Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Random Heroics Dungeons merged in 4.3

Seems like the prayers are heard. After taking a peek in the PTR this morning, a random heroic cataclysm dungeon now gives 150 valor points, and include all cataclysm dungeons + zandalari dungeons + twilight dungeons.

Queuing for a Twilight Dungeon Random also gives you 150 valor points.
    Edit to clarify: So yes, you CAN specificaly queue for a random "new" twilight dungeon

So, this patch will not be about grinding the same 3 dungeons till you get sick of 'em
    Last edited by Alyngwen; 2011-09-28 at 09:14 AM.
    "MMMMMMMButtscratcher!"

good to hear lol. cant wait until i can go on ptr in eu

Well, the valor points don't really matter as much anymore. Mostly due to Blizzard stating all tier will be from the raid itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I approve of this. I was actually running two non-zandalaries for my vp cap for a while, the instances are much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Isolated View Post
    Well, the valor points don't really matter as much anymore. Mostly due to Blizzard stating all tier will be from the raid itself.
    Tier gear isn't the only thing you get from valor you know.

I'm not sure I approve.

I'm a cat with 373 gear half is PvP. I use the same gear in Bear I have around 155k hp and a tonne of agility. I think that's fine for tanking normal heroics in but i'm not keen on trying it in ZG/ZA since the only thing making me a tank are these 5 talent points. There's no reforge or correct meta, etc. To be honest I only tank to get the goody bag but i'm sure a lot of other people do the same and now may be put off joining thus lowering tank numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    I'm not sure I approve.

I'm a cat with 373 gear half is PvP. I use the same gear in Bear I have around 155k hp and a tonne of agility. I think that's fine for tanking normal heroics in but i'm not keen on trying it in ZG/ZA since the only thing making me a tank are these 5 talent points. There's no reforge or correct meta, etc. To be honest I only tank to get the goody bag but i'm sure a lot of other people do the same and now may be put off joining thus lowering tank numbers.
    Sorry to sound like an ass but I really hate it when people like you queue. I realise tanks don't sign up for dungeons and more of them need to, but half assing it in pvp gear instead of dedicated tank gear usually doesn't help the situation. You could easily do your normal heroics as you do and get actual functional pve gear, or maybe your pvp gear is fine for tanking ZA/ZG I don't know.

Point is, it might be good they're put off joining if they aren't a dedicated tank. I certainly farmed up real tank gear so as not to be a burden, everyone else can easily do the same if they want to tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoftuna View Post
    Sorry to sound like an ass but I really hate it when people like you queue. I realise tanks don't sign up for dungeons and more of them need to, but half assing it in pvp gear instead of dedicated tank gear usually doesn't help the situation. You could easily do your normal heroics as you do and get actual functional pve gear, or maybe your pvp gear is fine for tanking ZA/ZG I don't know.

Point is, it might be good they're put off joining if they aren't a dedicated tank. I certainly farmed up real tank gear so as not to be a burden, everyone else can easily do the same if they want to tank.
    Sorry to say, but you definitely made yourself sound like an ass there.

He's a druid, not one of the plate-wearing tanks. Aside from maybe trinkets, there is no "tank gear" for bear druids... the idea of having tank-specific leather gear was scrapped with WotLK. So, aside from being a little lacking on hit/crit/mastery, pvp gear is just fine for bear tanking... in fact, it might even be a bit preferred in certain cases, as pvp gear is generally tilted a bit towards having more stamina.

In the future, I'd suggest actually learning about a class before you criticize someone about it.

Edit: On topic, I'm glad to hear that they used an idea I saw floating around for a bit, which is to allow players to queue for either all heroic dungeons or just patch-/theme-specific dungeons, and still get the appropriate points. Putting systems in place that allow people to choose how they'd like to play (within reason?) is always a good change, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Scratches; 2011-09-28 at 08:35 AM.

Awesome! ZA and ZG are so boring after you've done each almost 40 times...
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post
    Sorry to say, but you definitely made yourself sound like an ass there.

He's a druid, not one of the plate-wearing tanks. Aside from maybe trinkets, there is no "tank gear" for bear druids... the idea of having tank-specific leather gear was scrapped with WotLK. So, aside from being a little lacking on hit/crit/mastery, pvp gear is just fine for bear tanking... in fact, it might even be a bit preferred in certain cases, as pvp gear is generally tilted a bit towards having more stamina.

In the future, I'd suggest actually learning about a class before you criticize someone about it.
    You should've read the guy he was talking to. Paraphrasing so bite me: "I put 0 effort into my tank gear, I just use whatever works in the easy dungeons;" he replied "That's really bad and makes you a burden on other players. You should try to put a real tank set together to not be a burden on other players." He even said (not paraphrasing) "maybe your pvp gear is fine for tanking ZA/ZG I don't know." Also, there is a big difference between reforging and gemming for burr vs kitty. Using PVP gear isn't the end of the world like you said, but there is a big difference.

