Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    It wont succeed and the reasons have been mentioned all over those forums and on the SWTOR official forums as well.

Its one thing to make a strong single player RPG that suffers from clumsy gameplay but covers all its gaps due to an extremely strong story.

Its a completely different thing to serve the same recipe on an MMO. The gameplay factor is going to be its demise imo.
    I can't wait to see that proven wrong. The gameplay factor will be precisely what makes this game a success.

The force is strong with this one (game).

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I can't wait to see that proven wrong. The gameplay factor will be precisely what makes this game a success.

The force is strong with this one (game).
    If it is i might switch also. But i dont like what i saw so far on the beta videos.

I am looking for a new game for some time now infact i even tried Aion and was hoping it will work out. But just dont have much faith on Bioware not because its a bad company but simply because they got no experience.

And you only get one chance for a 1st impression if they mess it up everyone is back to WoW with 4.3 and Diablo coming up. I am not risking it until i see the game stabilise a bit and after a couple of months.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2011-11-03 at 05:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I can say is that every single video out there does not do this game justice. Spending a couple hours playing it is the only way to really see the greatness. And of course, the game won't be for everyone. But I'm rather positive that people on the fence will be pleasantly surprised.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

bring on being a pure evil sith sorcerer killing first ask questions later, this game will be successfull and im looking forward to it, the only thing i like about wow is raiding and even that gets boring after a few months of farming, i will be bouncing between D3, wow and SWTOR as it gets boring playing one game all the time.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

IBut just dont have much faith on Bioware not because its a bad company but simply because they got no experience.
    Did Blizzard have experience in MMO's before WoW? No. They made RTS games and Dungeon Crawlers.

Aion's writers had MMO experience, and look how that game turned out.

Experience means absolutely: <Dick> in this industry.

aslong as i like the game i dont care if there are 100 subs or 10 mil subs

I have faith in BW because their entire reputation is hanging on this game, huge budget, huge hype, huge expectations.

And the lead combat developer George Zoeller doesn't take shit from whiney players who think that BW owes them something and that they are the center of the universe.

This attitude is what will make a game get a following. To make an omelet you gotta break a few eggs.

TOR is not going to be everything to everyone and some will surely not play it or end up quitting. The team at BW needs to realize this and not try to be something it is not.

If you try to incorporate too many different aspect into a game you get a watered down version of the original intention. This is exactly why I do not play WoW anymore, they went down this same road and look at where it is going? Pokemon Playing Pandarens who look like Disney characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    BW will pretty much pay half of what they spent just from pre-orders, I don't think anyone expected this many pre-orders. They pretty much just need to keep 1 million subs for a year to pay off the rest.

If you still don't think it will succeed then go look at reviews. They opened the NDA somewhat for ign and other gaming experts to give their opinion. They have already given a decent amount of positive stuff with some negatives that aren't that big. Only the future will tell, but with blizz xpac and players that have played wow for 6+ years like me are extremely excited to try this game out. I'm not gonna try to say the game will fail, only time will tell, but the reviews already says it's not just wow in space.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see how this game wouldn't be successful.

1. It has a ridiculously powerful license that can easily draw non- MMO gamers into getting it and playing it. Its almost a gaurentee that its going to sell over a million copies in its first month, partially because of the license by itself.
    2. Bioware has a pretty strong record as a quality developer, and their last SW RPG KotoR is considered one of the best RPGs ever made.
    3. The game's budget is massive, corners won't be cut, and support should be ongoing throughout the game's cycle.
    4. Many in the MMO community at large are looking for a sci-fi MMO similar to WoW.
    5. Many WoW players are tired or done with WoW and looking for something else. You can see this by the number of WoW guilds moving over to SWTOR.
    6. There are no other major MMOs on the horizon. FF XIV 2.0 and WoW: MoP are over a year away. SWTOR has a pretty big window to get marketshare.

People thinking this game is going to go the way of Star Trek Online, or Rift, or DCU are fooling themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I really don't see how this game wouldn't be successful.

1. It has a ridiculously powerful license that can easily draw non- MMO gamers into getting it and playing it. Its almost a gaurentee that its going to sell over a million copies in its first month, partially because of the license by itself.
    2. Bioware has a pretty strong record as a quality developer, and their last SW RPG KotoR is considered one of the best RPGs ever made.
    3. The game's budget is massive, corners won't be cut, and support should be ongoing throughout the game's cycle.
    4. Many in the MMO community at large are looking for a sci-fi MMO similar to WoW.
    5. Many WoW players are tired or done with WoW and looking for something else. You can see this by the number of WoW guilds moving over to SWTOR.
    6. There are no other major MMOs on the horizon. FF XIV 2.0 and WoW: MoP are over a year away. SWTOR has a pretty big window to get marketshare.

People thinking this game is going to go the way of Star Trek Online, or Rift, or DCU are fooling themselves.
    I disagree with this point (agree with everything else though). Swtor will have to compete against 4.3 from WoW, and the GW2 beta. As for FFXIV...isn't that game long gone? They would pretty much have to start over if they wanted to make a good game.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatian View Post
    As for FFXIV...isn't that game long gone? They would pretty much have to start over if they wanted to make a good game.
    Which is exactly what they're doing.
    Last edited by Blznsmri; 2011-11-04 at 02:59 AM. Reason: My mind is full of fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    That picture is... absolutely horrifying... my dreams will not be pleasant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    That picture is... absolutely horrifying... my dreams will not be pleasant.
    I have no idea why that linked there... not what I copy/ pasted.

