Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    At this point, SWTOR has probably more launch content than any other MMO that I can think of. That's what you need to become very successful at the start. If they can keep updating the game regularly, the game will be very successful in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    At this point, SWTOR has probably more launch content than any other MMO that I can think of. That's what you need to become very successful at the start. If they can keep updating the game regularly, the game will be very successful in the long run.
    To date so far it does. WoW had 14 dungeons and no raids at launch, Rift had 10 dungeons and 1 raid, and SWTOR will have 15 dungeons and 2 raids. I think they should do well in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    To date so far it does. WoW had 14 dungeons and no raids at launch, Rift had 10 dungeons and 1 raid, and SWTOR will have 15 dungeons and 2 raids. I think they should do well in the long run.
    Didn't WoW launch with Molten Core (And onyxias lair, but that's just one boss)?

Deleted
    Why are you trying to compare a game in 2011 to a game in its release state 7 years ago? SWTOR has to compete with a game in its CURRENT form, not to how it was years ago. Please, think before you type. It might sound good in theory but once you try to apply it in practice, your theory falls apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    At this point, before WoW's release I had read articles and watched videos of it's beta for near a year. How are we (fence-sitters) to believe the hype when 2 months before release, we know next to nothing about the actual gameplay?

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Quote Originally Posted by RetributionPaladin View Post
    It will make the industry pull its socks up like never before, I think for once Blizzard will go back to their roots and sink or swim out of their current complacency. But if it fails, I think there will be a huge depression in the market, investors will become extremely skeptical, developers all round will lose morale.

"If all that money just makes a flash in the pan, what are we supposed to do?"
    I'm saving my judgement until after I see it on the market. I made the mistake of jumping ship twice now to new MMOs, and both times I was let down severely. Both times they were big time companies, and they still couldn't hold their own against Blizzard. If in fact it does make a name for itself I may give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    Didn't WoW launch with Molten Core (And onyxias lair, but that's just one boss)?
    edited: That is correct MC and Ony were in at launch.
    Last edited by Hobb; 2011-10-26 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    WoW launched with Molten Core and Onyxia's Lair on 40 man raids and UBRS, Scholomance and Stratholme as 10/15 man raids.

The difference is you couldn't access the 40mans without completeing attunement quest lines.

I don't remember the exact number of dungeons but I can remember Dire Maul and Maruadon being patched in when I look at the Classic Dungeon Master list. The PvE content released with Warcraft was quite high probably similar number to what SWTOR will release with it didn't release with Battle Grounds though.

edit - Checked up it was 14 dungeons
    Last edited by Kyira; 2011-10-26 at 01:18 PM.

Lightning. It flashes bright, then... fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys

Here is my take, that will most likely get burried in this thread

SW:ToR will be successful. I was leary of it, but when I got into the Beta I was shocked at how good it was and it was a few builds old I assume. No it is not ground breaking, but it is refreshing.

It will not kill WoW, unless you think that WoW going even more casual is Killing WoW. I do think 1 Millionish pre-orders is a great start. and having played all the other new MMOs, this one seems way ahead of the others with finish and polish. The IP will also attract more

While I anticipate that I will spend most of my time in ToR, I will not cancel WoW. In fact I just did the 1 year thing. Why? Until next expac, I will log on to raid and log off. There isn't a ton of toon development needed in WoW until MoP. When MoP comes out, I assume ToR will be mid stream, so I can switch back to level to 90.

There is room for both MMOs and I think you will have a lot of people that will do both. The only thing that will kill WoW, is Blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    You were not seeing clearly when you wrote this post This game is beyond what any MMO offers.
    It will make me more appealing with the ladies??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post

SW:ToR will be successful. I was leary of it, but when I got into the Beta I was shocked at how good it was and it was a few builds old I assume. No it is not ground breaking, but it is refreshing.

It will not kill WoW, unless you think that WoW going even more casual is Killing WoW. I do think 1 Millionish pre-orders is a great start. and having played all the other new MMOs, this one seems way ahead of the others with finish and polish. The IP will also attract more

While I anticipate that I will spend most of my time in ToR, I will not cancel WoW. In fact I just did the 1 year thing. Why? Until next expac, I will log on to raid and log off. There isn't a ton of toon development needed in WoW until MoP. When MoP comes out, I assume ToR will be mid stream, so I can switch back to level to 90.

There is room for both MMOs and I think you will have a lot of people that will do both. The only thing that will kill WoW, is Blizzard.
    Pretty much what this chap wrote up here i,m of the same mind too i,m not leaving wow i,ve signed up to the year contract infact as well .i,ve intentions of playing both and looking forward to sw.tor because its star wars .And as others have said compition is good it,ll make others bring out the stuff they hadnt bothered coz they,ve been drip feeding it to us instead coz they know we wouldnt go anywhere.
    Faith Manages

Good writeup, and totally true.

I think a large number of folks will go this route also, the 1 year sub is a good deal, especially if you're going to be playing Diablo 3 . The raiding in WoW is good, I hope TOR's raiding will be or can evolve to the point of being just as good. WoWs only draw is end game, and with raid finder and other things to keep folks busy there is a good amount to do.

