Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Since when did PC games become $60?

So I haven't bought a PC game in a long time so I haven't seen prices. But looking into some games recently it seems that every one being released is starting at $59.99.

It used to be that all PC titles were $10 cheaper than console. $49.99 for PC and $59.99 for console, and I thought that made sense because I payed 4 times as much for my gaming system as the console owners so getting cheaper games seemed appropriate, along with the fact that most console gamers are teenage boys who throw fits at their parents to buy them games so they can get away with pricing them higher because they know the parents will pay whatever it takes to shut their kids up. (And I can say this because I used to be one but after like 16 I never touched a console again.)

IDK, nonetheless, I still bought ToR for 60 dollars and am still happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.

Deleted
    It's unfair to console gamers because they pay the same amount but get a game that can only be played at low graphics on 1240x1024 resolution. Think about it and you'll be happy that you're paying the same amount as them.

Deleted
    most are cheaper but mostly EA games tends to charge the same price.

I have notice that even though they are being released at $60 the price drops much sooner than the console games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noremac View Post
    So I haven't bought a PC game in a long time so I haven't seen prices. But looking into some games recently it seems that every one being released is starting at $59.99.

It used to be that all PC titles were $10 cheaper than console. $49.99 for PC and $59.99 for console, and I thought that made sense because I payed 4 times as much for my gaming system as the console owners so getting cheaper games seemed appropriate, along with the fact that most console gamers are teenage boys who throw fits at their parents to buy them games so they can get away with pricing them higher because they know the parents will pay whatever it takes to shut their kids up. (And I can say this because I used to be one but after like 16 I never touched a console again.)
    First part of your paragraph was doing alright. Then you hit the "OMG CONSOLES ARE FOR KIDS TROLOLOLOL" sentence. At that point I simply rolled my eyes. Anyway. Publishers getting greedy. Life goes on. Furthermore, the price you had to pay for your fandangled magical uranium powered machine does not come into account when Publishers price their games. They're likely more expensive because you're looking at ones published by Activision and EA, as opposed to some of the other publishers, who tended to be more fair with pricing.
    Last edited by mmoc65a9be75bb; 2011-10-02 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noremac View Post
    Since when did PC games become $60?
    yeah! and what happened to oil prices? and cars? why is everything getting more and more expensive? is it our monetary system called capitalism, paired with inflational money and corrupt bankers?!

mhhhh. you go figure!

Since the gaming companies got greedier.

MS / Sony charge the developers ~$10 in licensing to put a game on their console. PC's didn't have this extra cost, so the game was $10 cheaper. The gaming companies then got greedy, and decided to just keep the $10 for themselves. It was a big F-U to the PC gamers

Since that point I only buy games when they hit the $20-30 mark. That's my big F-U back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    yeah! and what happened to oil prices? and cars? why is everything getting more and more expensive? is it our monetary system called capitalism, paired with inflational money and corrupt bankers?!

mhhhh. you go figure!
    That tinfoil hat suits you
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    yes I think its safe to say that brother is mad.

try Amazon.com

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome avatar, Lewis.
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkitozh View Post
    It's unfair to console gamers because they pay the same amount but get a game that can only be played at low graphics on 1240x1024 resolution. Think about it and you'll be happy that you're paying the same amount as them.
    Meh it's unfair to both, the only reason games are that expensive on console is "because they can" were-as PC gamers are more likely to torrent if they charge through the roof for games

Starcraft2 made 60$ a new standard!
    "Blizzard is not incompetent or stupid and they are not intentionally screwing you over"

Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post
    It all started with two games, Starcraft and Call of Duty... some others followed as they notice they can get away with it... there are still lots of sub 59.99 games on offer though butI fear its only a matter of time untill they all get the memo that were rich for harvesting another 10...

Atleast you aren't paying $100 for your PS3 games, and $70-80 for your PC games like we are over here in Europe.

Though from that value, you can tell that we still have a price difference between console and PC games.

Edit: Completely forgot to answer the OP. It's been like this for a couple of years I believe. Atleast it's been a very long time since I saw a game not releasing at the $60 mark.
    Last edited by Uwibami; 2011-10-02 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    First part of your paragraph was doing alright. Then you hit the "OMG CONSOLES ARE FOR KIDS TROLOLOLOL" sentence. At that point I simply rolled my eyes. Anyway. Publishers getting greedy. Life goes on. Furthermore, the price you had to pay for your fandangled magical uranium powered machine does not come into account when Publishers price their games. They're likely more expensive because you're looking at ones published by Activision and EA, as opposed to some of the other publishers, who tended to be more fair with pricing.
    Well you can't say that there isn't some truth there. Sure not all people that play console games are kids, and there are tons of kids that play PC games as well... but when I can go look up any YouTube video of Halo, Call of Duty, etc and there is always guaranteed to be some 11 year old screaming kid in the video that wont shut up on the mic. And because I remember being that kid also gives kind of a bias to the situation I guess but I remember being so hooked on consoles from like 12-15 and like right when I turned 16 I put all that crap in the closet never to be used again. I may whip out the SNES from time to time but that is more of a nostalgia thing, as for the consoles that are old but not old enough to be classic I could care less about them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post

mhhhh. you go figure!
    This would make sense except the fact that console game prices didn't inflate. By this logic you say everything inflated so if PC games went from $50 to $60 shouldn't that mean that console games should now be $70?

My brother bought Uncharted 2 in store for 111USD, to console.
    And that was 6 months after release. (Damn Elkjøp)
    Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
    Awesome avatar, Lewis.
    thanks
    (10char)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    yes I think its safe to say that brother is mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post
    But starcraft is well worth the 60 dollars. Games like COD aren't.

Deleted
    try to just buy the keycodes and download the game most of the time its a lot cheaper