That's actually Fan art for Quarians...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Have you seen all the TOR fans in wow general forums lately, there isnt a day that goes by where somebody with a TOR sig is bashing on wow and blizzard in general.

This as been my major complaint, if a wow fan comes into the TOR forums and says a bad word against the game they get infracted yet the TOR guys are free to do as they please.
    That's not our fault that the mods in the WoW forums aren't doing what they signed up to do. Also just because there has been bashing from the TOR side against WoW in the general forums doesn't really make it right for the WoW fans to come to this forum and do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Have you seen all the TOR fans in wow general forums lately, there isnt a day that goes by where somebody with a TOR sig is bashing on wow and blizzard in general.

This as been my major complaint, if a wow fan comes into the TOR forums and says a bad word against the game they get infracted yet the TOR guys are free to do as they please.
    Actually, those people that are bashing WoW and Blizzard are all WoW players/former WoW players who hate what the game has become. No one is a SWTOR player yet, since the game isn't released. It's not as though the people bashing WoW are just random folks who don't plan to play it. They have played it, likely for years. Those who troll here most likely don't plan to try SWTOR at all.

You might ask me what the difference is. Does one have a right to troll, and the other doesn't?

I don't have an answer. Being a WoW player, I'm generally unhappy with the game. The only reason it's back on my HD is that I just need SOMETHING to do, until Dec 20th. When I come to these forums, I often vocalize my displeasure when it's relevant in a discussion, though I don't start up posts as to why I'm unhappy with WoW.

The people bashing SWTOR just want it to fail, and yet they haven't actually played the game. I do think there's a point where you have more right to bitch about something if you've been playing it, than if you just don't like Star Wars. I also think there's a point where people who are displeased with whatever game, should take to their complaining in moderation, with a logical standpoint. Unlike: "LOL UR GAME WILL FAIL LIKE RIFT AND AION LULZ!!!1oneone1!!"

It's been pointed out that Blizzard seems nervous about the upcoming releases. D3 for free? There are tons of people, WoW players and non-WoW players alike, who are going to buy D3 regardless. Tyrael's charger? People would EASILY buy this for $25 on the Blizz store. It does seem like a desperate (and intelligent) move. While I don't think pointing this out is necessarily flaming Blizzard and WoW, it's often the way people point it out, that ends up infuriating WoW fans. I, for one, am against all of this WoW-killer talk. Truth be told, no other game is going to rise up and crush WoW into oblivion, even if it gains more subs. Many would even go so far as to say that Blizzard is killing WoW itself, with the way the game is going.

I, personally, just want to hit stuff in the face with a goddamn lightsaber.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

10+ Year Old Account
    Gabe from Penny Arcade regarding his recent hands-on with TOR:

“In the short time I’ve been playing SW:TOR I have already given more thought to my character than I ever did in all the years I played WOW. I’ve had to make hard choices with my Bounty Hunter that have made me honestly think about who he is and what he’s like. At first I intended to play him as a real ***hole but some of the moral quagmires these quests put you in just aren’t that black and white. Do I do what gets me the most credits? Do I stay loyal to the person who gave me the job even it means hurting Innocent people? As a result of all this I have a character that is a hard ass bounty hunter who has a soft spot for people in trouble and children. The only thing I could tell you about my WOW character Dudefella is that he was a mage and a hell of a good dancer.”
    And that's why the game will be successful.

And that's why the game will be successful.
    Imagine having all of that, plus raids, plus dungeons, plus epeen pvp shit, plus everything else MMOs of this day and age have. I would also agree, that's why it's going to be awesome. You don't just get to have one or the other, story or good MMO qualities. You get both.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

If it is i might switch also. But i dont like what i saw so far on the beta videos.

I am looking for a new game for some time now infact i even tried Aion and was hoping it will work out. But just dont have much faith on Bioware not because its a bad company but simply because they got no experience.

And you only get one chance for a 1st impression if they mess it up everyone is back to WoW with 4.3 and Diablo coming up. I am not risking it until i see the game stabilise a bit and after a couple of months.
    Blizzard had no MMO experience either just saying. Also Aion might have failed as far as being a "WoW killer" is concerned, but I would in no way say that on it's own merits is a failed game.

Also what do you base your definition of success on? I hope you do realize that MMOs do not need to bring in WoW numbers to be a success, heck most games don't even need a million subscribers, they actually in fact need about half of that, it all depends on the infrastructure of the game. I think Bioware will do just fine, they got over 500k pre-orders just in US retailers alone, which doesn't count digital sales.

Also I disagree with your everyone will be back to WoW statement, that's already proven to be false because it doesn't happen to begin with. If everyone did go back to WoW then why is most of the "WoW killers" still operational to this day? Why did Blizzard lose a chunk of subscribers twice in a row? Why does a game like Rift have around 50 servers still?

No not everyone does come back to WoW what happens is people get replaced by new players which this can be accomplished in many ways such as Blizzard expanding their market into other parts of the world, which is in fact what Blizzard is trying to do right now by making a native version of the game for Brazil and things like that.

So when it comes down to it no game not even SWTOR will kill WoW like some people seem to wish, but those games that don't kill WoW are not automatic failures either, there's room for more than one game in the MMO market.

10+ Year Old Account
    I strongly disagree with this. there's (in random order)

The secret world
    Wildstar
    Firefall
    GW2
    Archeage
    planetside 2 (although I don't know if that's coming next year, not following it)

All of those look more interesting than any MMO that's come out lately and will surely get a reasonable to big following.

That said, I can't see sweater not succeed either though
    Monk, I need a monk!!!