Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Lifedoom, that is mainly due to the way the tax systems differ comparing the US to the EU. Simply put, the import taxes here increase the price so that there's almost a $1=1€ conversion rate when it comes to computer parts, even if the currency conversion works out at $1=0.78€. The conversion for GBP is around $1=1.2£ (as you seem to have figured out). It's a bi-product of the mentality that trade within the EU should be "free".

This is a bit of a side-track but I'll touch on it anyway because it's related:
    If you were to import a product from the US there is a large risk that you need to pay tax on that imported good. In Sweden, the import tax is 7% of the original price, and then they add 25% (MOMS, or VAT) to the estimated original cost of that product (in Swedish: anskaffningsvärde). So, if you bought something for 1000 SEK (after currency conversion) from the US you first need to add 7% to that total cost (70 SEK) and then 25% to the original cost (which can be anything, if the product is 2500 SEK in Sweden with a "recommended price" of 3000 SEK you need to pay 25% on the 3000 SEK). The total cost in this example would be 1000 SEK (original purchase) and then an additional 820 SEK, along with the shipping cost of course.

How the above works in GB I have no clue, but there are means to avoid this tax. I won't go into that here because it's basically fraud.

Is it worth ordering from the US then if the price ends up lower (or close to the original price) even with the tax added? In my opinion, no. The simple reason is that within the EU you have some perks that you simply don't get if you order from a different continent. These can include (but are of course not limited to) right to a warranty claim by law, RMA service if the product arrives DOA, and so on. In some countries/cases you have a short period where you can choose to send back your product, unused, at no extra cost and get your money back. You are also protected by EU law when it comes to transaction and privacy details (which also holds true if you for example where to use your country's iteration of Ebay).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-11-01 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lifedoom View Post
    unsure if this has already been covered in the thread or not, but to purchase the mid range computers in your list, around $700-$900 it is going to cost me almost the same in GBP to get these parts to the UK, are there any suggestions for this. primary example being the $870 build costing £730 instead of the conversion price of around £530.
    Thanks
    That is simply how much computer stuff costs in Europe. Many states in the USA don't have VAT (sales tax), which makes things 20% cheaper than here from the start.

Deleted
    okay thanks for the help, my budget feels a lot tighter now

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    not so sure about asus 7970 being on the list. i think theres a lot better cards u can get with the same money.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    not so sure about asus 7970 being on the list. i think theres a lot better cards u can get with the same money.
    Agreed. The Gigabyte one is GHz edition, costs less money and has very comparable cooling.

Would you perhaps be willing to elaborate on your statement?

Personally, I think the DCII is a good card, but I would recommend reference cooler or GHz edition. Gigabyte one at 1100MHz would be my suggestion...

Like what? The 7970 competes just fine in it's price point. The Nvidia card does better in synthetics but in gaming benchmarks it falls behind the AMD card. I think they are pretty dead even for the most part. You can go to hwbot and see all of the samples that have been submitted or submit your own if your card can do better.

Like an MSI 7970, or a Gigabyte 7970, or a Sapphire 7970?

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Like an MSI 7970, or a Gigabyte 7970, or a Sapphire 7970?
    yes, plz c tetrisgoats post.

he knows whats up.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    So, here's my question guys. Im thnking about buying a new computer and I was wondering which of the models presented above should I be following to be able to do:
    1) Play wow, with as many fps as possible in a 25 man (Now its 40 out in the world killing sha) on ultra and it not flinching if i decide to alt tab mid raid (Not saying im going to be doing that, but as an example)
    2) Multi tasking (music, video streaming and shit while playing)
    3) Still be able to play games such as BF and Skyrim on a high graphics set up (I mean, the best I can get and not having to spend 3k u$ on the pc
    4) I want it to last... So say next expansion comes out, I dont want to have to go out and buy a new GPU just to get the same kind of performance ill be getting with the new pc now in a year or so.
    Thank you very much for your help in advance! =D
    "Ping pong wing wong king kong cheech and chong hop hip kajagoogoo!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightless View Post
    So, here's my question guys. Im thnking about buying a new computer and I was wondering which of the models presented above should I be following to be able to do:
    1) Play wow, with as many fps as possible in a 25 man (Now its 40 out in the world killing sha) on ultra and it not flinching if i decide to alt tab mid raid (Not saying im going to be doing that, but as an example)
    2) Multi tasking (music, video streaming and shit while playing)
    3) Still be able to play games such as BF and Skyrim on a high graphics set up (I mean, the best I can get and not having to spend 3k u$ on the pc
    4) I want it to last... So say next expansion comes out, I dont want to have to go out and buy a new GPU just to get the same kind of performance ill be getting with the new pc now in a year or so.
    Thank you very much for your help in advance! =D
    Make your own thread asking those questions, this thread is for discussing the actual sample builds and how to improve/update them
    Be sure to go through the stickies and include the stuff we need to know about your requirements (budget, resolution, etc). In your own thread that is.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