On-topic: Greatest change of the patch. I might actually valor cap on my alts now lol.

Woohoooo!!! Seems like my wish from this thread came true!

Hopefully it's not just a PTR-only thing, though I would think that they would put the new dungeons on their own queue in the PTR so that people can test those specifically? Who knows.

OP: can you clarify a little how the new queue works? Are you able to choose which "group" of random dungeons you want to queue up for (like in this pic)?
    Last edited by Howard Moon; 2011-09-28 at 08:44 AM.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    Hopefully it's not just a PTR-only thing, though I would think that they would put the new dungeons on their own queue in the PTR so that people can test those specifically? Who knows.
    You can. There is also an option to choose "Random Twilight Dungeon".
    "MMMMMMMButtscratcher!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alyngwen View Post
    Oh awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping they would do. Thanks for the info.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Isolated View Post
    There will still be a lot of offpieces from VP.
    And 150 points is niiiice.

---------- Post added 2011-09-28 at 11:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    I'm not sure I approve.

But you are still getting points when you tank. What do you do with them?
    Gather a real tank set and everything will be fine.
    (Also, most people aren't as concious about it as you)

this is EXACTLY what i wanted to hear.

do you also get the VP from the random twilight dungeon only queue? or does it have to be the random ALL heroics queue to get VP reward?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thickasabrick31 View Post
    You should've read the guy he was talking to. Paraphrasing so bite me: "I put 0 effort into my tank gear, I just use whatever works in the easy dungeons;" he replied "That's really bad and makes you a burden on other players. You should try to put a real tank set together to not be a burden on other players." He even said (not paraphrasing) "maybe your pvp gear is fine for tanking ZA/ZG I don't know." Also, there is a big difference between reforging and gemming for burr vs kitty. Using PVP gear isn't the end of the world like you said, but there is a big difference.
    As much as this is true about the attitude, I also respect where the original "lightweight" semi-pvp-geared bear was coming from - the little effort he needed to put into gearing to be able to tank the 346 heroics was more than sufficient, and he has concerns about being over his head once all the heroics queue together: clearly he cares about the gear issue and doesn't want to be a "burden on other players".

To him, I say, don't worry. You're a bear. If it has agi on it and is anywhere near the right ilevel range for the heroic you're tanking, it'll do just fine. Sure, it may not be optimal.

To all who give a hoot about this subthread, the truth is that a bear spec'd, fully cat geared (including dps reforges and enchants) will do fine tanking any non-hard-mode content in this game... and a cat-focused pvp geared with crafted (i358) bear will do more than fine tanking the Z's; in fact will probably take less damage overall and more than hold aggro than your typical pve-geared DK.

This isn't to say that bears should just get pvp gear, but of any of the tanking classes, bears can handle the drawbacks of pvp gear the best, and when I heal Z's and see a non-bear tank in even a few blues I think to myself "this could get interesting" while a bear in full 346 pve blues, or 346 pve blues plus some 358 crafted pvp is no worry at all.
    Last edited by tyggyr; 2011-09-28 at 08:56 AM.

Seems like the prayers are heard. After taking a peek in the PTR this morning, a random heroic cataclysm dungeon now gives 150 valor points, and include all cataclysm dungeons + zandalari dungeons + twilight dungeons.

So, this patch will not be about grinding the same 3 dungeons till you get sick of 'em
    I seriously hope you can also randomly queue for the twilight seperatly.
    When 4.3 launches i don't want to queue for dungeons to see the new twilight stuff and then end up with LCotTV
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    this is EXACTLY what i wanted to hear.

do you also get the VP from the random twilight dungeon only queue? or does it have to be the random ALL heroics queue to get VP reward?
    Judging by OP, yes it does.
    Though it may force you to run like some "all dungeons" and some twilight with halfway caps.
    (Nobody said that anything like that is happening, just a theory based on how there are halfway caps now)
    Last edited by Weerra; 2011-09-28 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Judging by OP, yes it does.
    Though it may force you to run like some "all dungeons" and some twilight with halfway caps.
    (Nobody said that anything like that is happening, just a theory based on how there are halfway caps now)
    The halfway caps now are not based on valor points, but on the fact that you can do maximum 7 a week. So, 7x70 caps 490 and 7x140 caps 980.

The valor rewards are now 150 for both random "all" dungeons and random twilight dungeons, so halfway caps would not make sense.

Have not gotten the time to confirm this though, not at home!
    "MMMMMMMButtscratcher!"

Deleted

Would be nice to random the new dungeons though.
    However, it's a fair change, cant keep those zandalaris up there forever.And you can leave them, take your sickness and get dungeon of choice and same valor points.
    Wonder who will run those after patch then?=)