Deleted

How do you guys do it?

So, I've been playing minecraft on and off for about a year now.
    I've got this nice world, working on a huuuuuuuuge ant statue at the moment etc. Got myself a nice house, connected to my mine with a minecart track. Probably nothing fancy in your eyes, but I'm kind off...attached to it.

Now there's this new patch, with all these cool new features. Apparently my world can incorporate those, but then I have to walk for about an hour, so that it makes new blocks.

So...I could of course start a new world, but then I would lose all my progress.
    I tried cutting out my part of my world...make a new world in MCedit (empty), and just paste my part in that. But what happens then, is that at the edge...there is a...let's say 20block wide ravine, where the old and new blocks don't connect.

What did you guys do? Just left your old world?

For me personally, I tend to not have any issues with letting go of an older creation (say, server upgrades prevent copying, etc). I'm not much of a single player mode type of person anyway but that's steering away from the question really. I love to make new things and typically all I keep are screen shots of old builds so if anything, I can recreate them, often improving them alot.

Granted, everyone is different, but this is how it is for me.

Deleted
    I've kinda had the view not to get attached to projects In MC.
    Though If I'm designing something unique, then I'll take screen-shots of each stage. Then I'm able to advance the build further looking at the (Blue Prints).

I've made some awesome things on my old worlds (mainly houses... kickass houses!). It's a shame to delete them, but I feel that sometimes a fresh start is worth it.

What MAY be possible though is getting a world editor and copying your project and putting it into a new world... not entirely sure if this works, but I'd hope it would... I haven't really used a world editor that much.

I frequently just start a new world fresh, without deleting the previous one. when I wanted to test the new 1.8 stuff, I went to a seed where someone had recorded a stronghold location and built my house right on top of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

On my server a friend is making a giant base inside a mountain and when we put that in a new world for the patch there was the giant hole to nothingness behind it and we thought it was awesome i then made it go all the way around the mountain and we made a fancy bridge connecting it. Then everyone else went and started there own projects, thats how we did it lol.

Deleted
    I tend to capture whatever I create one way or the other anyway, so they are never truly lost. It's a sad moment though.

If im reading this right, this has been an issue that has always confused me. a mutliplayer sever i go to always treats each new major patch as a time you have to start a new world and can't go back to the world one. My personal mutliplayer sever has lived through patch after patch, never had to start another one.

15+ Year Old Account
    You could use MCedit to copy your buildings to a new world.. just a random tip

Deleted
    I've had pretty much the same problem as I don't have a whole lot of time to mess with minecraft so it's taken me a long time to build the somewhat grand structures I've built. I'm not really keen on starting a whole new world just to see the new features, but I do want to see them. I've been progressively solving this problem by using the nether for traveling. I think my latest creation to see the new 1.8 features is about a 30 minute walk from my main base, but I built a nether portal to it so it takes a lot less time to get to the new areas.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've just learned to not get attached to anything in MC. In creative mode, I might be a little upset, but I have no issues deleting a survival save and simply starting over. That is part of the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by H3ll View Post
    You could use MCedit to copy your buildings to a new world.. just a random tip
    He said that he did try that, but encountered errors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    I've just learned to not get attached to anything in MC. In creative mode, I might be a little upset, but I have no issues deleting a survival save and simply starting over. That is part of the fun of it.
    Haha, myeah...I guess I'm combining it...building big things in survival mode...
    Not the smartest move, but hey...always exciting, standing on my statue to work on it when I suddenly see a creeper jumping towards me! =)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    I tried cutting out my part of my world...make a new world in MCedit (empty), and just paste my part in that. But what happens then, is that at the edge...there is a...let's say 20block wide ravine, where the old and new blocks don't connect.
    MCedit works just fine, update ur MCedit to the latest version, copy-paste parts of the old world in the new world and use the Filter option from MCedit (Smooth and Decliff) to fix the cliffs/ravines.

15+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy creating thing, but once I'm done I really don't care anymore and want to work on the next project.

I'm more into building redstone stuff though. Especially complex rail systems.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just start over (on a new random world), a clean break so to speak.
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

Deleted
    I just start a new world but i save the old ones wich ends with me having like 10 diffrent saves >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    So, I've been playing minecraft on and off for about a year now.
    I've got this nice world, working on a huuuuuuuuge ant statue at the moment etc. Got myself a nice house, connected to my mine with a minecart track. Probably nothing fancy in your eyes, but I'm kind off...attached to it.

Now there's this new patch, with all these cool new features. Apparently my world can incorporate those, but then I have to walk for about an hour, so that it makes new blocks.

So...I could of course start a new world, but then I would lose all my progress.

What did you guys do? Just left your old world?
    Here's my advice. Start keeping a archive of minecraft files.

You should be saving the following no matter if you plan on using it or not: Fresh & Clean installs of Minecraft for every version / last patch before a major patch, Backup Saves of your modded Minecraft installs, and backups of texturepacks and world-saves. This way, you can keep whatever you want and still play it should you decide to.

I'm personally still playing 1.7.3 because the mods I have aren't up to date yet, and I'm too attached to my current world to really want to change (It's pretty epic if I say so myself)

Also, like you said, I'm sure you could find a way with MCedit to do it. For me it isn't possible since my save file is too large.
    I sold out 4 years ago, when I sold to Major League Gaming. And I think you're a troll.
    - Boub

You are able to use mcEdit to cut and paste creations from 1.7.3 or lower to a 1.8.1 or higher, I used it for a few of my personal server creations.

They wouldn't make you have to delete all of your hard work, so there are ways to get is transferred over.

Deleted
    I got to watch.
    Last edited by mmoc60667c313d; 2017-01-29 at 04:06 AM.