Poll: What is your favourite thing about Guild Wars 2

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    There’s no tick box for “everything”

But my top 3 would be

- Dynamic questing, all the video’s I’ve seen of this looks amazing

- Removal of the trinity system. No trinity means complete freedom in play style and character, and as long as you survive then play however you want

- No trinity means no limits on encounters. For all the variations of encounters in WoW when you look closely at them they’re all pretty much the same and because of the trinity system this will never change. This is because the moment you do change something about how the standard encounter works then one class will do more work and one class will do less. You can’t have very dynamic encounters with trinity because only a very small number of party members will be able to take the amount of damage from the boss or mobs. GW 2 will have none of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dynamic Events.

That is all

10+ Year Old Account
    The company behind it. Arenanet has amazed me time and time again with how enthousiastic they are, and how willing they are to change stuff in the game in response to feedback (sylvari redesign, for example).

For the poll, I chose the DE's
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    I would say dynamic events, I love the idea of being able to just walk around and naturally find content to do, instead of following paths dictated by quests.

The trinity. Fuck the trinity. Let it die in a fire and never be heard of again starting with the new generation of MMOs.

Love,
    A pure DPS class player since 1999.

1) World v World v World PVP in a controllable zone. I really hope this turns out to be DAOC RvR 2.0 and not Warhammer.

2) No more holy trinity. This should make WvWvW a lot more interesting and fun.

3) Environmental detail and no flying mounts. I really like games that feel vast, and flying mounts completely kill that.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    DIE holy Trinity DIE!

I never ever want to be forced into a role I don't want to play for the 'good of the guild' EVER again.

Deleted
    Honestly, it's a mix of everything. But if I had to pick one, then definetly the Holy Trinity. I'm so sick and tired of mmo's that force people into a certain roll if they've decided to play that particular profession. Sadly, we'll still have alot of people in GW2 that'll still stick to those kind of demands (GUARDIAN ONLY HEAL PLZ, WARRIOR GRAB AGGRO NAO, ELEMENTALIST SHEEP STAR, MESMER FEAR CIRCLE, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to a dynamic world. My only wish is that they add dynamic weather and seasonal changes in addition to the classic night/day scenario.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My feelings reflect what the poll says. I'm torn between the breaking of the Holy Trinity. No longer can people blame each other if they die. You die, its your own fault. HOPEFULLY, this type of game play will create a learning curve that is not to steep so that players feel good and are subsequently rewarded for learning their profession. Knowing the ins and outs, their cool downs, how to survive and how to burn your target down, etc.

But when it comes right down to it, I truly love the dynamic event system. It gives players, like myself, how enjoy mmo's but don't always enjoy that "you're in an MMO, so to do anything really fun, you MUST be playing with others" a change to have fun. You don't have to spam "invite please" over and over and over and over. The DE system doesn't even toss you into a group. Groups can be clunky and they can exclude late comers. The social aspect of the DE system is what sells it for me. And the reward system of participation is just icing on the cake. You don't want to grind out 100+ mobs again? Fine, go pick up vital items to help everyone else. You don't want to defend the garrison? Fine, just go around rezing players and npcs and tossing out buffs. L-O-V-E IT!
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought of something else I like: It's not owned by blizzard. God I hate blizzard.

For me it's the weapon-based skills and weapon swapping system. I love everything else, but that takes the cake. It's not a choice but I don't care!

I voted Dynamic Events. But I would have to say the sidekicking mechanic. My god, talk about allowing to game at your own pace and availability of time while still being allowed to play with your friends. No fear of out-leveling or of being out-leveled by your friends. WOOO!

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely adore two things in the game:
    1. No monthly fee is just the best!
    2. The Charr! I just love their story, their animation, their everything! Can't wait to play one! ^^

If I must choose one single thing then it must be the Breaking of the Holy Trinity. Why? Because Im a bit tierd of the same old in every mmo games.
    I really love this idea, because now people can not blame each if they die. It will be our own job to survive and if you die then it is your own fault.
    Last edited by Reward; 2011-10-02 at 02:51 PM.

I very much like the PvP combat, it looks amazing.
    I'm more of a PvP person now, but with all the new zones and adventures I'm going to do a lot more PvE than I've done in years! :P

Ok, this is going to be long, so feel free to skip it.

The thing is, what I like about GW2 is that the developers have the same I deas as I have about how MMOs work. Traditionally MMOs have been at heart single player games with forced multiplayer. The default option until now is that everyone is an enemy: either literally if he's of the opposite faction, or simply because by being there he can "steal" your reasources and kill the mobs you also needed for your quest. Of course, you can group, but now we're talking about an extra effort, however small - unless you take the time to setup that group, everyone is an enemy or a competitor.

Multiplayer content has its own logistical problems; the fixed amount of people in a raid, the rather strict composition, loot drama, rotations to be kept in and out of the raid, and so on. Now that I think on it, if I wanted to make sure nobody was going to do raids I would have done exactly that. It comes, really, from the earlier days of MMOs where content was scarce, players were absolutely dedicated and you had to make sure content lasted as much as possible by putting as many obstacles in the way as possible.

So, traditional MMOs actually, paradoxically, reward solo playing with more actual playing time (I don't count the time spent spamming chat channels with "LF tanks instance X and go" and when I got the tank another half an hour "LF healer Instance X and go" because the healer had to go when the tank arrived as playing) and less dealing with idiots. To me, the solution was evident; set up the game so the default state of players is cooperation, not confrontation. set up multiplayer content so an specific combo and number of players isn't needed.

So far GW2 seems to be doing that quite well.

Dynamic events. A world that's constantly in flux, the very shape and form of each server will be different. Your server feels alive, I think that event chains are the start of something really special in the way a MMO works.

Dynamic events also encourage social gameplay, more people = more fun (so the theory goes). This is a radical departure from elitist exclusive raid content. Not only that but their elite content, 5 man dungeons, will be dynamic themselves. Events take place while you're crawling, instead of 'clear trash -> kill boss -> rinse -> repeat'. Different experiences each time you crawl (so the theory goes), and yet you'll always have access to the same kinds of rewards. You have that carrot at the end of the stick, but it's supposed to feel less grindy.

I'm absolutely in love with the idea of a social MMO. I can't wait to play it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Too many to count.