Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ...
20
28
29
30
31
32
... LastLast
  1. #581
    BW will pretty much pay half of what they spent just from pre-orders, I don't think anyone expected this many pre-orders. They pretty much just need to keep 1 million subs for a year to pay off the rest.

  2. #582
    If you still don't think it will succeed then go look at reviews. They opened the NDA somewhat for ign and other gaming experts to give their opinion. They have already given a decent amount of positive stuff with some negatives that aren't that big. Only the future will tell, but with blizz xpac and players that have played wow for 6+ years like me are extremely excited to try this game out. I'm not gonna try to say the game will fail, only time will tell, but the reviews already says it's not just wow in space.

  3. #583
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,445
    I really don't see how this game wouldn't be successful.

    1. It has a ridiculously powerful license that can easily draw non- MMO gamers into getting it and playing it. Its almost a gaurentee that its going to sell over a million copies in its first month, partially because of the license by itself.
    2. Bioware has a pretty strong record as a quality developer, and their last SW RPG KotoR is considered one of the best RPGs ever made.
    3. The game's budget is massive, corners won't be cut, and support should be ongoing throughout the game's cycle.
    4. Many in the MMO community at large are looking for a sci-fi MMO similar to WoW.
    5. Many WoW players are tired or done with WoW and looking for something else. You can see this by the number of WoW guilds moving over to SWTOR.
    6. There are no other major MMOs on the horizon. FF XIV 2.0 and WoW: MoP are over a year away. SWTOR has a pretty big window to get marketshare.


    People thinking this game is going to go the way of Star Trek Online, or Rift, or DCU are fooling themselves.

  4. #584
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I really don't see how this game wouldn't be successful.

    1. It has a ridiculously powerful license that can easily draw non- MMO gamers into getting it and playing it. Its almost a gaurentee that its going to sell over a million copies in its first month, partially because of the license by itself.
    2. Bioware has a pretty strong record as a quality developer, and their last SW RPG KotoR is considered one of the best RPGs ever made.
    3. The game's budget is massive, corners won't be cut, and support should be ongoing throughout the game's cycle.
    4. Many in the MMO community at large are looking for a sci-fi MMO similar to WoW.
    5. Many WoW players are tired or done with WoW and looking for something else. You can see this by the number of WoW guilds moving over to SWTOR.
    6. There are no other major MMOs on the horizon. FF XIV 2.0 and WoW: MoP are over a year away. SWTOR has a pretty big window to get marketshare.


    People thinking this game is going to go the way of Star Trek Online, or Rift, or DCU are fooling themselves.
    I disagree with this point (agree with everything else though). Swtor will have to compete against 4.3 from WoW, and the GW2 beta. As for FFXIV...isn't that game long gone? They would pretty much have to start over if they wanted to make a good game.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

  5. #585
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatian View Post
    As for FFXIV...isn't that game long gone? They would pretty much have to start over if they wanted to make a good game.
    Which is exactly what they're doing.
    Last edited by Blznsmri; 2011-11-04 at 02:59 AM. Reason: My mind is full of fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  6. #586
    That picture is... absolutely horrifying... my dreams will not be pleasant.

  7. #587
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    That picture is... absolutely horrifying... my dreams will not be pleasant.
    I have no idea why that linked there... not what I copy/ pasted.

    That's actually Fan art for Quarians...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  8. #588
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Have you seen all the TOR fans in wow general forums lately, there isnt a day that goes by where somebody with a TOR sig is bashing on wow and blizzard in general.

    This as been my major complaint, if a wow fan comes into the TOR forums and says a bad word against the game they get infracted yet the TOR guys are free to do as they please.
    That's not our fault that the mods in the WoW forums aren't doing what they signed up to do. Also just because there has been bashing from the TOR side against WoW in the general forums doesn't really make it right for the WoW fans to come to this forum and do the same.

  9. #589
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Have you seen all the TOR fans in wow general forums lately, there isnt a day that goes by where somebody with a TOR sig is bashing on wow and blizzard in general.

    This as been my major complaint, if a wow fan comes into the TOR forums and says a bad word against the game they get infracted yet the TOR guys are free to do as they please.
    Actually, those people that are bashing WoW and Blizzard are all WoW players/former WoW players who hate what the game has become. No one is a SWTOR player yet, since the game isn't released. It's not as though the people bashing WoW are just random folks who don't plan to play it. They have played it, likely for years. Those who troll here most likely don't plan to try SWTOR at all.

