Thread: GW2 Book Order

10+ Year Old Account

GW2 Book Order

Hello everyone, just thought that I would start out by saying how much I am looking forward to this game. It has everything that I have been looking for in a modern MMO and I cannot wait to try it out.

That being said, as much as I love playing the game for what it is at face value and being able to go "ooooh" and "ahhhh" and being ignorant to some aspects of gameplay, I dislike going into a video game with what appears to have a very set-in lore and honestly not knowing what the hell is going on. I myself am an RPer, and as much as I love just playing the game for what it is, I love being able to attempt to wrap myself up in self-created story lines/arcs.

So my question is with the Guild Wars books that have come out. So far I have not yet read any of them but have spent my free time on the wiki's/fan-sites dedicated to their lore, and even though those websites give you (forgive the phrase) a shit ton of information, they do not however make the lore sound enticing and as such I am not really able to delve in and appreciate what is going on in the world. So, with all the books that have been released, what is the order that I should attempt to read the books in?

Note: Be aware that even though after reading the info on wiki's and fan-sites I have never actually even played GW1. Also, sorry about writing so much, I just like to "read" myself talk... (poor attempt at humor I know)

Start with Edge of Destiny, the events in that book takes place before the events in Ghosts of Ascalon. I started with Edge of Destiny myself.

With that said, both are a good read. In whatever order you take them you're in for a treat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, thank you. Honestly can't wait to pick them up, I haven't read a good book for a while.

Hopefully these authors are actual writers and not that hot bag of mess that is Knaak...

I'm reading Ghosts of Ascalon now, and it's honestly great. It gets a bit info-dumpy at times, but it doesn't draw away from the story.

Definitely worth getting.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Both of them are good but personally I preferred Ghosts of Ascalon. It's a very well written story that sent chills down my spine and there are plenty of nice lore bits in it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I finished reading GoA last week. I really enjoyed the story, and it does a good job at giving you a feel for the races.
    Gullik in particular had me literally lol'ing a few times with his Norn antics.

Now to read EoD...

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the original Guild Wars series a bit, but I never followed them massively/got into the lore too much, I just felt the gameplay was a bit too limited (which was a shame, and is the reason I can't wait for GW2).

I've been looking at the novels, and would like to read them... however, how necessary is an understanding of the lore/story in the original game to be able to follow the novels, or to be likely to be able to get a full understanding of what's happening in GW2?

Does anybody know of any good places to read up on the full backstory to it all and catch up on the happenings of the first game? So far the best I've been able to find is just the summaries on wikipedia... which I'm sure can't be the best solution out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMedicine View Post
    I played the original Guild Wars series a bit, but I never followed them massively/got into the lore too much, I just felt the gameplay was a bit too limited (which was a shame, and is the reason I can't wait for GW2).

I've been looking at the novels, and would like to read them... however, how necessary is an understanding of the lore/story in the original game to be able to follow the novels, or to be likely to be able to get a full understanding of what's happening in GW2?

Does anybody know of any good places to read up on the full backstory to it all and catch up on the happenings of the first game? So far the best I've been able to find is just the summaries on wikipedia... which I'm sure can't be the best solution out there.
    Oh, Edge of Destiny is meant as a prologue to GW2, and Ghosts of Ascalon too in a sense. Both of them provide a solid understanding of Tyria's state as we pick up GW2. Oh and, I hadn't played GW1 either when I first read them. You can just dive right into the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbelbasse View Post
    Oh, Edge of Destiny is meant as a prologue to GW2, and Ghosts of Ascalon too in a sense. Both of them provide a solid understanding of Tyria's state as we pick up GW2. Oh and, I hadn't played GW1 either when I first read them. You can just dive right into the books.
    Oh, neat, thanks. Just ordered both of the books... looking forwards to the read.