Thread: Leveling

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Leveling

So I'm new to LoL, but I'm a pretty experienced gamer and have a lot of experience with this type of game. I started playing a week ago and love this game. My question is what is the best method of getting your character to 30? I obviously did the vs AI games until I could do PvP, but I'm just wondering what would be the quickest way. I can see how you are limited from doing certain builds without having your mastery tree filled out and without having all your rune slots in addtion to having weak runes that can make that small difference. Also the PvP Q times are much longer. Is it quicker to just play a bunch of vs AI until I hit 30? Thanks and sorry if this is posted elsewhere I made a good attempt at looking around before I posted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Explosions View Post
    So I'm new to LoL, but I'm a pretty experienced gamer and have a lot of experience with this type of game. I started playing a week ago and love this game. My question is what is the best method of getting your character to 30? I obviously did the vs AI games until I could do PvP, but I'm just wondering what would be the quickest way. I can see how you are limited from doing certain builds without having your mastery tree filled out and without having all your rune slots in addtion to having weak runes that can make that small difference. Also the PvP Q times are much longer. Is it quicker to just play a bunch of vs AI until I hit 30? Thanks and sorry if this is posted elsewhere I made a good attempt at looking around before I posted.
    The quickest way imo would be to buy an xp boost and farm the shit out of dominion.

however I can't see why you would voluntarily level to 30 straight away, you would have virtually no IP for runes, wouldn't have a feel for a lot of the characters and the overall skill level of your opponents would be a lot higher.

Playing vs AI i would definitely not recommend as they play nothing like players and if you get too complacent in playing them, you would be in for a huge shock when you come against proper players.

i'm only a level 13, but take it from me, youre going to want to try and make the levelling process last as long as you can :3

Deleted
    After 4 AI matches you dont gain any IP nor XP so that isnt the way to go.

The fastest to lvl is doing pvp matches with the XP boosts.

I also advise you to dont buy any runes until lvl 20. You really need the IP then to buy good runes and the ones you bought before 20 would be lost anyway.
    So save up and buy the rank 3 runes at 20.

There is no real shortcut except xp boost. Just grind whatever map you like (dominion, summoner's rift or twisted treeline) and you will be lvl 30 eventually. The only real benefit for being lvl 30 is ranked games. Some players still suck in the lvl 30 bracket. And don't buy runes until lvl 20. The ones you can buy before will be replaced and are not worth it imo. If you want to spend ip before lvl 20 buy a champion you like

As said above me the quickest way is to buy an XP boost. Playing AI might be good at the start but it will slow down at higher levels truthfully man I just played casually till I hit 30 ranked games and access to better runes are the only thing you get at higher levels just play till your there IMO

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    sounds good, I did buy a couple of lower level runes, but I won't buy any more. I've heard the level 20 rune thing a good bit at this point so that's what i'll do. I've played some PvP games and like them way better anyway, I mean who wants to play against a computer? ha I just hate the Q times, but I guess that's part of it

15+ Year Old Account
    Q times will improve as you reach 30.

And yea, don't bother with the crappy runes.

It isn't likely you'll know exactly what hero you want to make as your "main" when you reach 20. Of course, you'll be tempted to go and spend all that IP.

I recommend buying 9 Glyphs of Celerity (% cooldown reduction per level) when you hit 20. Cooldown reduction helps every single champion, and are the glyph of choice for quite a few.

The next 9 runes I'd buy are Marks of Insight (Magic penetration). Unless you're dead set on playing AD carries, magic pen will help with all champions, and will be the absolute best choice for all suppot/AP carries and some tanks too (Alistar).

After that, it's up to you. I'd buy Evasion Seals next, because anytime you go down the tank tree you'll benefit from a bit of move speed when you dodge...and it can help reduce the damage you take from AD carries. However, if you're never ever going to be a tank, Replenishment seals (Mana Regen / 5 sec) are a great choice for early game spell harassment. Having good cooldown reduction and good starting magic pen will get you off on the right foot.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik..._runes#Insight

^^ That's a good resource...please, please note that you should only be buying "primary" marks/seals/glyphs as those provide the most benefit.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2011-09-27 at 05:50 PM.