    You might ask me what the difference is. Does one have a right to troll, and the other doesn't?

    I don't have an answer. Being a WoW player, I'm generally unhappy with the game. The only reason it's back on my HD is that I just need SOMETHING to do, until Dec 20th. When I come to these forums, I often vocalize my displeasure when it's relevant in a discussion, though I don't start up posts as to why I'm unhappy with WoW.

    The people bashing SWTOR just want it to fail, and yet they haven't actually played the game. I do think there's a point where you have more right to bitch about something if you've been playing it, than if you just don't like Star Wars. I also think there's a point where people who are displeased with whatever game, should take to their complaining in moderation, with a logical standpoint. Unlike: "LOL UR GAME WILL FAIL LIKE RIFT AND AION LULZ!!!1oneone1!!"

    It's been pointed out that Blizzard seems nervous about the upcoming releases. D3 for free? There are tons of people, WoW players and non-WoW players alike, who are going to buy D3 regardless. Tyrael's charger? People would EASILY buy this for $25 on the Blizz store. It does seem like a desperate (and intelligent) move. While I don't think pointing this out is necessarily flaming Blizzard and WoW, it's often the way people point it out, that ends up infuriating WoW fans. I, for one, am against all of this WoW-killer talk. Truth be told, no other game is going to rise up and crush WoW into oblivion, even if it gains more subs. Many would even go so far as to say that Blizzard is killing WoW itself, with the way the game is going.

    I, personally, just want to hit stuff in the face with a goddamn lightsaber.
    Formerly known here as Nakaya_Kilrogg.
    I don't play Nak anymore, I'm not on Kilrogg, and
    I haven't played WoW seriously since the end of LK.

  10. #590
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,445
    Gabe from Penny Arcade regarding his recent hands-on with TOR:

    “In the short time I’ve been playing SW:TOR I have already given more thought to my character than I ever did in all the years I played WOW. I’ve had to make hard choices with my Bounty Hunter that have made me honestly think about who he is and what he’s like. At first I intended to play him as a real ***hole but some of the moral quagmires these quests put you in just aren’t that black and white. Do I do what gets me the most credits? Do I stay loyal to the person who gave me the job even it means hurting Innocent people? As a result of all this I have a character that is a hard ass bounty hunter who has a soft spot for people in trouble and children. The only thing I could tell you about my WOW character Dudefella is that he was a mage and a hell of a good dancer.”
    And that's why the game will be successful.

  11. #591
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    And that's why the game will be successful.
    Imagine having all of that, plus raids, plus dungeons, plus epeen pvp shit, plus everything else MMOs of this day and age have. I would also agree, that's why it's going to be awesome. You don't just get to have one or the other, story or good MMO qualities. You get both.
    Formerly known here as Nakaya_Kilrogg.
    I don't play Nak anymore, I'm not on Kilrogg, and
    I haven't played WoW seriously since the end of LK.

  12. #592
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    If it is i might switch also. But i dont like what i saw so far on the beta videos.

    I am looking for a new game for some time now infact i even tried Aion and was hoping it will work out. But just dont have much faith on Bioware not because its a bad company but simply because they got no experience.

    And you only get one chance for a 1st impression if they mess it up everyone is back to WoW with 4.3 and Diablo coming up. I am not risking it until i see the game stabilise a bit and after a couple of months.
    Blizzard had no MMO experience either just saying. Also Aion might have failed as far as being a "WoW killer" is concerned, but I would in no way say that on it's own merits is a failed game.

    Also what do you base your definition of success on? I hope you do realize that MMOs do not need to bring in WoW numbers to be a success, heck most games don't even need a million subscribers, they actually in fact need about half of that, it all depends on the infrastructure of the game. I think Bioware will do just fine, they got over 500k pre-orders just in US retailers alone, which doesn't count digital sales.

    Also I disagree with your everyone will be back to WoW statement, that's already proven to be false because it doesn't happen to begin with. If everyone did go back to WoW then why is most of the "WoW killers" still operational to this day? Why did Blizzard lose a chunk of subscribers twice in a row? Why does a game like Rift have around 50 servers still?

    No not everyone does come back to WoW what happens is people get replaced by new players which this can be accomplished in many ways such as Blizzard expanding their market into other parts of the world, which is in fact what Blizzard is trying to do right now by making a native version of the game for Brazil and things like that.

    So when it comes down to it no game not even SWTOR will kill WoW like some people seem to wish, but those games that don't kill WoW are not automatic failures either, there's room for more than one game in the MMO market.

