Page 67 of 99 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzu View Post
    Astral Storm vs. Hurricane is pretty much a joke nowadays. Yes, AS deals less damage but the situations you really need the pathetic Moonkin AoE, you will find AS fitting just as well. If you worry about your eclipse and slow your boss damage down just to get solar to AoE something, you are holding yourself back. Other classes should be able to handle the AoE almost by themselves and you will just be an added bonus.

It's good if you hit solar for Hurricane, but definitely not worth slowing your eclipse cycles for. Unless, of course, you really need every single damage point on the adds that everyone can muster.
    I completely agree with you. But what I meant by certain situations was trash mobs "on the way to the boss".

I also noticed that for example on the Fallen Protectors when Tenderheart forms the bubble which you have to run inside, being in solar is ideal since I got to span the cycle of shrooms then Hurricane and it worked well for my DPS. Note that I interrupt the cycle when SS procs.

How do you suggest I deal with such a situation?

PS: My experience is based on LFR. I will be having my first guild tryout tonight since I am recent to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutheru View Post
    When you first load the file, you need to enable editing and then enable macros at the top of the page.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you deal with Reflections on Sha of Pride Heroic?

I can either hold Starfall so that I don't cast it when the boss is about to cast Self-Reflection (but that means it will often have to be cast outside of Lunar Eclipse) or I can glyph it so it only targets DoT-ed targets.

Both of these options are a DPS loss, however. :/
    Well depends on your raid setup really. In my case 2xLocks, Ele shaman alone are enough for me to do nothing. If I happen to be in solar then I detonate my already planted prepull mushrooms and hurricane once.

I can either hold Starfall so that I don't cast it when the boss is about to cast Self-Reflection (but that means it will often have to be cast outside of Lunar Eclipse) or I can glyph it so it only targets DoT-ed targets.

I don't even touch the adds on hc, and I barely touch the Immerseus adds other than the few seconds where I'm waiting for a dispel, or I've found myself just entering a solar eclipse. I find our AoE just far to weak to even bother timing anything around it just to pad, when other classes can do the job far better.

PS Alzu I just looked at your armoury, I'm so jealous of dat gear :<
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

I just spec for Single target and let other people do the AoE. At least in my guild everyone is very quick to get into AoE spam that if I tried to do any significant damage to them they would die too fast anyway.

How do you react to legendary meta gem proc? Do you just go on as always or do you redot like you would like an affli lock?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Well depends on your raid setup really. In my case 2xLocks, Ele shaman alone are enough for me to do nothing. If I happen to be in solar then I detonate my already planted prepull mushrooms and hurricane once.
    DPS-wise, I agree with you (and everybody else who has posted). That's what I do as well. I spec FoN + HotW and treat the fight as mainly single-target.

My question was regarding aggro, however. What used to happen on our initial tries is that because people were spread out, I would pull some of the Reflections before the tanks got the chance to, pissing them and the RL off.

So I was contemplating whether it would be better to glyph Guided Stars or delay using Starfall when self-reflection is cast but both of these options would result in a dps loss. We've now amended the tactics to stack up on the boss and AOE Reflections and Corrupted Fragments so hopefully I can return to using Starfall as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by hYrsch View Post
    How do you react to legendary meta gem proc? Do you just go on as always or do you redot like you would like an affli lock?
    You just go "Oh, cool. Meta gem proc." and continue doing what you were doing already.

15+ Year Old Account
    DPS-wise, I agree with you (and everybody else who has posted). That's what I do as well. I spec FoN + HotW and treat the fight as mainly single-target.

My question was regarding aggro, however. What used to happen on our initial tries is that because people were spread out, I would pull some of the Reflections before the tanks got the chance to, pissing them and the RL off.

So I was contemplating whether it would be better to glyph Guided Stars or delay using Starfall when self-reflection is cast but both of these options would result in a dps loss. We've now amended the tactics to stack up on the boss and AOE Reflections and Corrupted Fragments so hopefully I can return to using Starfall as normal.
    I used to use the GS glyph on the very first pulls, however, eventually I've found it not really necessary. So what if I agro a few of those (max I did was 3). If it happens I just possition myself closer to the boss so someone takes it off me eventually. Plus, they will leave you alone if you get to the "pac man" zone or into prisson. What we do is that we don't really get bothered with the small adds. They don't do anything special and are only bit dangerous when they spawn. Few of them aren't really capable of killing a dps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hYrsch View Post
    I use affdots addon for balance druids. It takes into account all the dot boosters (trinkets, eclipse, etc) and tells you how much % of current dot power you will gain/lose if you reaply at any particular moment.

