Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Priest's T13 Significance or Meaning

Been browsing around and there's a lot of people questioning the meaning of the expressionless mask.

I believe that in context to the shape/style of the helmet, that the priest T13 is supposed to emulate the discovery of Benedictus as a villain, the fact that he was hiding behind a mask for so long.

Thoughts/comments?

I think this is the principle theory.

The crying could symbolize the sorrow of betrayal, perhaps signifying that Benedictus was corrupted unwillingly and there is still a spark of his humanity left?

I think it's a set that shows light and dark together.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's one of the coolest looking sets ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm just really glad that its our first Cata tier set that has nothing to do with a toilet bowl in its design. I do think that it is the best one by far for priests too.

I thought it showed that Twilight Cultists members are anonymous. They could be anyone. Your neighbor, your best friend, your banker, or maybe the Archbishop of one of the biggest organized religions on Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima View Post
    Been browsing around and there's a lot of people questioning the meaning of the expressionless mask.

I believe that in context to the shape/style of the helmet, that the priest T13 is supposed to emulate the discovery of Benedictus as a villain, the fact that he was hiding behind a mask for so long.

Thoughts/comments?
    I have not seen the mask you speak of but I don't think it has some deep reference to it other than looks maybe. I am also certain Blizz doesn't want people to see priests as evil. I feel like Blizz is trying to show the the less "heavenly" image of Priests. As I said in another thread this set feels like a discipline or shadow priest. It invokes a bit of fear and aw, the same feeling say a normal citizen might feel if they saw this kind of a priest in real life. This set will work especially well for shadow simply because Blizz didn't give them eye glow and their face will just blend is with the shadow effect rather nicely. That's my opinion.

Far simpler explanation. It's meant to resemble the bishop in a game of chess. Medieval and statuesque. Don't read too much into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's in my opinion one of the best sets ever made. it sits with the warlock t5 is epicosity
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Accaris View Post
    Far simpler explanation. It's meant to resemble the bishop in a game of chess. Medieval and statuesque. Don't read too much into it.
    Where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    I think this is the principle theory.

The crying could symbolize the sorrow of betrayal, perhaps signifying that Benedictus was corrupted unwillingly and there is still a spark of his humanity left?
    Let's hope not. I'm still annoyed that they gave Arthas a semi redemption story even tho they promised there would be none for him. Need some real truelly evil bad guys. Not even Deathchin is truly evil, just corrupted. Hell, even Sargeras was corrupted good guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Deleted
    There are just so many ways you can look at it, even if Blizz's designers didn't have any of that in mind when they made this. If it's all a mistake, well, it's the best looking mistake I've ever seen!

To me, it looks like there could be a 'betrayal' theme, with the crying masks - Benedictus, or just a general one of guilt/betrayal/judgement, for the priests themselves or those who they see as having forsaken the light (since the name of the set is likely to be 'Dying Light'). There's a slight sense that the priest wearing it could, themselves, be turning away from the light - to the shadow, or whatever else - which adds like an 'inner conflict' idea, which to me matches the look of the set as well as the name. I like the 'leper king' vibe too, like the mask could be there to hide something shameful (which ties into the other ideas), or to make the priest appear emotionless/invulnerable, which would aid him in the cause he's fighting for. With the whole 'bishop' look, but the jester-like colour scheme/design, it also looks like a marriage somewhat of the ridiculous and the sublime, which I'm digging.

That could all just be a load of pretentious drivel which isn't really there, and the folks at Blizz just wanted something that looked like the V for Vendetta mask because they think that film was, like, totally great man. But all that is what I see when I look at the set personally, and I think it's great.
    Last edited by mmoc4b486bea9f; 2011-09-28 at 03:27 AM.

This set rivals T6 in terms of being one of the best designs for a priest Tier set ever.

I really hope the blue and silver color comes with Raid finder or I will have to find another raiding guild :/
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Significance or Meaning people. Not how much you love/hate it. For that, here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...3-finally-here!
    It is kinda confusing where the inspiration came from. It could be that benedictus did not want to betray us? But corruption slowly started controlling his body and his will is not strong enough meaning the crying is him trying to break free but failing.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It is kinda confusing where the inspiration came from. It could be that benedictus did not want to betray us? But corruption slowly started controlling his body and his will is not strong enough meaning the crying is him trying to break free but failing.
    So... did you read my first post and decide to reword it... or... =P

So... did you read my first post and decide to reword it... or... =P
    No I mean im agreeing with you

also I misread what you meant

>.>
    <.<

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it what just happened....
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

10+ Year Old Account
    Darkmoon Faire I think. It's dark/serious, but vivid colored, reminds me of the Darkmoon Faire, anyone else agree? :S

This is most likely inspired by Ancient Greek theater where the actors used to wear full-face masks like this one while they were acting. The masks had an expression carved on them which usually had to do with the pretended character's personality. Though those masks were made out of clay and the priest T13 is cloth(?), i cant really find any other reference.

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin