might call them boring and stagnant, and other will praise them as being the only band that never "sold out herp derp", they still put on one mindblowing show. I love them all honestly, I truly do.

Oh, as for Gary Holt, I saw him play for Slayer in Aarhus some months ago... JESUS SHIT-HEAD CHRIST that man was impressive, in 30 seconds he had moved more on stage than Jeff had in 30 years, I almost cried blood (in the good way) when he played the *correct* solo to "Seasons in the Abyss" something Jeff haven't been able to do since they recorded the song in '91.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    I voted both Metallica and Slayer. Metallica is legend, made the most of the best metal songs, and with one fail (st.anger) still making a history.

Slayer is just... fucking Slayer

I was at Sonisphere, when Big 4 concert together at first time at history, in warsaw. I will never forget that

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, couldn't list a single song from any of them, and haven't heard of any of them except Metallica.

So gunna have to go with Metallica.

/1990

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    To be honest, couldn't list a single song from any of them, and haven't heard of any of them except Metallica.

So gunna have to go with Metallica.

/1990
    Then why are you in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I agree, overall Metallica wins for a load of reasons. While "Rust in Peace" is probably one of the best metal albums (based upon skills) every single Megadeth record that was ever released after it, simply sticks out like a sore thumb, while still being good, they just aren't even close. Anthrax is a funny band, I mean they have a high sense of irony and lunacy that other bands tend to frown upon, yet while still making amazing music, they proved just a few days ago that they are still amazing, "Worship Music" is awe-inspiring. Slayer... hmm... I suppose one could say that Slayer is a rock, they stand as a testament to the fact that a band doesn't need to change (atleast not a lot) to stay relevant, some might call them boring and stagnant, and other will praise them as being the only band that never "sold out herp derp", they still put on one mindblowing show. I love them all honestly, I truly do.
    Worship Music really is a solid album, but overall, a lot of Anthrax leaves me comparatively cold. There's nothing specifically WRONG with it, not like I wanna get up and turn it off or nothing, just a lot of it doesn't stick with me in the long run the way the classic Metallica and Megadeth stuff(along with the other bands I mentioned) does. And I'm not saying they need to "sell out" or be more "catchy" or w/e, as Mekong Delta is super technical and definitely not what the average person calls "catchy", yet their work still sticks with me more than most Anthrax does.

As for Slayer, I don't care much for them period(my favorite Slayer stuff is actually the really early stuff-Hell Awaits and Show No Mercy), but...at least based on all the metal fans I know and the metal forums and usenet groups I've followed over the years, isn't Diablolus in Musica generally considered a "sell out" album? I know their sound has certainly changed a lot to my ears...

I dont like any of them. Sorry, my big four would be SO different.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Deleted
    Metallica, No doubt.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Worship Music really is a solid album, but overall, a lot of Anthrax leaves me comparatively cold. There's nothing specifically WRONG with it, not like I wanna get up and turn it off or nothing, just a lot of it doesn't stick with me in the long run the way the classic Metallica and Megadeth stuff(along with the other bands I mentioned) does. And I'm not saying they need to "sell out" or be more "catchy" or w/e, as Mekong Delta is super technical and definitely not what the average person calls "catchy", yet their work still sticks with me more than most Anthrax does.

As for Slayer, I don't care much for them period(my favorite Slayer stuff is actually the really early stuff-Hell Awaits and Show No Mercy), but...at least based on all the metal fans I know and the metal forums and usenet groups I've followed over the years, isn't Diablolus in Musica generally considered a "sell out" album? I know their sound has certainly changed a lot to my ears...
    Ooh I like you I couldn't agree more overall, Anthrax has some really "spot on" music, but also a lot of "What is this really?", it's like a 50/50 with those guys, it's either awesome or something you skip. And you are so correct in regards to Slayer, both "Diabolous in Music" and "Divine Intervention" are indeed strange sounding and very "90's" compared to the rest of their stuff, but most die-hard Slayer fans aren't even aware that those two albums exists, they just seem to revolve around "Reign in Blood" (Which isn't their best album if you ask me, I think that's "Seasons in the Abyss", and I agree with their old stuff, since it's a lot more structed, punk'ish and the solos aren't completey wank-wah fests), so yes you could indeed consider both "Divine Intervention" and "Diabolous in Music" "sell out" albums, but a few people actually know those albums even exists. But overall, the Slayer sound remains, more-or-less, the same, which is why I'd call them somewhat stagnant, not to mention they had that whole late 90's early 00's era where the constantly tried to sound more and more angry, but forgetting how to actually write music. But like I said, I still love all those bands.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 12:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    Again, it's not a subjective title, it's an objective title, based upon their work, their time and so forth.