I envy folks who have the time to play multiple MMOs and then possibly a FPS/Diablo3/console on the side.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RatFanatic View Post
    Ya... that's why I asked if Bioware will tell us.
    Sorry, my mistake, thought you might like some data about pre-orders rather than none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    I envy folks who have the time to play multiple MMOs and then possibly a FPS/Diablo3/console on the side.
    It really isn't a huge time sink. I only raid 2 nights a week (Wed and Sat). I really don't log on to WoW on any other days anymore. I also play FPS (BF3 is really good), and that is the type of game you can turn on, and play a match or 2 and log off. Besides that I usually have one other game on the side for weekend playing. Just finished Rage, so went out and got R3 for the SP. Nov 11th- Dec 20th will be Skyrim. Starting Dec 20th (or whenever early access starts), it will be pretty much ToR.

It is all about maximizing gaming time when you have it. I will not AFK in Org, or grind troll heroics.

It really isn't a huge time sink. I only raid 2 nights a week (Wed and Sat). I really don't log on to WoW on any other days anymore. I also play FPS (BF3 is really good), and that is the type of game you can turn on, and play a match or 2 and log off. Besides that I usually have one other game on the side for weekend playing. Just finished Rage, so went out and got R3 for the SP. Nov 11th- Dec 20th will be Skyrim. Starting Dec 20th (or whenever early access starts), it will be pretty much ToR.

It is all about maximizing gaming time when you have it. I will not AFK in Org, or grind troll heroics.
    I understand, and wasn't claiming you to be a no-lifer or anything of the sort. Its more of a looking back to the times when I actually played multiple MMOs and kept up with console gaming, life has changed so much since then and playing 1 full time MMO is all i can do. WoW once max level for ~ 1 week all you need to do is raid which is maybe what 5-6 hours a week now?

Kind of funny the general consensus of a large number of WoW players is "I only log on for raids", which i can agree with, leveling in WoW is a joke now and i already had 10 80s of each class in WoTLK.

Hopefully BW picks up on this.......leveling in TOR is amazing, but well designed Raid encounters keep people logging in, long long after they have become disenchanted with leveling alts.

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    eveling in TOR is amazing, but well designed Raid encounters keep people logging in, long long after they have become disenchanted with leveling alts.
    This is so true. Good raiding not only brings you online, but brings you and a group of friends together. I have been in the same 10 man group since Naxx, most of the time I log on not really for the "raiding" but to hang out with them. If I wasn't playing with those folks, I probably would have dropped WoW raiding, it is kinda stale.

If ToR can create a good first Tier and lock some groups in, I think they have staying power
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by RetributionPaladin View Post
    It will make the industry pull its socks up like never before, I think for once Blizzard will go back to their roots and sink or swim out of their current complacency. But if it fails, I think there will be a huge depression in the market, investors will become extremely skeptical, developers all round will lose morale.

"If all that money just makes a flash in the pan, what are we supposed to do?"
    Well, if swtor is successful then I will be surprised. I just can't see how just a story driven gameplay and some minor features can be much of a game changer in these days and I think Blizzard is already swiming out of their current complacency. The new expansion is the sign that Blizzard is walking away from the same ol same ol.

Now if the two next upcoming MMOs, swtor and GW2 fails, then I don't know what will happen. It will show that the market don't want anything too different from wow like guild wars neither something like wow, they just wnat wow

Quote Originally Posted by Papavoikos View Post
    Well, if swtor is successful then I will be surprised. I just can't see how just a story driven gameplay and some minor features can be much of a game changer in these days and I think Blizzard is already swiming out of their current complacency. The new expansion is the sign that Blizzard is walking away from the same ol same ol.Now if the two next upcoming MMOs, swtor and GW2 fails, then I don't know what will happen. It will show that the market don't want anything too different from wow like guild wars neither something like wow, they just wnat wow
    Except that Blizzard stole this newer way of thinking from the newer games out and coming out....

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if swtor is successful then I will be surprised. I just can't see how just a story driven gameplay and some minor features can be much of a game changer in these days and I think Blizzard is already swiming out of their current complacency. The new expansion is the sign that Blizzard is walking away from the same ol same ol.

Now if the two next upcoming MMOs, swtor and GW2 fails, then I don't know what will happen. It will show that the market don't want anything too different from wow like guild wars neither something like wow, they just wnat wow
    To be fair, MMOs have never truly focused on story before. It's been an afterthought. Story based games are Bioware's specialty, and they sell extremely well. I think you will will be VERY surprised at what it adds to the game.

As far as WoW... We can only hope that they revitalize the game and make awesome changes. But don't think for a second they though of these ideas all of a sudden. They are staples of the newer MMO games. And that's ok. I hope they work well for them and we have more competition.

I believe if both games fail, we're going to be in trouble. MMOs will not be like WoW, because it's been attempted too many times with less than stellar results. Regardless of WoW's toted sub numbers, they are fake. Sorry, but the sub count is so screwy that it can't be relied upon. If they released ONLY western market numbers, it would be a different story. But adding the eastern numbers into it makes it inflate to reduculous proportions with their game cards and strange tracking. Logging into WoW is depressing now. It's SO dead compared to the old days. No, if these games fail, you're goingto see more social Facebook type games take stabs at the market.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-28 at 03:14 PM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

The new expansion is the sign that Blizzard is walking away from the same ol same ol.
    I have to comment on this too. The new expansion is a sign that competition is coming and they need to copy as much from these other games as possible in order to retain subscribers.

A new x-pac won't change the fact that 50% of the current servers could all be combined due to low population issues, and that the game will STILL revolve around factions queuing up from whatever major hub they are designated to.

They won't combine servers though, because they don't have to. They have turned each player's community into their guild and the random people from other servers who show up when queueing for everything.

I will always keep my WoW account, have great memories in the game and may revisit it in the future with my wife (who loves Pandas). But saying that the game is evolving for the better might be a matter of what a person thinks is better.