  13. #593
    The Lightbringer jvbastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Flanders
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    6. There are no other major MMOs on the horizon. FF XIV 2.0 and WoW: MoP are over a year away. SWTOR has a pretty big window to get marketshare.
    I strongly disagree with this. there's (in random order)

    The secret world
    Wildstar
    Firefall
    GW2
    Archeage
    planetside 2 (although I don't know if that's coming next year, not following it)

    All of those look more interesting than any MMO that's come out lately and will surely get a reasonable to big following.

    That said, I can't see sweater not succeed either though
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

  14. #594
    Mechagnome Ixator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    All I can say is that every single video out there does not do this game justice. Spending a couple hours playing it is the only way to really see the greatness. And of course, the game won't be for everyone. But I'm rather positive that people on the fence will be pleasantly surprised.
    This exactly.
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

  15. #595
    Dreadlord Taldred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post

    I am looking for a new game for some time now infact i even tried Aion and was hoping it will work out. But just dont have much faith on Bioware not because its a bad company but simply because they got no experience.
    Bioware have got a lot of experience, though - countless quality games can be associated with their names and I'm pretty sure they have done a hell of a lot of research into the MMORPG genre. Not to mention, when WoW was created Blizzard had very little MMORPG experience at the time.

  16. #596
    The success of SWTOR is going to heavily depend on the bit of the game we don't know much about - the end-game. There will be operations and pvp, that is fine. The question is what are they going to do for the non-raiders and non-pvpers. And there are going to be a ton of these type of players that are huge fans of BioWare.

    The euphoria with the story *is* going to end, unless Bio patch the game frequently.

    They will not be able to go out exploring, that is for sure. The potential for exploring in this game is the same as it was in AoC at the start (not sure if AoC addressed that with later content patches).

  17. #597
    Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    They will not be able to go out exploring, that is for sure. The potential for exploring in this game is the same as it was in AoC at the start (not sure if AoC addressed that with later content patches).
    I'm not sure I understand that statement. Do you mean exploring new quirks/ideas in MMO design or do you mean physically exploring planets/etc?

  18. #598
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    78
    The thing with WoW and why it managed to beat other MMO's is not because its vastly superior to them, but because WoW already had a decent fan base. It had lore before it was even an MMO.

    Rift, Warhammer, and Aion... they didnt really have a huge fan base or lore to begin with. LOTRO had a fanbase but it came out when WoW was at it's peak.

  19. #599
    Quote Originally Posted by jsg388 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand that statement. Do you mean exploring new quirks/ideas in MMO design or do you mean physically exploring planets/etc?
    He means its a themepark MMO, linear and there aren't massive areas to go explore (at lower levels). This is that sandbox thinking that some people have.

    I assure you though that you can walk around some of the planets and explore and look for holocrons and waste hours.

    People complain about the game being too linear and not having choices in where to go, but these people are the minority.
    The majority of folks playing MMO's don't care whether its linear or sandbox, they simply want to be entertained by good gameplay and intriguing content while leveling to max level, and another % of these players care 0 about anything except getting to max level content.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 08:45 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by justlols View Post
    The thing with WoW and why it managed to beat other MMO's is not because its vastly superior to them, but because WoW already had a decent fan base. It had lore before it was even an MMO.

    Rift, Warhammer, and Aion... they didnt really have a huge fan base or lore to begin with. LOTRO had a fanbase but it came out when WoW was at it's peak.
    The reason WoW lasted is because they didn't make the mistakes other MMOs at the time did, EQ2 had the potential to be a far far better MMO than WoW, problem is SoE is a piece of shit company and ruins everything they touch. Blizzard is a great company and made the transition from battlenet type games to an MMO very well.
    WoW also did well because people of that time were willing to put up with alot of shit and still play a game. On release you were lucky if you could even get into the game, much less play it. The MMO player base too has evolved and does not allow these types of mistakes to happen.

  20. #600
    Quote Originally Posted by justlols View Post
    The thing with WoW and why it managed to beat other MMO's is not because its vastly superior to them, but because WoW already had a decent fan base. It had lore before it was even an MMO.

    Rift, Warhammer, and Aion... they didnt really have a huge fan base or lore to begin with. LOTRO had a fanbase but it came out when WoW was at it's peak.
    Actually Warhammer is by far the oldest, has the most lore and an impressive fan base. It also set the standard for "absurdly large weapons and shoulder-armor" that WoW has followed for years. Warhammer was out 11 years before the first Warcraft release.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •