Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hey guys,
    So i have decided to main alt my boomkin for the 3rd expansion in a row, (possible reroll option) and am curious as to how to approach specific encounters.

My understanding is that on fights where you need immediate multidot burst, you begin in solar (starfall into full CDS and shroom detonate, double dot everything and then continue on normally), is the correct?

Then for single target my understanding is the standard pre lunar pull (starfall into wrath, incarnation, SF to 0 then CA).

This would make the solar opening encounters- shamans-protectors-paragons- galakras. (How would i approach heroic garry if this were the case?)
    i see that the guide suggests, solar for most encounters if you have the meta gem etc. yet i also see some druids pulling in lunar for the single target encounters as well.

My other question would be when is it appropriate to multidot? Or better asked, how should i multidot?

2-3 double dot
    3+ eclipsed dot and double dot main target?

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by melennia; 2014-05-25 at 08:40 PM.

Sig by Skog =D
    Millennia-Mage-<vodka><WWA><Midwinter><BDGG>

Quote Originally Posted by melennia View Post
    Hey guys,
    So i have decided to main alt my boomkin for the 3rd expansion in a row, (possible reroll option) and am curious as to how to approach specific encounters.

My understanding is that on fights where you need immediate multidot burst, you begin in solar (starfall into full CDS and shroom detonate, double dot everything and then continue on normally), is the correct?

Then for single target my understanding is the standard pre lunar pull (starfall into wrath, incarnation, SF to 0 then CA).

This would make the solar opening encounters- shamans-protectors-paragons- galakras. (How would i approach heroic garry if this were the case?)
    i see that the guide suggests, solar for most encounters if you have the meta gem etc. yet i also see some druids pulling in lunar for the single target encounters as well.
    What opener is best depends on what gear you have. Most importantly if you have the Legendary meta gem you'll generally want to use the Solar opener for every fight aside from Sha and Spoils. If you don't have the legendary meta then you'll want to do as you said and use the Lunar opener on fights where you aren't going to multidot on pull.

Paragons you don't want to multidot at all on pull unless you're trying to pad.

As far as Garrosh goes what opener you use will depend on whether or not you plan on just single targeting the boss, DoTing all the ads or using Hurricane/Astral Storm on the adds.

Quote Originally Posted by melennia View Post
    My other question would be when is it appropriate to multidot? Or better asked, how should i multidot?

2-3 double dot
    3+ eclipsed dot and double dot main target?

Any help is greatly appreciated
    2-3 targets: Both DoTs on all targets.
    4+ targetsB: Both DoTs on 2 targets then eclipsed DoT on all extra targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    What opener is best depends on what gear you have. Most importantly if you have the Legendary meta gem you'll generally want to use the Solar opener for every fight aside from Sha and Spoils. If you don't have the legendary meta then you'll want to do as you said and use the Lunar opener on fights where you aren't going to multidot on pull.

Paragons you don't want to multidot at all on pull unless you're trying to pad.

As far as Garrosh goes what opener you use will depend on whether or not you plan on just single targeting the boss, DoTing all the ads or using Hurricane/Astral Storm on the adds.

2-3 targets: Both DoTs on all targets.
    4+ targetsB: Both DoTs on 2 targets then eclipsed DoT on all extra targets.
    Thanks for the great response, that answers all my questions
    Seriously debating on rerolling (have been for a very long time, as I love my boomkin), especially now after the 6.0 changes were revealed, really excited.

Sig by Skog =D
    Millennia-Mage-<vodka><WWA><Midwinter><BDGG>

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's up guys and gals. Have a question for you all if there is already an answer somewhere just send the link pls.

Firstly with a 581 my SS wastage will occasionally be nuts having over 50% crit with raid buffs. I decided to try actually dropping some crit for mastery. There are the obvious issues with this, potential less dps on high movement fights etc. However after about two weeks of testing the potential with this build seems much higher. I probably wouldn't drop below 15000 crit but i'm getting openers upwards of 1.6 mil with good procs. Looked into it a little and it seems top parsing boomkins are kinda split on this. If anyone can shed some more light on this i'd appreciate it. Theory-crafting is a fun hobby.

Drpaws - <Conviction> Korgath US

Feel free to check my toon out.
    Last edited by Darkdoctor; 2014-06-06 at 04:36 AM.

Deleted
    Check out the "Too much crit? (Boomkin)" thread, think some things have been said about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdoctor View Post
    What's up guys and gals. Have a question for you all if there is already an answer somewhere just send the link pls.