The meta gem itself isn't enough of a reason to always reapply (tho it is among the strongest of possible boosters). Also a lot of depends on how much time you have left on your dots. Basicly, I still try to mostly reapply in eclipses but the addons helps me which dot will give more/lose less if I reapply it duting movement. Also, even if I see some nice buff up I try to not reapply until it's close to end because sometimes just before it ends something else procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    I used to use the GS glyph on the very first pulls, however, eventually I've found it not really necessary. So what if I agro a few of those (max I did was 3). If it happens I just possition myself closer to the boss so someone takes it off me eventually. Plus, they will leave you alone if you get to the "pac man" zone or into prisson. What we do is that we don't really get bothered with the small adds. They don't do anything special and are only bit dangerous when they spawn. Few of them aren't really capable of killing a dps.

- - - Updated - - -

I use affdots addon for balance druids. It takes into account all the dot boosters (trinkets, eclipse, etc) and tells you how much % of current dot power you will gain/lose if you reaply at any particular moment.

The meta gem itself isn't enough of a reason to always reapply (tho it is among the strongest of possible boosters). Also a lot of depends on how much time you have left on your dots. Basicly, I still try to mostly reapply in eclipses but the addons helps me which dot will give more/lose less if I reapply it duting movement. Also, even if I see some nice buff up I try to not reapply until it's close to end because sometimes just before it ends something else procs.
    While the relative strength of SnF and MF can be useful information, generally in a standstill situation reapplying DoTs instantly as a reaction to a trinket proc is 100% wrong play(poo-poo UVLS trinket being the only exception atm). A common mistake from balance druids is overestimating DoT strength/power overall, when continuing to chain cast/push faster cycle times is better. In fact, there are situations where allowing one DoT or more rarely atm, both DoTs to fall off for a short period of time is okay (in contrast to attempting to maintain 100% DoT uptimes).

As Lilja suggests, the remaining time on SnF and MF are really the overriding factors. A situation where there's 3-4 seconds remaining on an eclipsed DoT and 1 second remaining on an intellect trinket proc when you're also a cast or 2 from leaving an eclipse ofc you should refresh. However, if the same scenario occurred and 10 seconds remained on a fresh proc you should push a new eclipse given no incoming movement.

TLDR: no don't instantly reapply DoTs if a trinket procs. Everything is situational and gear dependent.

When you first load the file, you need to enable editing and then enable macros at the top of the page.

- - - Updated - - -

Don´t hold starfall neither glyph it, what you would want to do it try to be in a eclipse preferably solar ofc and do like 2-3ticks of hurricane/astral strom and then keep DPSing the boss, that what I do atleast.

Regards
    Abdir

Deleted
    So now that we got the chance to practice the encounters and try out different talents, what do you people think are the best talent combinations for every boss?

Here are my thoughts, feel free to pick them apart.

Immerseus - The burn phases are really short but probably long enough to make Inc worthwhile so Inc/HotW I guess given the adds die super fast? On normal, Inc is probably not worth it.
    The Fallen Protectors - Inc/DoC considering you're keeping DoTs up on multiple targets all the time.
    Norushen - Inc/DoC or Inc/HotW? If adds don't die fast then DoC might be worth it but if they are burned down quickly, you're probably better off with HotW.
    Sha of Pride - Given how quickly everything dies, on heroic I'd be inclined to go with FoN/HotW and just leave DoTs rolling on adds which shouldn't cause treants to change targets (definitely the best choice on normal).
    Galakras - Inc/DoC gives how many targets you have up for most of the fight.
    Iron Juggernaut - FoN/HotW since it's clearly a single target fight.
    Kor'kron Dark Shaman - On normal Inc/DoC since you're keeping DoTs rolling on two targets for the entire fight. On Heroic, FoN/HotW since it's effective a single target encounter.
    General Nazgrim - Inc/DoC since you have adds for a large part of the encounter.
    Malkorok - FoN/HotW since it's a single target fight.
    Spoils of Pandaria - Inc/DoC since there are multiple mobs a lot of the time.
    Thok the Bloodthirsty - FoN/HotW since it's largely a single target fight.
    Siegecrafter Blackfuse - On normal FoN/HotW since we only activated mines at the very end. If mines have to be active a lot of the time on Heroic, then maybe Inc/DoC is better?
    Paragons of the Klaxxi - Not sure here. You have to change targets for adds and Amber so either Inc/HotW or Inc/DoC I guess?
    Garrosh Hellscream - Whilst a lot of the fight is single target, you're going to DoT multiple targets in P1 and P3 (which is the most difficult phase) which would suggest Inc/DoC or Inc/HotW?

