Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

H Ragnaros 25 nerfed strategy?

What is the current consensus for the best strategies to use on Ragnaros in 25-man nerfed heroic mode?

Most strategy discussions and guides are for the non-nerfed version, and it's not clear from them which shortcuts the nerfs allow you to take.

Tips?

Deleted
    Only difference pre nerf to now is the fight is quicker..
    P1: traps and healing them is the same, just cost less mana. it should last just under or around 2mins you want to get him to 70% by (I think dont quote me on this) or just before the 5th trap lands thus leaving 2 traps up,
    P2: Take the last 2 traps in p2 right after engulfing and everyone is tacked up move aoe adds >> dodge engulding >> take the last trap I took us 3 seeds spawns to get him to 40, If your you can not push to 40%, take the 4th seed run and then burn him down, with th HP you should be able to take him to 37 before he drops and the adds spwn,
    P3: same as before and you wana aim for 2 meteors anyway, anymore and your gona have a long p4
    P4: RELAX most ppls panic and stack up on the frost patch and blow it up, noting new, same old same old.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by T Man View Post
    P3: same as before and you wana aim for 2 meteors anyway, anymore and your gona have a long p4
    Two?
    Why not one?

Is one meteor spawn still hard after nerfs and much more gear than Paragon had on their first kill?
    Does it still place restrictions on raid composition that make other parts of the fight hard enough that it's not an overall improvement?

Also, regarding seeds, is the AoE tactic still the best for someone new to the fight?
    Or would a single-target strategy like Method's be much easier to learn and more lenient?

Not sure though if both 1 meteor and non-AoE seeds are achievable, might have to choose between those.
    Last edited by mmoc2ed287be52; 2011-09-27 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your strat changes slightly depending on your guilds dps really.....other then that it's the same.

Made by dubbelbasse

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolisa View Post
    Two?
    Why not one?
    Because it's just as hard as getting 2 before nerf, if not worse. Slightly less with nerfed Scion hp, but it's still difficult... in 25 man at least. Doable, of course, but not really worth spending that much time in P3.
    Damage nerf doesn't matter. Most of the stuff that wipes you is either instakill - like chain traps, multiple seed, headshoted by Elementals, Geyser, Meteor, etc. It could be possible to survive additional tick from World in Flames, but you still need to dance properly.

Nerfed hp means elementals don't require *that much* stacking to be AOEd down, but it's still pretty close. For transitions, it barely matters. Either you had everything under control, or a Son ran into hammer with 90% hp - you don't really get "he had 15% and exploded, if only he had less hitpoints". You might get both Scions down before P3, but it does require some luck with Son placement (at least you have this on farm I guess)

Main difference is that 2 meteors shouldn't be a problem unless you really mess up in P3.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2011-09-27 at 03:12 PM.

its much more forgivable its still the same fight
    N

Deleted
    Engulfing hits for 50-60k a tick, 30ish with fient for me anyway. adds die faster giving you more dps in p2..... P3 As its nerfed most guilds now progressing on him I believe go for 4-5 healers. If you can get 1 to spwn in p3 then do it! but really no rush, p4 is pretty laid back once you do it.

This is our kill we had 2 deaths in p2 and 3 I think and this was our first pull, were using 4 healers and the first spawned at 13%

For the lazies:
    Pull at 14:00
    P4 at 23:00

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by T Man View Post
    we had 2 deaths in p2 and 3 I think and this was our first pull, were using 4 healers and the first spawned at 13%
    I think you mistook 23% for 13%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    I think you mistook 23% for 13%.
    Haha woops my bad, the "second" spawn was around 13%

10+ Year Old Account
    1 tank, 1 healer, 23 dps. Zerg it like a boss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Splosion View Post
    Try it and tell us how it goes for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as pushing 1 meteor goes I don't think it's extremely difficult since my guilds pushed a single meteor all of our kills....Which greatly reduces the time spent in p4 and also makes dreadflame even less of an issue as a soft enrage due to how fast p4 will go.

