Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    You will be able to change it for a price. They do not want to put in too many restrictions on gameplay and not being able to change AC would be rather restricting.

It is somewhere in the info that Troll has put together.
    I like sandwiches

It was confirmed at San Diego Comic Con that you CAN in fact change your advanced class. It will be cheap the first time and will quickly get expensive after that. So unless they have changed it in the past couple of months, you can expect to see this feature in release.

Source:
    SDCC 2011: BioWare Base Q&A + TOR Reveal
    You can actually watch the Q&A here:
    Day 1: 2011 Comic-Con - Star Wars The Old Republic Q&A Session

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Healing paladin plays differently than prot. Disc plays differently than shadow. Does that make them seperate classes?

ACs are just a variant of specs, they're not actually two different classes.
    No, they really are not. The specs are specs in this game. Each AC has 3 specs, just like WoW.

The AC's are the classes. Swapping from Sorceror to Assassin would literally be like switching from Mage to Rogue in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The AC's are the classes. Swapping from Sorceror to Assassin would literally be like switching from Mage to Rogue in WoW.
    In your opinion that's how it would be. Different specs having different passive talents or powers is nothing particularly new.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

In your opinion that's how it would be. Different specs having different passive talents or powers is nothing particularly new.
    No, that is not my opinion. That is how the developers themselves have compared it. If you disagree with them, that's your perogative, but that is the design standpoint they are basing everything on.

Also, to continue with my example, Assassin versus Sorc is much more than different passive powers. It's an entirely different gameplay style. Ranged vs. Melee, Heal vs. Tank. They aren't just tiny differences, they are hugely different.

This isn't going to be rift, where you can respec every thirty seconds to do literally anything. SW:TOR wants your choices to matter, once you pick an AC and level it up, that's your class.

Also, I believe, though I'm not sure, that the different specs within an AC already provide different passive powers and talents anyway.
    Last edited by Chrysia; 2011-09-27 at 08:20 PM.

I hope it is REALLY expensive. It's basically like re-rolling a different class but with all of your level, mounts, obtained gear and titles intact. I mean come on, it better be a dang luxury.

That's not to say I wouldn't like to change my AC every once in a while for a change of pace. Mybe once every big patch or something.
    I am Dave ! Yognaut and I have the balls! *salutes*

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo89 View Post
    It was confirmed at San Diego Comic Con that you CAN in fact change your advanced class. It will be cheap the first time and will quickly get expensive after that. So unless they have changed it in the past couple of months, you can expect to see this feature in release.

Source:
    SDCC 2011: BioWare Base Q&A + TOR Reveal
    You can actually watch the Q&A here:
    Day 1: 2011 Comic-Con - Star Wars The Old Republic Q&A Session
    and I could be mistaken but was the level 20 not mentioned at some point as being when you will no longer be able to change AC no matter what. I thought I read that as a possibility. Capping AC changing at 20 no matter what credits you want to pay.

You can changed your AC once or twice for not too much. After that it starts getting monumentally expensive and then around level 20 you can't change it no matter what.

Seems I read that somewhere but of course I can't find where I read that level 20 thing.

and if that is true, then I'm OK with that limited AC changed and then capping it off to not allow it any more. I think it needs to be in game to a limited extent as we have heard.
    Last edited by quras; 2011-09-27 at 08:20 PM.

Healing paladin plays differently than prot. Disc plays differently than shadow. Does that make them seperate classes?

They're the same in that they will have a similar storyline and similar mechanics, sure. Then again, this isn't something you can really explain using different games idea of "classes"

At this point I'm viewing the game as starting with only 4 classes:

Tough Non Force User
    Squishy Non Force User
    Tough Force User
    Squshy Force User

and that's the toturial to play the intro before even selecting what WoW might considering a class.
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    No, you cannot change your advance class ever at all. You can respect your points and go DPS or heals, but you can't go from sorcerer to assassin. When you get your class quest to decide at level 10 its tells you that once you pick it there is no going back. Not sure if this is breaking the NDA as you can just search Google and find the answer.
    According to the information that's going around, the devs are still deciding but odds look good. According to what I've seen, and yes it was posted by a dev... See Bellow... the first time you change AC it will be expensive, but not so much. After that it will scale up to the point where it will be almost impossible to afford

*** Dev Tracker ***

GeorgZoeller - General Discussion -> What happened to killing your companions?
    07.29.2011 06:56 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SkybladeDarkstar
    Read it again. "It MIGHT be that we don't let players respec their Advanced Class at ship, but then 6 months down the road we do. Or we do allow them to respec the Advanced Class, but at an enormous cost and then we lower that?"

That states, very definitely, that it was not ruled out for launch, because the second option was an option that involved it being implemented at launch. It was fairly clear that the system was completely up in the air at that point, and nothing was ruled out.

That is correct. We had identified this particular aspect as 'needs data from testing before we can make a call' and we communicated it as such.

The current plan is 'we are rolling out Advanced Class respec onto the test servers, along with a pricing curve and potential additional limits to prevent changing Advanced Classes after the early teens'.

We will then analyze the impact this has on the game from testing and go from there.

Obviously, the ideal is that people don't ever need to respec their Advanced Class. There are additional measures we are putting in place to improve the communication about that choice to the player before it happens. Ideally, we would also allow you to 'test drive' the AC , but that's fairly expensive and unlikely to happen. It's more likely that we stick with a short period (a few levels) during which you can change your AC class for a credit cost before it locks in. We might attach other limiters than just credits (e.g completely disable the option past level 20 instead of a very high cost of credits.). That's what testing will determine.