All of this refers to 25-man, by the way. I imagine that on 10-man Nature's Vigil is a very attractive option due to the healing that it provides.

Norushen: I use FoN+HotW because they are not affected by the corruption mechanic. Adds don't live long enough to warrant DoC

Shamans: Been doing it with Inc+DoC, but this week I will try FoN+HotW because we are using the 1 Shaman out/1 Shaman in the building normal tactic, for the last few weeks.

Thok: Another advantage of FoN+HotW is that your rotation doesn't get screwed as much towards the end of every P1.

Garrosh : You can argue for FoN+HotW depending on raid setup, given the amount of movement in the fight and how you handle adds in P1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Garrosh : You can argue for FoN+HotW depending on raid setup, given the amount of movement in the fight and how you handle adds in P1.
    Yes, I've been experimenting with FoN/HotW as well given how much of the fight is single target. However, the most important damage is during P3 when you have to break MC and kill adds very quickly which would point towards Inc/DoC. I guess you could argue for both.

You can get away with not killing the P3 adds at all, so it's still tactics dependant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Immerseus - The burn phases are really short but probably long enough to make Inc worthwhile so Inc/HotW I guess given the adds die super fast? On normal, Inc is probably not worth it.
    Actually, appart from the start of the fight all our 3min CDs go pretty much to waste on that fight. Plus it's not really a dps race and eventually the speed of the fight boils down to healing the adds on the transitions rather than dpsing down anything.

Norushen - Inc/DoC or Inc/HotW? If adds don't die fast then DoC might be worth it but if they are burned down quickly, you're probably better off with HotW.
    I would say it depends where you are on the queue to clear yourself. Due to some gear luck and being at the top of single target dps charts in my guild I always clear myself at the start so for me it's pretty much a single target fight with rare and random help on adds.
    Also, I don't know if it's still the case, but supposingly FoN does full dmg to boss.

Actually, appart from the start of the fight all our 3min CDs go pretty much to waste on that fight. Plus it's not really a dps race and eventually the speed of the fight boils down to healing the adds on the transitions rather than dpsing down anything.
    Just run around naked on that fight. The DPS/healing requirement can be met with 10 people on 25H and there's no point trying to go for a good parse because half the time the boss decides to stay in the split phase for 20 seconds after all the adds are dealt with.

Immerseus is pretty much freeloot on any difficulty.

If you really want to min/max for dps/parsing w/e on immerseus I'd go for full burst to maximize damage for the first time he's up + your first hurricane on the adds. You'll want to spec DoC+InC and coordinate an aoe grip location with your resident DK.

save zerking for aoe as well.

The meta gem itself isn't enough of a reason to always reapply (tho it is among the strongest of possible boosters). Also a lot of depends on how much time you have left on your dots.
    The last time I checked (5.3 when I first got the new meta) the meta proc would update dynamically with dots and make them tick faster/extra.
    You can check this by just dotting raid target dummy then hovering over the dot debuff, check the time between ticks, then let meta wear off or cast cast until you get a meta proc and check again.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbender View Post
    The last time I checked (5.3 when I first got the new meta) the meta proc would update dynamically with dots and make them tick faster/extra.
    You can check this by just dotting raid target dummy then hovering over the dot debuff, check the time between ticks, then let meta wear off or cast cast until you get a meta proc and check again.
    The tooltip isn't telling the truth. Yes, that updates dynamically but the dot itself isn't.