Made by dubbelbasse

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't die, dps doesn't matter. Zerk timer is silly

Getting a single meteor requires an almost perfect transition phase and lots of single-target DPS. That said, the fight is obviously doable with 2, it's the 3rd spawn (which gives you #3 and #4) that is an insta-wipe. Phase 4 would be infinitely easier with 1 meteor instead of 2, but it's not that big of a deal.
    Alt-aholics Anonymous member since 2005.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...totemic/simple
    85 Restoration Shaman, Elemental off-spec.

It's misleading to call getting 1 meteor 'easy'.

Getting one meteor is not hard for good guilds, with excellent DPS/comp/execute setup, with players who know the fight well, who get a strong p3 transition (entry into intermission + killing scions) and who have a solid p3 strat.

People who are new to the fight should NOT magically expect you'll waltz in and get one meteor because those guilds said it was 'easy'. It is something you need to work and aim towards getting. It is much more doable now after the recent nerfs, of course, but still isnt handed to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Splosion View Post
    Amazing strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    It's misleading to call getting 1 meteor 'easy'.

Getting one meteor is not hard for good guilds, with excellent DPS/comp/execute setup, with players who know the fight well, who get a strong p3 transition (entry into intermission + killing scions) and who have a solid p3 strat.

People who are new to the fight should NOT magically expect you'll waltz in and get one meteor because those guilds said it was 'easy'. It is something you need to work and aim towards getting. It is much more doable now after the recent nerfs, of course, but still isnt handed to you.
    I think this is right on. Guilds that were at 6/7 and working on Rag pre-nerf will probably be able to push 1 meteor but a guild that has reached 6/7 post-nerf and is just starting to work on the fight is likely going to have problems pushing 1 meteor. And that's fine, its not the end of the world and its perfectly fine to get 2 meteors and learn P4 that way. That's how nearly everyone did it pre-nerf.

The nerf isn't going to change the strategy, it just lessens the damage you take and the health you have to burn down in the different stages. It can also allow you to get away with needing to spend less time AoE'ing or have classes which aren't very good at AoE simply focus on the boss and let the others take care of the seeds.

Getting to phase four with one meteor is still extremely difficult for the vast majority of guilds and will more likely than not require you to three heal the fight.

The only changes you'll see are fewer traps in phase one and a much earlier end to phase two therefore requiring you to possibly hold dps until a third set of seeds go out.

Deleted
    Thanks!

What about the seeds?

Assuming one accepts to have two meteors, could it be easier to run a healer-heavy composition (e.g. 5 or maybe even 6 healers) and staying spread rather than AoEing? (like I saw in Method's video)

Or is the AoE tactic likely easier and it just takes some practice to perfect it?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your healers would be bored to death. The only healing intensive part are transitions (and P4, largely dependant on RNG), otherwise there's very little to do. Most of stuff that kills you cannot be healed through anyway, so it barely matters. Yeah, sure, sometimes you do get 2 x Heat on healers and you're struggling to keep your raid alive, but that's where raid cooldowns come into play. 4 healers are comfortable, 3 can have it's moment, 5 is just for single target version, which is indeed much harder to heal.

We started with single targeting and honestly... the difference was huge. They did nerf elemental damage in the meantime, but in AOE, all adds are dead before World in Flames start - with maybe couple still alive if you have few people outside the group for extra aoe. In single target, even if they die fast, you'll still get hit and all those hits add up quickly.

Hell, I can easily say that we wasted far too many attempts trying to go with single target. You really don't need multiple moonkins/DK for AOE version to work. Just use Warlocks, Rogues, Mages, Shadow Priests... Keeping 3-4 people outside main group and letting them comfortably AOE without risking 1shot = much easier if you can't get "perfect" aoe comp.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2011-09-27 at 08:36 PM.