IMO making it expensive is not really a deterrent, unless as the economy changes, they make it even more expensive... I doubt SWTOR will be a big exception to the rule of inflation, where what was once ridiculously expensive is later something you can do at the flip of a coin...

If there isnt a level cap to being able to switch (ex: you cant change after level 20) it should cost some sort of end game resource (like WoW's valor points), so that you wouldn't want to be swapping back and forth during progression as it would cost you gear that you need... After progression is over, your guild is just farming content, and you amass a bunch of points, you could then swap back and forth all you want but any clear advantage you might have gained has passed... until new content came out but then you'd need your points for gear again...
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-09-27 at 08:23 PM.

Ugh so wrong. Think about ret paladin and holy priest. That is the difference between 2 ACs in TOR.
    I am Dave ! Yognaut and I have the balls! *salutes*

I don't really a problem with this. Imagine this instead.

Every class have now become 2 classes. So there is a total of 16 classes instead of 8.

In WoW when you make a new character, you already know what class you are going to make. It's not like you can skip the choice of picking your class.
    In TOR you get to pick your class straight away (as in wow) but later at 10 you get to pick your advanced class. A choice you should have made from start already.
    I don't see those 10 first levels (I think it's 10, or maybe it was 20?) as you getting to learn your class then to pick an advanced class. Since the first 10 levels doesn't really show you much of what the different advanced classes have to offer.
    Instead I think BioWare decided to make it into these 8 different classes so they wouldn't have to make 8 new stories, a Jedi Sentinel and Guardian will have the same story for example.

So just like in WoW you have to pick your class before you start playing. But this is more of an specialized picking. Do I want to be a warrior who wield two sabers or one?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTape View Post
    Ugh so wrong. Think about ret paladin and holy priest. That is the difference between 2 ACs in TOR.
    I know what the difference is because I'm in beta.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

i like the idea of being able to switch AC at a certain cost because while one may have read and studied and researched everything available in the universe about how an AC should behave at max level, there's always a chance you may get there and not like it...and there's always a chance that the things you like about that AC get changed later on during post-release balancing...having flexibility is never a bad thing, and i don't see why so many players want to limit other players options...if you like your AC, don't change, it's that simple...but cheering for inflexible mechanics that may end up making people waste time rerolling for the sake of having "decisions matter" (in a video game) is lame, imo...

Randy, I'll give you a hypothetical. Lets say you leveled a Warrior in WoW up to max level, but then decided you didn't like Warriors, or something changed, are you going to demand that Blizzard allow you to change that Warrior to a Mage? No, you picked your class, so now that's your class. If you don't like it, you reroll.

That's what we, and, thus far, the developers are saying. The AC's aren't subspecs, they are separate classes, you just pick them a little later than in WoW.

Latest dev forum postings and interviews has suggested several things:

1. The whole advance class respec is being highly tested and reiterated upon.
    2. Currently, there is no significant cost to respeccing your AC, but you only have a very very limited window to change your mind and respec the AC. This was from a GZ post.
    3. Gabe (head PVP/PVE dev) indicated at Gamescom that no dual spec (ie: the trees within an Advanced Class) for launch, but may be a feauture implemented soon after launch.

If it's not allowed at launch, it's a very safe bet that it will be allowed down the road.

Right now, the WoW dungeon finder has long queue times with DPS. In SWTOR, this could potentially be worse because the dungeon/flashpoint makeup is 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 dps *and* there's no LFD matchmaking tool, so instead of queuing up and alt-tabbing or watching TV for 30-45 minutes, you have to spend that time barking and watching LFG (with no addons to assist). DPS characters might find themselves increasingly frustrated with not being able to find a group and mechanics such as multi-spec (AC or otherwise) assist with increasing the pool of available tanks and healers without introducing cross-server groups.

However, these issues with DPS finding groups may not surface until several months after launch when server populations start to taper off. Another unknown variable is that companion-assisted leveling may play a huge role in seeing more people roll tanks and healers.

Of course, while a companion may be able to fulfill the role of a tank or healer when one is not available, I have a feeling that tanking and healing companions will only be viable in normal flashpoints and fail in heroics given a group that doesn't overgear the place.

10+ Year Old Account

You're talking about talent trees. AC is a totaly different thing especially since bouth classes have 2 different trees which makes them unique.
    Last edited by vian; 2011-09-27 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    You're talking about talent trees. AC is a totaly different thing especially since bouth classes have 2 different talent trees.
    No, it really isn't. It's no different than in any number of games when you spend a "Specialization Point" and gain access to a new set of trees.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    You're talking about talent trees. AC is a totaly different thing.
    and I often wonder if thats not one reason why BW is allowing AC's to be swapped for a small window of time. There are those that just seem to have a hard tiem grasping what BW has done with classes and Adv classes.

You have 8 classes.
    Under the 8 classes you have 16 Adv. Classes. (that are so different you can pretty much say you have 16 classes.)
    Most Adv. classes have 2 entirely different talent trees for healing, DPS or tanking along with 1 shared talent tree.

While you can respec talent trees all you like for a few credits and time. Your window to change AC is very limited, costly and most likely going to have a level cap when you wont ever be able to do it again.