Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    I'm a little unclear as to what exactly worries you? Can you elaborate?

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 03:48 PM ----------

Guardians are full of shields and barriers, and that's why they have the 2nd lowest HP. I don't know if using bubbles and walls is something that I'd call "tanky". Is there something about this that worries you?
    Shamans have always had the lowest HP and when first made they were kinda tanky and full on hybrids. Right now they aren't competitive and still tied down to a terrible totem system. I don't want the class to be mishandled and misunderstood by even the developers that made them. Call it paranoia at the hands of blizzard developers due to 6 years of playing WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Shamans have always had the lowest HP and when first made they were kinda tanky and full on hybrids. Right now they aren't competitive and still tied down to a terrible totem system. I don't want the class to be mishandled and misunderstood by even the developers that made them. Call it paranoia at the hands of blizzard developers due to 6 years of playing WoW.
    Well it's probably premature to be paranoid :P

All classes in GW2 are hybrids of control/damage/support, and all classes have abilities with similar end results (through different methods). PVE and PVP skills will be separate (balanced seperately.... something that WOW has refused to do). I'm sure when it comes out, balancing GW2 will be much easier than WOW.

Deleted
    This video sums my feeling about holy trinity

I wont miss holy trinity.

Though I've been a healer all throughout the duration of WoW, and played healing classes in times past, I feel like I contribute to MMOs the best when I'm using active abilities; twirling a bunch of plates on sticks rather than driving a freight train.

The idea that my performance is based on how I use the breadth of my toolkit appeals to me greatly. This is why I've never been a "good" DPSer in WoW, and especially not a good hybrid DPSer. When I see something I can do to help, my reaction is to do something about it, rather than zero in on maxing personal DPS (while avoiding fire, etc). I think the concept that GW2 is trying to pull off fits gamers like me very well. Again, if it's pulled off well.

I think I heard a dev put it pretty well: The trinity is a strategy. There is no inherent problem with it; the problem comes when it is the only viable strategy, and you need to impose it on encounters. Players should evolve new strategies in order to beat something, and should be able to play with their friends despite class choices.

Take the Gunship battle in ICC. It had so much potential! Players flying through the air, battling each other over interlocked airships! The problem with it? They had to jam the holy trinity in to the fight somehow, and came up with the annoying "Tank their airship captain, and tank the adds on your ship" mechanic. Suddenly what could have been an amazing and challenging fight was demoted to a tank and spank between two floating platforms.

The trinity doesn't just extend to just PvE either. To be competitive in Arena, you needed a healer. Every comp had to have a healer in order to survive. Almost every comp was one healer+two DPS. You know what my best games were in arena? I played up to just over 2k rating with my rogue friend (I was a lock), and the best games were when we faced another double DPS comp. Suddenly your tactics need to change. No longer is it kill/cc the healer. Now we needed to remain mobile and use every trick in the book. It lead to interesting fights that ended in a heroic move or crushing defeat, and that is how PvP should be.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

It won't be the first game I've played that didn't have tanks or healers, actually the one game I played that didn't have them has been my favorite MMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    Though I've been a healer all throughout the duration of WoW, and played healing classes in times past, I feel like I contribute to MMOs the best when I'm using active abilities; twirling a bunch of plates on sticks rather than driving a freight train.

The idea that my performance is based on how I use the breadth of my toolkit appeals to me greatly. This is why I've never been a "good" DPSer in WoW, and especially not a good hybrid DPSer. When I see something I can do to help, my reaction is to do something about it, rather than zero in on maxing personal DPS (while avoiding fire, etc). I think the concept that GW2 is trying to pull off fits gamers like me very well. Again, if it's pulled off well.
    As far as I could tell, from the time I played at Gamescom, it works incredibly well. People are underestimating the dodge ability. It adds an incredible dynamic to fighting off enemies, both in PvP and PvE. In PvP especially, I found that whenever I was up against someone, if I used my dodging accordingly, it paid off in the end. People are going to have to adapt to being able to cast while moving, and having to dodge stuff you want to dodge (big flaming fireball headed your way? DODGE IT!). I noticed this at GamesCom especially, since obviously everyone was new to PvP and it was the first hands on available. People are still going to be standing still, casting 11111111222222111. It's pretty much hardwired into their brain due to other mmo designs. I love how GW2 is trying to break the mold, and as far as I can tell, it's working.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, trinity has to go, although I got used to that system over the years of MMO gaming.

GW2 system has the best system to exclude baddies from game. No standing in fire, no multiple random shit that could be ongoing in any dungeon or raid. If everything sums to YOU, using your skills and proper cooldowns, then, as I've mentioned, game will filter itself from baddies.

Deleted
    The first time I heard gw2 was coming out I was like "meh, got enough games to play already, not really interested."

Then I saw the first demonstration videos by accident and I was like "Ooh, shiny!" Now when I hear anything new at all it just seems to get better and better every time. I love, love, love the idea of this system, so many possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Baek View Post
    While I know that there aren't going to be any raids per se in GW2, I'd like to see how that would play out without the Trinity
    I suspect it would work out similar to the large scale dynamic events like the dragon fights. You dont have 1 or two tanks just standing there takeing a beating and healers keeping them alive. you have a big mofo trying to swat the nats swarming him while the nats(us) do whatever they can to hurt him. Instead of the rather silly idea of simply stabing him to death with what amounts to small splinters to him we interact and use the enviroment, siege weapons and the like to kill him. meanwhile everybody not maning the big guns tries to keep the minions off the others and help their fallen comrades back to their feet.

Who is John Galt?