Front Page is Getting Crowded! How About a Filter?

Hi, I've been visitting MMO ever since I discovered it right before WotLK came out. It's always been mostly WoW news and probably will remain so for quite some time but the front page is getting crowded recently...with Rift, SC2, and now Diablo 3.

Could we maybe have a feature (that saves based on you being logged in) that we can quickly check and uncheck so that we see only news from the game(s) we play as well as an option for MMO-Report, and the ever-popular comic strips of awesome?

I hardly consider myself a fan of blizzard, I only play one of their games...and although I've tried their other ones none seem to peek my gaming fun-ness level (if that makes sense).

This feature would be really awesome, appreciate your time.

-Someone who's a bigger fan of Mmo-Champion than Blizzard

15+ Year Old Account
    On a somewhat related note, perhaps a filter for the recent posts section?

Say I don't want to see posts from the Warrior or Warlock forums, just uncheck and it won't pop up.

This will keep getting worst. Now that they are under curse they will do anything for more traffic which is more money.

That'd be cool too but I can see that being a lot more tricky than what I'm asking for, lol. Sometimes...I just really am not interested in what rotation is better for an arcane mage but would still like to know how to successfully play Affliction!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    just scroll down past the games you don't play, not too hard

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    On a somewhat related note, perhaps a filter for the recent posts section?

Say I don't want to see posts from the Warrior or Warlock forums, just uncheck and it won't pop up.
    I support this idea, and it seems relatively easy enough since its already being done for off topic.

As for the OP about the news, that would actually be a lot harder. There are a finite number of forums, but an unlimited number of possible news topics.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturae View Post
    Hi, I've been visitting MMO ever since I discovered it right before WotLK came out. It's always been mostly WoW news and probably will remain so for quite some time but the front page is getting crowded recently...with Rift, SC2, and now Diablo 3.

Could we maybe have a feature (that saves based on you being logged in) that we can quickly check and uncheck so that we see only news from the game(s) we play as well as an option for MMO-Report, and the ever-popular comic strips of awesome?

I hardly consider myself a fan of blizzard, I only play one of their games...and although I've tried their other ones none seem to peek my gaming fun-ness level (if that makes sense).

This feature would be really awesome, appreciate your time.

-Someone who's a bigger fan of Mmo-Champion than Blizzard
    There is very little news or new information coming out these days on wow so you're bound to see more random off topic threads. Refresh often and ignore the threads that don't interest you and click the ones that do?

I wouldn't be surprised if we see other games forums opening up in the near future due the sagging interest in WoW these days but I'm sure it's a fine balance admin has to keep an eye on to avoid devoted wow fans going all emo and thinking MMO champs has sold out or some silly conspiracy theory.

The only off topic thread I've seen moved off the main page was the pony one as it went viral.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love a filter to hide the recent forum posts section or, as others have suggested, to filter it down via checking and un checking recent posts from particular forums.

I hate seeing the negative threads that invariably stay near the top of the recent posts.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    to clarify, i'm pretty sure the OP its talking about the front page posts by Boubouille/chaud, not the Recent Forum Posts box

Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    just scroll down past the games you don't play, not too hard
    I wouldn't mind if the Diablo 3 news wasn't more than half the very long page down.

I have no interest in DB3 and it could be more obvious where that news ends. (Possbly different colored font depending on the game) {or a logo/avatar/icon}

Yes, Vertex, I'm talking (mainly) about the front page news being covered in games that I'm not interested in.

I've played every last one of Blizzard's games since there inception (including Warcraft: Orcs vs. Humans) and I've loved every last one of them. It's probably the only reason I'm going to buy all the xpacs to Starcraft II and Diablo III in generall.
    "While the proud child remembers his father that died, the cycle continues with vengeance alive in his eyes." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRLl2...feature=relmfu Immortal Technique Ft. Ill Bill - War Is My Destiny

Quote Originally Posted by Naturae View Post
    I'm not sure I really understand the last part. We have never once actually posted news featuring Rift. There hasn't been a thing posted about SC2 in ages (literally since it was released, and the only time before that was when beta was opening). Right now there's some D3 stuff being posted, yeah, but that's most likely going to stop entirely once the game is actually released (and even then, we're not posting a ton about it).

There's really just almost no WoW news going on right now. Would you rather there be a blank/hardly updated news area?

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    I'm not sure I really understand the last part. We have never once actually posted news featuring Rift. There hasn't been a thing posted about SC2 in ages (literally since it was released, and the only time before that was when beta was opening). Right now there's some D3 stuff being posted, yeah, but that's most likely going to stop entirely once the game is actually released (and even then, we're not posting a ton about it).

There's really just almost no WoW news going on right now. Would you rather there be a blank/hardly updated news area?
    Mistaken on the Rift (although it has it's own forums), SC 2 still has news once every blue moon. More DB3 news is yet to come, and probably a lot of it. Also, it'd be ignorant to think that no more games are coming in the future so this would be a very convenient feature of the website!

---------- Post added 2011-09-07 at 11:52 PM ----------

I hope you're not reading my text under the impression that i'm trying to be snarky, snide, or sarcastic. I really am just hoping to help get a neat feature on the forums that would be handy to everybody! (Except Mods because you have to read everything!)
    Last edited by Naturae; 2011-09-08 at 12:11 AM.

I am not speaking for Curse or MMOC officially, but as far as I know we usually only post things about other games on very slow news days when not much is happening in WoW or it is something major that will interest a large portion of the userbase.

Quote Originally Posted by raider007 View Post
    This will keep getting worst. Now that they are under curse they will do anything for more traffic which is more money.
    HAHA YES! OUR PLAN IS PERFECT! Or you're dumb.

The only reason we have D3 news from times to times is because CMs went completely silent on WoW, I can either post completely useless WoW stuff, or use D3 as a filler with semi interesting stuff. I go with the 2nd choice.

Blizzard isn't even commenting nerfs of the FIrelands raid or huge changes to the legendary staff, there's just nothing. Like, batshit nothing.

So is this a bad idea then?

yeah, i did notice today was an extremly quiet day for blizzard/blues. this week so far has been overly quiet in general, but today especially. only 2 blue posts on the US forums. to the point i actually thought about making a thread asking if blizzard offices were nuked or something.

mmo-champ is one of the websites i look at multiple times a day, either to read stuff on the forums, or see what news has been posted lately. i dont mind the D3 news that much, but im not overly interested in it either. yeah i plan to buy D3 the milisecond its out, but its just not something i need to see news on at a regular pace.

---------- Post added 2011-09-08 at 06:45 AM ----------

guess i could say im more for the idea, like blog styled news with each section having its own category/tag, and when you have a user account logged in you have the option to filter out some of those categories/tags. however, im still 100% fine with how the site is setup and running now. long as there are no more spams like that damn star wars one that filled up half the middle of the page each time u loaded up any main page on the curse network, and then would pop up on each reload or page change. god that was annoying.

My prayers have been answered. I love MMO! Thanks for going through all the effort...but it'll be worth it!