Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It is not a simple update. There is alot of work and research that needs done to make a thread like this and they simply do not have the time to do so.

Also, as already stated by Drunk, if you think a thread no longer deserves to be stickied then contact a mod via the report button.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I'll be as fair as to say that Marest has ultimately failed. It's reaching a point where one really should be changing it around a little. Though with that said it's still a pretty hefty massive undertaking with so many builds.

That said, you said Sandy Bridge to Haswell, but I don't see any Sandy Bridge CPUs. I only see Sandy Bridge-E, which should be me Ivy Bridge-E now I suppose, and some Ivy Bridge processors that were probably in the list because of a lower cost for combo, which should be a Haswell combo now yeah.

- - - Updated - - -

So getting back to this thread, I thought I'd sit down and do a small list of builds that could be relevant modifications to the current OP. Though bear in mind that I would very much like some input on the builds I'll be listing.

Office 240
    MoBo: ASRock QC5000-ITX$98.99
    CPU: AMD A4-5000 APU – (Comes with MoBo)
    RAM: Team Elite 1333MHz 2x2GB$38.99
    SSD: Kingston V300 120GB$54.99
    Case: Rosewill RS-MI-01 250W$44.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $237.96
    Notes:
    Originally linked motherboard with embedded CPU
    is no longer available, therefore it's been replaced.
    RAM prices have changed, RAM replaced as result.
    SSD is... on sale? Not sure. Please give input.

- - - Updated - - -

Family/Office/Entry 320
    MoBo: ASRock FM2A55M-VG3+$42.99
    CPU: AMD A8-6600K$99.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz 2x2GB$45.99
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
    OR Kingston V300 120GB$54.99
    PSU: EVGA 430w$39.99
    Case: Xigmatek Aeos$29.99
    Estimated Total Price – $313.94
    Notes:
    Many of the items are on varied sales and should
    probably be replaced. Need input.
    All components replaced, though original CPU is
    still around for the same price.

- - - Updated - - -

Budget Gaming 560
    MoBo: ASRock Z97M Pro4$99.99
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3258$74.99
    RAM: HyperX 1600MHz 2x4GB$69.99
    GPU: XFX Radeon R7 260x$124.99
    HDD: Kingston V300 120GB$54.99
    AND Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $54.99
    PSU: Corsair CXM 430w$49.99
    Case: Xigmatek Aeso$29.99
    Estimated Total Price – $559.92

Notes:
    New overclockable Pentium CPU means Z97 board
    is preferred. Some overclocking sincerely very
    recommended.
    Otherwise, a fair few sales items. Changes may
    be pending to list. Not sure how long it lasts.
    Input wanted.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2014-06-25 at 04:30 PM.

Yes, the SSD looks to be ~$50 off it's normal price, so might be better to stick with a HDD or get a MX100 for a bit more.

Found this combo that is a good $20 cheaper, could use that and swap to the MX100 to keep the parts at a steady price.

I get to sit on my butt all day today(stupid inspections) so I might take a crack going through all of these.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Yeah, I think stepping it down to the 60 GB version may be better off later on, but the pricemarket for SSDs seemed really volatile, so I didn't really know what I wanted to hedge the bets on. :P

Deleted
    Updated first post. Thanks for the input Drunken + everyone else. (It almost made it a full year... 2 days to spare.)

Surprisingly enough not that much has happened. We still see the same GPUs, and Haswell Refresh is exactly what the name tells you. There are some new cases though that are interesting to check out, and a lot has happened to SSD prices. RAM is a bit more expensive compared to last year, and the ~800 build today performs about on par with the ~800 build last year.

Most interesting is the Pentium Anniversary Edition (rejoice!) and AMDs new low-power APUs.

Expect stuff to happen in 2015/16 though as we move to new architectures (both GPUs and CPUs) and DDR4, as well as 4K resolution.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2014-07-05 at 02:44 PM.

Well, the RAM in the first build has apparently become unavailable now. Guess you can replace it with this, but it's a $4 increase. The SSD's sale has also changed from $54.99 to $69.99.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2014-07-05 at 02:52 PM.

Deleted
    It's hard to fit a SSD in that build without increasing the total price with a bunch. I'd consider the M500 instead around $70. Might just go for a HDD instead.

To be fair though, if it's truly an office machine a 64GB or even 32GB SSD should be sufficient for something that lightweight. After all, we're ultimately talking about textfiles, maybe a few pictures, etc. A full-fledged hard drive around 500GB to 1TB big is going to be a massive echo chamber, sitting there with only Windows and a few light applications, some text documents...

Deleted

Deleted
    www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX780-SuperClocked-03G-P4-2784-KR/dp/B00CUIVSNS/

The EVGA GeForce GTX780 SuperClocked is only 399 for those who are building a new rig, no need to buy a ti or titan with those kind of overclocks
    Last edited by mmoc5e4219aa76; 2014-10-17 at 01:28 PM.

Thats not really a deal as 780s are currently hovering around the $450-470 mark and that would best be posted in the Deals Megathread anyways

Marest recommended this hard drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=14n6gjsa3wbyj

Is this a good HD still for a new build? The price can't be beat.

Well it can be beat, but by only $2-3(for a barracuda) and the caviar blue is generally more reliable, so it's a solid choice for a build.

any equivalent for the G.SKILL F3-1600C11D-8GNS in the 1200 gaming rig? I can't find it on web stores anywhere

Deleted
    Most DDR3 4x2GiB 1600MHz kits will suffice.

I'm sorry, but the way it looks I will not be able to keep this post updated any longer.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I'm sorry, but the way it looks I will not be able to keep this post updated any longer.
    No worries, everyone has their limits and times in life when they need to move on. You did a great job with what you did do. It's greatly appreciated! Keep up the good and detailed work in other aspects of your life!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Most DDR3 4x2GiB 1600MHz kits will suffice.

Sorry to see it go, but like Deltrus said, everyone eventually moves on. Thanks for all of your hard work!

Is possible to create a new slot/recommendation? My idea is following this criteria:
    * NO optical driver or other useless stuff
    * Similar to PS4/XBONE S size or smaller
    * Around PS4/XBONE S price so between $300-600

I know some people will say "if you want a ps4, buy one" but the thing is I'm happy with PC, but not with the actual PC size/weight
    Last edited by Saphyel; 2016-06-18 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyel View Post
    Is possible to create a new slot/recommendation? My idea is following this criteria:
    * NO optical driver or other useless stuff
    * Similar to PS4/XBONE S size or smaller
    * Around PS4/XBONE S price so between $300-600

I know some people will say "if you want a ps4, buy one" but the thing is I'm happy with PC, but not with the actual PC size/weight
    Those are sample builds, you are more then welcome to open a thread for any specific needs you have and people will do their best to suggest what you can get.

Unfortunately, this thread is not maintained anymore either I believe. Marest hasn't posted in over a year.