10+ Year Old Account

Strange problem with high FPS in multiple games and speaker noise?

Hello everyone. I recently built a new computer and purchased a new monitor. So far I've had no big issues until tonight. When I went to log on WoW for the first time on this new rig I noticed a very strange and highly annoying problem. I'm getting a very annoying whirling buzzing type sound from my speakers that gets louder the higher my FPS in game gets. When I have low fps it's almost quiet. I know the noise is coming from my speakers and not my computer itself because it goes away completely whenever I unplug the cord from the computer. I didn't notice it the other day when I was on Metro 2033 because I don't get very high FPS in that game while on ultra high settings. However I found myself getting 300+ fps at times in WoW which causes the noise to get extremely loud. I also turned the sound all the way down yet it didn't help a thing. The noise continued on.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I'm not sure if it's the speakers themselves or what. I really hope not because they're the speakers in my monitor and I'd hate to have to RMA the entire monitor over this. But yeah whenever I close WoW and I have nothing open theres no noise coming at all. It's silent. I've tried googling for this problem but I couldn't find anything.

are you using the speakers on your monitor ? if so shitty wiring could be causing static to come through your speakers. if that is the case your best bet is to get external speakers
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Knowing Blizz, the graphic settings will be able to be tuned down to play on a microwave oven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm using the speakers on my monitor. I wasn't going to because I usually just used a headset, but I've found out I enjoy having speakers when I'm not using ventrilo and the like.

that is most likely your problem, i have my head set and then a 5.1 system for moves and music on my computer, not cheep but its not that expensive anymore either. you could try to set Vsync and it should lock your fps to your refresh rate on your monitor 60-75 most of the time see if that helps. im too tired atm to try and type out a good explination of the problem but in a nutshell so much data is going to your monitor that some is "bleeding" into the wiring for the speakers and it come out as static.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Knowing Blizz, the graphic settings will be able to be tuned down to play on a microwave oven.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is there also a mic built into the monitor? If so try muting it in the Volume Control and see if that helps.
    Cairne, my brother, I will avenge your death, Magatha Grimtotem and her followers will pay with their lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried Vsync but it still was making the noise, although not as loud. If the reason for the noise is due to the static bleeding out then I suppose I have no choice but to just buy some regular speakers then.

Also, there is a microphone outlet on the monitor, but it isn't built in so that can't be the problem then. =\

Deleted
    I would not eliminate the motherboard/soundcard being the problem. This kind of behavior is not exactly uncommon with motherboard based sound, and weak or low powered audio systems (monitor speakers and headphones) tend to be particularly susceptible to its effects.

I suggest you try to reduce the volume setting on the speakers, and increase the volume setting on the system itself. Hopefully that'll dampen out the electrical noise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm well I plugged in my headset and the weird noise went away completely. Which makes me think it would have to be my monitor's speakers only then? I guess if that's the case I'll just have to buy a pair of regular speakers later on then.