Firstly with a 581 my SS wastage will occasionally be nuts having over 50% crit with raid buffs. I decided to try actually dropping some crit for mastery. There are the obvious issues with this, potential less dps on high movement fights etc. However after about two weeks of testing the potential with this build seems much higher. I probably wouldn't drop below 15000 crit but i'm getting openers upwards of 1.6 mil with good procs. Looked into it a little and it seems top parsing boomkins are kinda split on this. If anyone can shed some more light on this i'd appreciate it. Theory-crafting is a fun hobby.

Drpaws - <Conviction> Korgath US

Feel free to check my toon out.
    "SS Wastage" is overhyped. Real men still stack crit for its flexibility.

Source: I'm a doctor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountaiin View Post
    That's it, i'm convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Feralica View Post
    That's it, i'm convinced.
    Not enough for me. He's just a doctor, not the doctor.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Not a mobile laser platform...? ^_^

"SS Wastage" is overhyped. Real men still stack crit for its flexibility.

Mastery is for old pudgy fingered grandmas. If you have high SS proc wastage drink a coffee or Monster energy drink before raid or stop letting your grandma play your account

Well, excuse me for getting older. I'd rather not, but i wasn't given a choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can reach 10296 haste and have 7900~ crit with my shit gear (540). I dont have legendary meta gem (yet, hoping to get that today though). Worth respeccing to haste? Should probably mention I just recently went balance, so I only have 1 DPS trinket (Black blood) and rocking the Dysmorphic healing trinket until I get Bindings or Totem for now.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    I can reach 10296 haste and have 7900~ crit with my shit gear (540). I dont have legendary meta gem (yet, hoping to get that today though). Worth respeccing to haste? Should probably mention I just recently went balance, so I only have 1 DPS trinket (Black blood) and rocking the Dysmorphic healing trinket until I get Bindings or Totem for now.
    Yeah, a general guideline is that after you still have 5k crit, you can switch to the 2nd haste breakpoint.

Not specifically Moonkin related, but does anyone know how long Bindings goes on ICD for when you swap which slot it is in?

Deleted
    Not specifically Moonkin related, but does anyone know how long Bindings goes on ICD for when you swap which slot it is in?
    115 sec as usual

10+ Year Old Account
    Question about dots and what this guide recommended. It says to use affdots, is this still true?

I am trying to figure out when is the best time to apply new dots, there seems to be so many chances at a good dot application and I really like to min/max so just getting it sometimes or doing "good enough" is not what I want. I really want to understand why I am applying the new dot vs the old dot.

I just started back on my Moonkin last night (we had our quit) and it use to be my main for years so I am back on the saddle.

So yeah, there seems to be so many scenarios where applying a new dot may be good but I am just not sure/confident with my on the fly descision making skills rite now and would love some insight on this topic to better help me!

If there is a detailed post that I missed with this topic discussed please direct me to it and I will read it! <3

There's really no way to fully explain DoT application for Boomkin without writing a 50 page report.

Personally I like Affdots but I also know that a lot of Boomkins don't use it. It's not something you want to pay all your attention to like you actually would with a Warlock but in my opinion it's definitely worth using. Generally you don't want to clip DoTs early but if there is a significant (~300%) power increase or you have the opportunity to abuse Lunar shower with a power increase then you may want to clip them earlier.

There's really no way to fully explain DoT application for Boomkin without writing a 50 page report.

Personally I like Affdots but I also know that a lot of Boomkins don't use it. It's not something you want to pay all your attention to like you actually would with a Warlock but in my opinion it's definitely worth using. Generally you don't want to clip DoTs early but if there is a significant (~300%) power increase or you have the opportunity to abuse Lunar shower with a power increase then you may want to clip them earlier.
    I concur.

Use AffDots as way to check that you applied your dots correctly, not to (excessively) refresh/clip.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw is there a difference between

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots-druid

and

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots-balance-druid

They look the same to me but the first one is more updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    I concur.

Use AffDots as way to check that you applied your dots correctly, not to (excessively) refresh/clip.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw is there a difference between

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots-druid

and

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots-balance-druid

They look the same to me but the first one is more updated.
    I just downloaded the first one (I've been using the second one since ToT) But the new one has an additional color: Blue. What does it signify?

Quote Originally Posted by Druidboii View Post
    I just downloaded the first one (I've been using the second one since ToT) But the new one has an additional color: Blue. What does it signify?
    I tested them but forgot to return here. They are the same because when you install them you only see one. They also have the same authors but the Affdots-Druid one looks more updated.

I believe blue is relevant to the "Pandemic" effect, but for this module is used as an indicator as to when it's safe to clip without losing dps but also means the dot will not be any stronger either. At least that's what I gather from my test run. You can see what the colours mean in the settings using /affdots