Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who owns EVERY teir set (minus T3), and the pvp sets...this is bar-none the best looking set. I think this actually rivals paladin judgement set. And to me, that's saying something.

As for the meaning, I am inclined to agree with the Benedictus story. I admit I am loathe to again watch some random npc get fame for redemption, but it's blizzard. I also think there is meaning artistically. For several teirs, they seem to have kept trying to get flashier and flashier. In this final teir, They seem to have taken a less flamboyant but still powerful approach to it, and it works well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like the design on this. It reminds me of Phyrexia, from Magic: The Gathering.
    The meaning could be (apart from the Benedictus story) is that Priests are finally seeing the full extent of the horror from the Shattering and realize their is nothing they can do. Against an undead menace Priests are valuable allies, but when the world itself churns and erupts there's nothing a priest can do. Okay, that might be a better explanation if this was the first set of Cataclysm.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I like the way you think Ynna! Except yeah, if only this was the first set!
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I think people overestimate blizzard...

Most likely, they saw a google image of a similar mask and thought, "hey, we could recolour that and turn it into a priest set! Add some pretty colours and keep the mask evilish satisfies healering and shadow specs".

It's like paintings, some people just paint what they think looks good. Then they let critics make up deep meanings about what it could possibly be interpreted as and go along with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I like the way you think Ynna! Except yeah, if only this was the first set!
    I could probably come up with a similar explanation that would fit the third patch. Just mentioning the confrontation with Deadwing might be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHealsForYou View Post

Most likely, they saw a google image of a similar mask and thought, "hey, we could recolour that and turn it into a priest set! Add some pretty colours and keep the mask evilish satisfies healering and shadow specs".

It's like paintings, some people just paint what they think looks good. Then they let critics make up deep meanings about what it could possibly be interpreted as and go along with it.
    Death of the Author
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    @Ynna gz on the 1K posts :3

Quote Originally Posted by NoHealsForYou View Post

Let us have our fun. Meanie.

As for me, my first thought was Uldum based, I mean if Druids could be based on Zangermarsh (yes they have Wild Mushrooms, but they're not blue and glowy), then why not Uldum for Priests, since the desert is where religions are born (yay Terry Pratchett :P). But Ynna's thoughts on the matter are much more interesting and/or valid.

I just cannot believe the day after I decide to cancel my subscription for rest and relaxation purposes for a few months this beautiful set is released -_-#. And all the new companion pets and mounts. And all the raid/dungeon info. Stupid willpower, I wanted at least a week before having a huge test to it.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

I think it's fucking awesome. Those faces remind me from Bayonetta/ Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

This is WoW. Deep meanings are just crap that the player comes up with. They probably saw a picture somewhere and said, oh that looks cool, lets make it into a tier piece!

yeah.. no..

I'm just happy that we finally got the best looking set, in the history of WoW.
    Thank you blizz.

They remind me of mimes I miss my T6

10+ Year Old Account
    Set looks amazing. Right up there with pally t2. Pallys and priests lucked out this tier.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post
    This is WoW. Deep meanings are just crap that the player comes up with. They probably saw a picture somewhere and said, oh that looks cool, lets make it into a tier piece!

yeah.. no..
    Let me just post this again: Death of the Author. This is something I loath in most WoW-players, they just focus on things that are efficient and all the rest is just fluff. It doesn't matter that Blizzard didn't mean somethings with the Tier sets, but that doesn't mean that people can't find their own meaning in it. For me, facing the devastation of Azeroth and the final confrontation against Deathwing is enough to make any sane mind break. Priests are hit harder by this, since they are unable to mend to wounds of the world and are unable to comfort the survivors. Before the Shattering Azeroth and its inhabitants have shown flexible and valiant in times of danger, but when the earth itself turns against you all hope seems lost. At times like this, faith, be it in the Light, the Voodoo, Elune or something else, seems not enough. The mask is crying, not for Priests themselves, but for all the inhabitants of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    @Ynna gz on the 1K posts :3

Let us have our fun. Meanie.

