Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Destruction warlocks

Hey!
    I just wonder if blizzard is going to do something about destruction warlocks, usually i crit with chaos bolt it's really useless crits for like 18-20k sometimes, i went demonology i had 22k dps. Respecced affli to destro just to check it out, i only had 16k dps in raids i have 20k. If someone could just help me out a bit I play in outland-eu name sosseri,this is my first post so i can't link. I've read the guides, watched videos but nothing helps. So i did my own reforging and it really helped, but just tell me if i've done something wrong on my reforging, and i'm thinking to racechange because undead is useless in pve as a destruction so i wondered if it's good to go troll or orc, i don't know what to pick.

I do 25-30k dps as destruction. Less on average than other specs, but I enjoy the playstyle and semblance of actual burst damage. It sounds like your gear is simply lower as to why you're critting low, I crit for 50-70k with 4pc up. Play the spec you love and the dps will follow once you start gearing up

I can't check your armory atm but if you go to askmrrobot.com and import your character it will optimize your reforgig pretty reliably. Improved Soul Fire uptimes and using conflag on cooldown are the usual things I notice people need to work on when it comes to destro dps so make sure you're good on that, as well as dot uptimes.

If you want to race change I would recommend Orc.
    Last edited by gakpad; 2011-09-29 at 02:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gakpad View Post
    I do 25-30k dps as destruction. Less on average than other specs, but I enjoy the playstyle and semblance of actual burst damage. It sounds like your gear is simply lower as to why you're critting low, I crit for 50-70k with 4pc up. Play the spec you love and the dps will follow once you start gearing up

I can't check your armory atm but if you go to askmrrobot.com and import your character it will optimize your reforgig pretty reliably. Improved Soul Fire uptimes and using conflag on cooldown are the usual things I notice people need to work on when it comes to destro dps so make sure you're good on that, as well as dot uptimes.

If you want to race change I would recommend Orc.
    The fact that you tell other people to use askmrrobot to get optimized reforges without simcrafted statweights tells me you are lying about your dps or you are talking about halfus. And that's not only because there are only very few destro warlocks ranked above 25k on patchwerk fights ala baradin hold

To awnser the OP: Download simcraft and use it to get your statweights. If you do not know how to do this, take a look at the howto simcraft sticky ( on warlock forums).
    Once you've got your statweights, feel free to go to askmrrobot.com, load your character and imput those simmed statweights. It will tell you how to reforge and gem for optimal dps.

If you find out your reforges and gems are alright and you still do bad dps, I suggest to get a WoL-log so we can exactly see what you are doing wrong and help you to improve on it.

EDIT:
    Took a quick look at your armory and saw you were reforging to mastery. Mastery is pretty bad for destruction as far is I know.
    Next thing I saw was +50crit on bracers, get +50 int, it's a lot better.
    No enchant on head nor shoulders, no runspeed enchant on boots, only +15 stats on chest, only a rare spellthread on legs, no professions, ..

Are you sure you've read all the stickies, it's pretty hard to find something you've actually done correct on your gear.

EDIT 2:
    Took a look at your spec, it's fine dps wise but I suggest abandonning aftermatch to get nether protection.
    As for glyphs, replace glyph of shadowbolt with glyph of lifetap.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2011-09-29 at 03:41 PM.

mrrobot is fine for generalized weightings, hit to cap > haste > crit > mastery. the exact stat weightings might be a few tenths of a point off but the results are usually identical to using your own simmed weightings. Do your research.

And as a side note, I rank almost every fight every week as destro. There are plenty above 25k of you actually bothered to check worldoflogs. Not sure why I'm responding to such obvious trolling, but there you go.

you rank on destro cause no one plays it in raids..

lol yeah thats part of it, I'm not deny that. But the top 200 are still almost invariably above 24-5k with the exception of a few specific fights. And that has nothing to do with my personal dps which Butter went out of his way to attack. Anyway this is a useless discussion to be having in this thread. Stay on topic.

Destro is the lowest DPS spec by far for warlocks. It just cannot compete. Affliction and Demo both require a lot more focus and practice to play, as they have multiple uptimes and cooldowns to worry about, where destro only really has 2 things to keep up and 2 cooldowns to track which makes it much easier to play. Affliction is all about uptime on dots, and demo is all about cooldown stacking during meta.

My friends Hunter plays BM sometimes for Heroism pet, and he will rank on his alt just because there are so few parses for that spec, it is like that for a lot of classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gakpad View Post
    lol yeah thats part of it, I'm not deny that. But the top 200 are still almost invariably above 24-5k with the exception of a few specific fights. And that has nothing to do with my personal dps which Butter went out of his way to attack. Anyway this is a useless discussion to be having in this thread. Stay on topic.
    Lemme see, you said you did 25-30k dps as destruction, that means you are either raiding fl normal and you are in top 5 for destrolock, which is very unlikely, or you are raiding 25hc and you tend to give people bad advice since anyone that can play that spec that good should at least know that using the standard statweight is a bad idea.