Deleted
    Duuuuuuuuude, the big 4 concert that was viewed live around the globe was right here in Bulgaria and i can tell you after Manowar's record for longest concert again here in Bulgaria this was the second best show ever. I've seen KoRn, I've seen Marilyn Manson, I was even at Tarja's concert but this...this was simply AWESOME!!!
    Horn fingers up for Metallica, no wonder they were headlines and R.I.P. Dio, so sorry he wasn't alive to make the night from epic to legendary!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerax View Post
    Duuuuuuuuude, the big 4 concert that was viewed live around the globe was right here in Bulgaria and i can tell you after Manowar's record for longest concert again here in Bulgaria this was the second best show ever. I've seen KoRn, I've seen Marilyn Manson, I was even at Tarja's concert but this...this was simply AWESOME!!!
    Horn fingers up for Metallica, no wonder they were headlines and R.I.P. Dio, so sorry he wasn't alive to make the night from epic to legendary!
    Well while trying not to sound disrespectful, every single band of the Big Four is running cirlces around those three :P
    But I'm actually glad you brought up KoRn, while most people are unaware of the influence and role Anthrax has played, most of the KoRn'esque, nu-metal, industrial, rap-attempting bands would never have existed, even though little tribute is ever really paid towards Anthrax.

Deleted
    I kinda foresaw Metallica winning as they are by far the most main steam of the big four, I see plenty of people wearing Metallica t-shirts, but hardly any wearing any other thrash metal bands, however some of Slayers lyrics are awesome and should be one day used as a battle cry if not already ;D

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    this is THE big four, the big four that you nor anyone else can ever change ...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galvanise View Post
    I kinda foresaw Metallica winning as they are by far the most main steam of the big four, I see plenty of people wearing Metallica t-shirts, but hardly any wearing any other thrash metal bands, however some of Slayers lyrics are awesome and should be one day used as a battle cry if not already ;D

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 01:26 PM ----------

this is THE big four, the big four that you nor anyone else can ever change ...
    Sadly a lot of those who wears the t-shirts have no clue about the band or their music, just like all the kids you see wearing Rolling Stones shirts, they have no clue.

Deleted
    Slayer. Simple as.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slayer's material up to Raining Blood was superb and some of the best thrash ever. Anthrax has remained the most consistent. Megadeth has turned into "The Dave Mustaine Experience", last good album imo was Youthanasia, which is my favorite by them. Metallica will never be as good as they were with Cliff Burton and should stop trying.

Ooh I like you I couldn't agree more overall, Anthrax has some really "spot on" music, but also a lot of "What is this really?", it's like a 50/50 with those guys, it's either awesome or something you skip. And you are so correct in regards to Slayer, both "Diabolous in Music" and "Divine Intervention" are indeed strange sounding and very "90's" compared to the rest of their stuff, but most die-hard Slayer fans aren't even aware that those two albums exists, they just seem to revolve around "Reign in Blood" (Which isn't their best album if you ask me, I think that's "Seasons in the Abyss", and I agree with their old stuff, since it's a lot more structed, punk'ish and the solos aren't completey wank-wah fests), so yes you could indeed consider both "Divine Intervention" and "Diabolous in Music" "sell out" albums, but a few people actually know those albums even exists. But overall, the Slayer sound remains, more-or-less, the same, which is why I'd call them somewhat stagnant, not to mention they had that whole late 90's early 00's era where the constantly tried to sound more and more angry, but forgetting how to actually write music. But like I said, I still love all those bands.
    Heh, the Slayer fans(and detractors, for that matter) on the boards I read know of those albums, but then again, a lot of the guys I talk music with and who regularly post on the boards I follow are also basically walking encyclopedias when it comes to metal(not to brag, but I am pretty knowledgeable myself, outside of the death/black metal scenes, which I don't follow quite so religiously) so they may not be representative of the "average" Slayer fan. Most of them also rank Seasons... as their best work, though a few do indeed stick with Reign as their preference. Me, I've tried several times but I just can't really get into Slayer. For one thing, when it comes to thrash I usually prefer the Bay Area sound, and when I want thrash that's a little harsher and more aggressive, I turn to the European guys like Sabbat, Kreator, and Destruction.

Deleted
    Sadly a lot of those who wears the t-shirts have no clue about the band or their music, just like all the kids you see wearing Rolling Stones shirts, they have no clue.
    THIS!!! I hate it like the other day I was in a local pub and I put pantera - walk on the jukebox and on the other side of the pub I saw a teenage girl ask her friend what song is this, and she was wearing a no remorse (Metallica) t-shirt ... /facepalm/keyboard plant

Metallica. All good bands that I've seen multiple times though.