So i was going to buy this:
    Budget Gaming 670
    MoBo: MSI H77MA-G43 – $89.99
    CPU: Intel i5 3350P – $189.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz 2x4GB – $33.99
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7850 – $179.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB – $69.99
    PSU: XFX ProSeries 450W – $62.99 Review
    Case: Rosewill Challenger – $44.99
    and im wondering how much ram it comes with? will it be able to run CoD/ counter strke / minecraft on full settings? please help me o.o i want to start ordering parts

8GiB, and it will probably handle those games really well. If the CoD-game in question is optimised for PC, which isn't necessarily so; The first Black Ops was, apparently, poorly optimised and didn't run well on even the highest end cards at the time.
    I think you are very well off with that build though.

Deleted
    I'm thinking about building the Extreme Gaming 2700 but I dont want to use Liquid Cooling. What else could I choose to not run into heat problems?

Edit: Another Question, is crossfire really necessary? Or would 1 680 GTX be enough?
    Last edited by mmoc104c6419c3; 2012-12-05 at 04:52 AM.

If you have to ask "is X really necessary?" you might want to look at less expensive builds.
    The 2700 is great, but has fluff and overspending to be extreme; Except in very rare cases, the performance increase over the 1620-build is negligble in 1080p for gaming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    If you have to ask "is X really necessary?" you might want to look at less expensive builds.
    The 2700 is great, but has fluff and overspending to be extreme; Except in very rare cases, the performance increase over the 1620-build is negligble in 1080p for gaming.
    I know that the system is already overkill but still I wonder if crossfire is worth it. I've never ran dual graphic cards so I don't really know the benefits of it. Do most games even support it? Like newer MMO's or even older ones like WoW?

Most games yes, MMOs in general, not fully.
    Worth it? I would say no at this time, for 1080p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tereon View Post
    I know that the system is already overkill but still I wonder if crossfire is worth it. I've never ran dual graphic cards so I don't really know the benefits of it. Do most games even support it? Like newer MMO's or even older ones like WoW?
    Most MMO's don't sit well with dual cards, at best they will barely use the 2nd card and at worst you'll experience crashes/glitches.
    You basically don't go with dual cards unless you know exactly which game(s) you'll be playing and have seen some benches beforehand to get an idea of how those games scale with the 2nd card.

Also as Tetris said, @ 1080p it's not worth it...unless you're running a 120hz which can display those extra frames. The other option is running a very high-resolution monitor (1400p/1600p) or multi-monitor setup, where the power of two cards can truly kick in.

And then there's micro-stutter, which always exists in multi-GPU setups but it can vary depending upon the individual system/game. At best will be unnoticeable...and at worst it could break your gaming experience.

Golden rule is buy the single best card you can afford, which happens to be an HD7970 Ghz or GTX680...both AMD and nVidia are furiously battling it out over driver optimizations now, the latest series of Geforce beta drivers have really been pushing up numbers for nVidia. HD7970 Ghz is still better in terms of raw power though. Up to you.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-12-05 at 06:50 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Why not Corsair SP2500 for unicorn? It is a great computer sound speakers.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Why not Corsair SP2500 for unicorn? It is a great computer sound speakers.
    There is a unicorn build? Corsair SP2500 is great and already posted in the peripherals section