All I see in your first post is bragging about how high your crits are, crits that I only see people with near bis gear do, and those crits don't even get as high as 70k.
    I'm really sorry but I'm having a really hard time seeing the truth in your words, unless you can prove otherwise ( Preferable in a Pm), I say you are telling nonsenses
    Last edited by Nicola; 2011-09-29 at 06:12 PM.

I'm raiding a mix of normal and heroic. I took 30 seconds to see that the top destro locks are critting with conflag for well over 70k. Also, 25-30 isn't really that good compared to some of the top locks, this is not a bragging thread. Affliction and demo both outperform destruction, so being "okay" at destruction means I'm still below the mages bookings rogues hunters etc in my group. Not sure what's putting you on the offensive here lol. And yes, when it comes to reforging you can 95% of the time use the standard weightings and get optimal results. Where are you getting this info that states otherwise? You're reforging the worst stat possible on a piece of gear into the best one. You're either reforging into hit or haste, there isn't some magical gear setup where you'll be doing anything else.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3370&e=3581 there you are, as you can see the highest crit in that fight was 71k with all my buffs up.

Still waiting to get home to check OP's armory to contribute any more specific suggestions to him.
    Last edited by gakpad; 2011-09-29 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And posting that link was just what I needed to proof my statement.
    Only legit fight where you reach 25k dps is baleroc normal, the only other fight where you reach 25k+ is staghelm hc.

Also, your reforging strategy is doing wonders since you are still 1.5% off the hitcap and got a few bad placed reforges. ( *cough* trinket and legs *cough*)
    Some proper reforges should allow you to still get softcap while increasing your hitrating.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2011-09-29 at 07:05 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natnael View Post
    Hey!
    I just wonder if blizzard is going to do something about destruction warlocks, usually i crit with chaos bolt it's really useless crits for like 18-20k sometimes, i went demonology i had 22k dps. Respecced affli to destro just to check it out, i only had 16k dps in raids i have 20k. If someone could just help me out a bit I play in outland-eu name sosseri,this is my first post so i can't link. I've read the guides, watched videos but nothing helps. So i did my own reforging and it really helped, but just tell me if i've done something wrong on my reforging, and i'm thinking to racechange because undead is useless in pve as a destruction so i wondered if it's good to go troll or orc, i don't know what to pick.
    depending on the pet you can see a inbalance of dps, granted the dps i list isnt grouped or anything and is just self buffed on raider test dummy

when i was using my imp, i average 11k dps
    when using the fell puppy, i average 14k dps

dont really get it, but i guess the destro pet of imp is useless to the fell puppy OP debuff

edit spot: oh, my locks i lvl is only 350

disregard the above post. if you're doing more dps with felhunter than imp something isn't right with your comparison, in any intuition even with the felhunter sp buff.

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 07:11 PM ----------

If you an find me a way to keep my 2589 hasteand keep my hit at or above 17% I'll give you a kiss. I'm close enough to haste softcap without reforging that haste actually sims higher than hit and even int. And I'm sure as he'll not giving up any int when I can just give up some hit instead. And as for my legs, crit and mastery sim just about equal, so I reforges my legs to allow me to drop the most stats in favor of getting that much more of a superior stat. Mathh is hard amirite? And lol@ attacking my gear when you made a big fuss about how it was impossible to do 70k with conflag and I proved you wrong. Grow up. Playing with 600+ ms I do fine. Did you really expect 25-30 on fights like rag and Beth with no real time to just single target dps?
    Last edited by gakpad; 2011-09-29 at 07:25 PM.

Stop trolling gakpad please. There is absolutely nothing wrong with raiding as destro. People behave like it's absolute rubbish, just because it's ~2k below, let's say, affliction IN SIMS. The fact that theoretical dps as destro is 2k lower, doesn't automatically mean it's bad. If it were, you wouldn't bring shadowpriests along either. Yes, they sim lower than a destruction warlock, yet they do extremely well in raids.

I play Affliction and demo myself, but I would never judge a player's competence for picking a viable spec that he enjoys even if its theoretical output is slightly lower.

