"Story" & "Explorable" dungeons; Have your cake & eat it too?

Recently, WoW has run into quite the pickle over providing raiding content that can both be experienced by everyone AND provide challenges to the most skilled players. LFR is supposedly the answer to this, but it is unknown whether merely tuning down difficulty is really hitting the right "spot" for those who don't currently raid, but want to experience new content.

The GW2 developers seek to answer this conundrum by having "story" & "explorable" mode for their dungeons. Read more here: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...-the-dungeons/

In essence, you first go through "story" mode, which is designed to introduce you to major characters and lore; primarily plot driven with combat to spice things up. Then there are three "explorable" modes, each with different challenges that are unlocked after completing "story" mode. The "explorable" modes continue where "story" mode leaves off. Meaning that you aren't just running through the same thing with 20% more ouchies, but the events that transpire during "story" mode lead to the challenges in "explorable" mode. Also, there are "bonus" events that can be triggered by player actions, location, and chance.

What do you guys think? Will this make the instanced PvE experience consumable by all walks of players? Or will "story" mode be chucked by the wayside as "not content" and the old skill-gap debate will rear it's ugly head?

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    Recently, WoW has run into quite the pickle over providing raiding content that can both be experienced by everyone AND provide challenges to the most skilled players. LFR is supposedly the answer to this, but it is unknown whether merely tuning down difficulty is really hitting the right "spot" for those who don't currently raid, but want to experience new content.

The GW2 developers seek to answer this conundrum by having "story" & "explorable" mode for their dungeons. Read more here: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...-the-dungeons/

In essence, you first go through "story" mode, which is designed to introduce you to major characters and lore; primarily plot driven with combat to spice things up. Then there are three "explorable" modes, each with different challenges that are unlocked after completing "story" mode. The "explorable" modes continue where "story" mode leaves off. Meaning that you aren't just running through the same thing with 20% more ouchies, but the events that transpire during "story" mode lead to the challenges in "explorable" mode. Also, there are "bonus" events that can be triggered by player actions, location, and chance.

What do you guys think? Will this make the instanced PvE experience consumable by all walks of players? Or will "story" mode be chucked by the wayside as "not content" and the old skill-gap debate will rear it's ugly head?
    I could say a lot, but it can all be summarized with one phrase.

I will have my cake and eat it to.

I like the concept in theory, I'm just not certain how it will end up in practice. The playerbase will be ultimate decider on this, and since there isn't a playerbase to analyze, it's tough to say how it will pan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck the cake I want pie.

But I believe this will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeh I think it will work as well, though it does kind of sound like glorified raid dificulties with a few more things thrown into the mix. Sounds like it will provide a lot of longevity in content.