As for me, my first thought was Uldum based, I mean if Druids could be based on Zangermarsh (yes they have Wild Mushrooms, but they're not blue and glowy), then why not Uldum for Priests, since the desert is where religions are born (yay Terry Pratchett :P). But Ynna's thoughts on the matter are much more interesting and/or valid.

I just cannot believe the day after I decide to cancel my subscription for rest and relaxation purposes for a few months this beautiful set is released -_-#. And all the new companion pets and mounts. And all the raid/dungeon info. Stupid willpower, I wanted at least a week before having a huge test to it.
    Thank you.

I, too, feel bad that I'll probably will not wear this tier. Stupid that I decided WoW would be too expensive right before my guilds Ragnaros kill and the announcement of 4.3 with Holy buffs and this tier set.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

This has got to be the most abstract and high school poetry analysis of Tier Gear ever.

See I think it represents the anonymity that the game provides since we are playing it over the internet with people we dont know which is an allegory for the faceless people who have come forth as victims of the several church scandals. This mirrors the scandalous nature of formal government and means that the game is run by NAZIS!!!

Ok kidding.... I just like the Tier its one of our more uniques. Now to see it on a female avatar to decide if I want to race change (again) or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Let me just post this again: Death of the Author. This is something I loath in most WoW-players, they just focus on things that are efficient and all the rest is just fluff. It doesn't matter that Blizzard didn't mean somethings with the Tier sets, but that doesn't mean that people can't find their own meaning in it.
    ...and I happen to loath people who come up with silly, overcomplicated and deep meanings for things which simply weren't intended. They just focus on generating some far-fetched, emotional and powerful statement of meaning about something even as simple as a green line of paint on a piece of paper to justify its existance beyond what the artist intended - a cool looking line on a piece of paper.

People are entitled to reflect on what the tier set means to them, and I'm entitled to suggest that I feel there's zero significance behind it beyond simply looking cool.

Edit: I took another look. I believe that, if recoloured, the fundamental aspect of the set could be made to suit practically any other class of this expansion. Thus, furthering my belief that there's no deep 'priestly' meaning behind it. However, people are entitled to believe what they like.
    Last edited by NoHealsForYou; 2011-09-28 at 02:59 PM.

I hope that Blizzard will make a blue post with some snippets explaining their motivations on this set as they did with other class sets previously for t13.

The amount of post-modernism in this thread is astounding. "There is no meaning. There only is." To each their own, but I find solace with people who have imaginations in regards to a fantasy game.

Also, there is a measurable difference between a green line on a white canvas and someone saying how it "represents the long struggle of the Burmese farmer in the 14th century b/c blah blah blah" and someone looking at a crying mask and connecting it to the story arch of Benedictus.

For more information, check out the field of Semiotics.

Priest T13 gives me a "Baroque" feeling .... like if would require the player to be listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons in order to equip the tier .

No Face:

Meanwhile, the masked spirit Sen allowed into the bathhouse reveals himself as a monster called "No Face." No Face, who swallows one of the servants in order to speak, offers gold to the staff in exchange for large quantities of food. No Face continues to eat, causing it to grow to immense size, eventually swallowing several other employees. Later, Sen feeds No Face the remainder of the dumpling, causing him to regurgitate everything and everyone out. No Face, restored to his prior inoffensive form, also accompanies Sen to Zeniba's house.

And when he's full

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirited_Away

We're just food guzzling bafoons.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    In this instance, however, the design asked for a bold, two-tone, ‘Venetian carnival style with creepy, soulless black eyes,’ which gave me a powerful, potentially edgy direction to explore. The set’s ‘Dying Light’ theme was visualized as a spiked, setting sun motif.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3615096/Priest_Tier_13_and_Visual_Retrospective-9_28_2011#blog