Leveling should be your time to learn the game, being good at level 1 doesnt really much. By level 30 you should know whichever champ you are played very well and have a decent knowledge of most if not all champs. And I wouldnt worry too much about runes or masteries. I run with absolute garbage runes and seem to do decent if not quite well. and while leveling at most people will have a 3-4 level advantage which wont mean too much.

Deleted
    did I understand you right? you buy runes on lower levels? you shouldn't buy runes until you have access to tier 3 runes (lvl 20+). even there, runes start to matter around level 25.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Toxi that's some very good info. And no herbert I only bought a few and then started seeing all the people talking about waiting and didn't buy any more. I probably only spend a couple hundred points since at low level you can only have a couple. Also just had my first experience with the free hero switch. I've only bought a couple and although I heard that they would change I guess I wasn't sure when and also not thinking about it. Joined a game and got put in a position where I didn't know any of the heros I had to chose from. Long story short I got raped, but it was still fun

Like everyone else said, leveling is your time to learn the game. Don't spend too much time playing vs bots, you'll learn nothing. PvP all the way, make sure to get your daily win, they help alot and its good IP.

As for champions, i'd say play all the champions at least once so yo get a general understanding of what they do and they can do to you when yo are playing against them.

Again, everyones has said it, wait for teir 3 runes. Personally i'd recommend geting your Armor pen and Magic pen Marks first depending on what type of champs you like to play. If find yourself playing alot of AD champions then flat AD or Armor pen quints is ususally the way to, as for AP champs, almost everyone gets Flat AP quints just becuase you can get Magic pen from boots.

From what Toxigen said, i'd have to disagree with the cooldown reduction per level runes, i'd say probably 3 champions tops would actually need them, but thats just my option.

Anyways good luck.

Play champions that interest you, don't let anyone keep you from it if you are dedicated.

Example: People say riven sucks, I bought her and showed them that they were wrong with a day of practice and finally understanding how she is suppose to be played.

10+ Year Old Account
    atm im trying to get to lv20 for T3 runes which ive saved all my IP for and am almost lv17 with bout 16k IP it takes so long im losing interest in it and im pretty sure ill of quit and uninstalled it by the time i get to 20

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    atm im trying to get to lv20 for T3 runes which ive saved all my IP for and am almost lv17 with bout 16k IP it takes so long im losing interest in it and im pretty sure ill of quit and uninstalled it by the time i get to 20
    Find some friends to play with, its much more fun when you can talk shit together

Deleted
    As someone who is taking his 3rd account to 30, I will give you advice from my experience.

It's your first account for one. Don't rush it. Don't wait till 20 to spend your IP. I learnt the game, by seeing champions, and wanting to play them. Unless you think you're of the skill level to be able to jump straight into ranked at 30, and carry yourself out of elo hell, I'd say get a feeling for all the champions, play them, play against them.

When you've found a champion you like to play, start building a runepage for him. Consider how you want to play the champion. Do you want to jungle? Then Attackspeed and flat armor runes are standard. Do you want to lane? Then Armor per level, and Magic Resist per level are good picks. Read around some guides, for more in-depth guides, head over to SoloMid and get a general consensus of what is best.

Play with friends. It will make the game that much more enjoyable. I levelled my first 2 accounts alone, and it was very boring. The account I'm levelling now, we have a channel of about 15-20 people, and we play together, we laugh, we joke, we rage. We have 30s in our group, we have platinum players. We just mess around together, I've gone from 10-28 (so far) and haven't had a better time in the game.

Don't rush to 30. If you do, don't jump straight into ranked without understanding the finer points of the game. For example, why is the Solo lane top when you have a jungler, and not bottom? - Having a duolane bottom gives you dragon protection.

Last, but not least, try and watch some Streams on Solomid.net or CLGaming.net - Look for the high level, featured streams. They were so insightful when I started playing