If DPS is bottleneck in progressing and higher DPS with another spec is guaranteed it's a totally different scenario.

edit: Also, personally I think he did pretty well, considering he didn't have the best enchants and didn't reforge perfectly.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2011-09-29 at 07:45 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

if my enchants and reforging are wrong please actually provide a link to a chardev or something with an ideal reforge setup.reforging how I have now is the only way to reach 2589 haste without hemming for it, and that's actually worth more than hit cap with my base haste on gear being what it is. Same goes for haste to gloves/boots. I simmed numerous defile to decide how to set my gear up and where it's at now is the one that gave the best results. Not saying I can't e wrong tho, always open to constructive criticism as long as there's evidence to back it up. Anyway at least I have the balls to post my personal logs (which was to show my conflag crit butterzz wad disputing, not brag about dps :<), and off topic, butterzz, you havent even killed rag or any heroic content this expansion. let's see your logs before you try to make me validate my advice with mine.

excuse the typos I've given up fighting with autocorrect on my phone for today lol
    Last edited by gakpad; 2011-09-29 at 08:32 PM.

I personally didn't check your armory, but I just assumed these were accurate readings:

Quote Originally Posted by butterzz View Post
    EDIT:
    Took a quick look at your armory and saw you were reforging to mastery. Mastery is pretty bad for destruction as far is I know.
    Next thing I saw was +50crit on bracers, get +50 int, it's a lot better.
    No enchant on head nor shoulders, no runspeed enchant on boots, only +15 stats on chest, only a rare spellthread on legs, no professions, ..

Are you sure you've read all the stickies, it's pretty hard to find something you've actually done correct on your gear.

EDIT 2:
    Took a look at your spec, it's fine dps wise but I suggest abandonning aftermatch to get nether protection.
    As for glyphs, replace glyph of shadowbolt with glyph of lifetap.
    From the looks of it the reading was far from accurate since your enchants all seem to be pretty much perfect and you have 2 viable professions. Maybe butterz checked the wrong gakpad?
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Deleted
    I'm thinking Butterzz's post was in reference to the OP's character, though it seems likely that you could get confused with what this thread is actually about when you see the posts. More power to you Gakpad, I've always loved Destruction and wish it were a bit more viable so I could justify respeccing.

OT: As far as I'm aware Destruction just doesn't scale as well as the other specs and the ISF buff is just clunky as hell. Maybe extending the debuff and tweaking the percentage might go some of the way to making it more appealing to competitive Warlocks, but until then it doesn't really excel in any form of damage other than burst, and even at that Demonology Warlocks have that covered on a short enough cooldown. As for the race change, I'm not sure it would make as much difference as you think. If you like playing an Undead, stick with it, a race change will squeeze out only a little bit more DPS.

know the first post was but whatever, from someone who hasn't killed normal rag it's hard to take his criticism seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by pmellyn View Post
    Destro is the lowest DPS spec by far for warlocks. It just cannot compete. Affliction and Demo both require a lot more focus and practice to play, as they have multiple uptimes and cooldowns to worry about, where destro only really has 2 things to keep up and 2 cooldowns to track which makes it much easier to play. Affliction is all about uptime on dots, and demo is all about cooldown stacking during meta.

My friends Hunter plays BM sometimes for Heroism pet, and he will rank on his alt just because there are so few parses for that spec, it is like that for a lot of classes.
    Maybe your playing Runescape

But affliction is a build made for 5 yr old kids with 1 hand...

Destro has 3x the buttons.

Deleted
    I know that, but i don't have enough money for all of these things, shoulder and head enchant, i'm not reputated yet with guardians of hyjal. Professions i'm trying but i have no time farming because i'm only online sometimes and pveing, well actually in raid yesterday we tried kill ragnaros i had 24k dps random. went demon with full mastery enchant and reforging quiet odd i had 22k

I took the liberty of adding up all the buttons each spec would use in a fight if allowed in melee range and not counting any on use trinkets or CoElements:

Afflic: 9 - Haunt, Corruption, UA, Bane of (Agony/Doom), SB, Shadowflame, Drain Soul, DS, Doomgaurd
    Demo 11 - Hand of Guldan, Immolate, Corruption, Bane of Doom, SB, Incinerate, Shadowflame, Soulfire, DS, Doomgaurd, Meta
    Destro 9 - Incinerate, Immolate, Corrutpion, Conflag, Chaos Bolt, Soulfire, DS, Doomgaurd, Shadowflame

Next I took the number of dots/short cds to keep track of even if some other spell refreshes them

Afflic 5 - Haunt, Corruption, UA, Bane of (Agony/Doom), Shadowflame
    Demo 5 - Hand of Guldan, Immolate, Corruption, Bane of Doom, Shadowflame
    Destro 6 - Chaos Bolt, Conflag, Immolate, Corruption, Bane of Doom, Shadoflame

Now by numerical data alone this would make demo the "hardest" spec with 16 buttons, destro in second at 15 buttons, and afflic the "easiest" at 14 buttons.

These are the numbers take them as you will.