Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    1. server only PVP.
    This is a great idea in theory, creating real pvp relationships with both your allies and enemies on your server.

I didn't mind waiting for PVP in vanilla, not one bit. since I knew the people i came up against and I was just looking forward to it. with the EU wide change it changes to much in a negative way (losing community). I really don't like it, since Vanilla I really havent done much pvp in BG's.

3. A wow-like pigeonholing of progression content.
    This is my biggest fear really, that we will be forced to run the same raid every week, for months on end, then everything becomes obscelete when the new content is released.

You are forgetting that bioware is making this MMORPG more RPG based than other RPG's, you can always continue to improve your own char solo. Or so they say anyway. and thus it won't always be the same.

4. Lack of challenging 4 man content.
    To keep players interested we will need to have things to do outside of raidtimes. From what I hear we will have only 4-5 flashpoints at release. If these arent sufficiently challenging

my friend, it's been confirmed that the number of Flashpoints will be 10+ >>>> torwars.com/2011/09/29/50-flashpoints-at-launch-not-quite/ <<<< (can't post links yet) I have no idea who you've heard it from but it's wrong :P
    Last edited by mmocf41b5db0f6; 2011-10-02 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    Not sure where you're getting UO from, since it was designed by Origin not Mythic. DAoC was good *for its time* and was certainly a big step in the evolution of mmos. However, it stands to reason that the only game Mythic has launched since then was a disaster, like seriously tragically bad. Did you play WAR? Ech.
    Actually I did play WAR--beta, early access, and launch--and it was a great game. Its major flaw (besides cutting content to meet a deadline) was a reliance on having large amounts of people in every zone (aka too many Public Quests and RvR lakes, they were usually always empty because there was an insufficient number of players) and that's a problem that can't really be fixed without uprooting years of work. In terms of game systems and combat and PvP and PvE, the game was actually quite enjoyable even so early on in its life.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Actually I did play WAR--beta, early access, and launch--and it was a great game. Its major flaw (besides cutting content to meet a deadline) was a reliance on having large amounts of people in every zone (aka too many Public Quests and RvR lakes, they were usually always empty because there was an insufficient number of players) and that's a problem that can't really be fixed without uprooting years of work. In terms of game systems and combat and PvP and PvE, the game was actually quite enjoyable even so early on in its life.
    Also, class balance.

Thank you. I'm hoping this is as easy as it gets. I remember having to register my code here there and everywhere... logging into here... logging into there... and selling my first born to get Warhammer registered and ready. Being another EA venture, that's where my concern was from.

Having played the beta this weekend I really can't wait to play this game now. The story is unbelievably good. It keeps you engrossed and you'll find that you don't want to put it up. The classes are great. The quests are really good and keep you immersed into your class.Decisions you make actually have consequences as well which is really cool. Game play for a beta was fantastic and very polished. There was a few rough patches and graphical It is so good that my wife asked me to preorder it for her so she can quit WoW as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played a few times at conferences, I cannot wait to get my hands on this game. My BF played some in a recent beta, he's a hardcore gamer and said it was the most fun he's had leveling in a long time. It's Star Wars, in the grandest sense. It's a gorgeous story line, you cannot help but be sucked in. I'm playing a SI: Sorc, and I look forward to getting fully immersed in the story.

Regarding the end game, dont know. The NDA is still there. And there's a lot out there to do. I like what BW has done so far, I hope they can pull it all off. They certainly have the investment to do so.

Regarding the Tank, Healer, Dps trinity. With the NDA in place, I would recommend checking out the office forms on the classes. You might find that some of the "healer" classes, do dps and heal. i.e. healing rockets (Bounty Hunter - Mercenary).
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Deleted
    BioWare did good with this game. I don't want to play too much in the beta and spoil the real game for me at release, but I just cannot stay away :/

Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    BioWare did good with this game. I don't want to play too much in the beta and spoil the real game for me at release, but I just cannot stay away :/
    I'm having the same dilemma.

Pro Tip: Blizzard was also inexperienced with MMO's before WoW.

On the topic of ninja looting, I'm pretty sure that they said the loot system in group instances was not going to be like WoW. Instead each person received their own lootbag that has a random chance to drop loot similar to a boss. So if this is the case for every instance, the case of ninjaing is non existant.

IMO Bioware is taking the correct path. You build a good fun core game with some functioning add-on's. After that everything will work itself out over the next months. Things will evolve from there.

As for inexperience we will have to see. Despite Bioware (the company) having not made an MMO before they have very experienced people in the genre handling things. Bioware also has much experience with handling a multiplayer community with Neverwinter Nights. Comparatively speaking Bioware has MUCH more experience on their first venture of an MMO than Blizzard did. Bioware also has the luxury of some hindsight as the genre evolved over the past years. With all this I am fairly confident Bioware will have a successful first go of it but of course we will never truly know till it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    3. A wow-like pigeonholing of progression content.
    I agree on this one. It sucks that MMO's lose as much content as they gain every patch, it's an awful design, and should be a thing of the past, really. dear Blizzard/BW/every MMO developer out there, SCALE YOUR RAIDS. That is all...
    Then what would the point of new content be? If I know all the fights in T1 but it drops equivalent rewards now that its patch xyz.25 why would I do T2?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brusana View Post
    Then what would the point of new content be? If I know all the fights in T1 but it drops equivalent rewards now that its patch xyz.25 why would I do T2?
    could not agree more, doing the same instances 400 times gets very old. So over heroic farming and the same raid for 9 months straight just hoping to get some drop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brusana View Post
    Because it's fun to kill new bosses? It might be my GW1 roots talking (there is no gear progression whatsoever in it, except for cosmetic progression) but a system where every dungeon/raid has viable gear/difficulty has its upsides.

All content stays viable, so instead of the WOW way, where every new patch renders the last one useless, each patch, the options just become bigger.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

http://gamrtv.vgchartz.com/video/230...public-combat/ Was kinda worried about the combat and how class balance would be. After seeing the video , I having more confidence in swtor. Pre-ordered already and going nuts waiting for dec to get here. >.<

Deleted
    Vanilla WoW

all I'm saying

(PS: That can be seen as good and bad, I just hope people will give this game it's time to develop and that it won't turn into what WoW is now)

And how experienced at making MMO's was Blizzard when they made World of Warcraft?

From launch up until TBC there were a few classes/specs that were VASTLY overpowered, there were bugs everywhere (some that still exist today) and Blizzard seemed to have no idea how to balance the classes in terms of utility and pure effectiveness in their fields.
    It took them a LONG time to figure things out and that is exactly how it's going to be with SWTOR, but I can assume that BioWare has more resources and contacts to start off with so it probably won't be THAT bad.

Just remember that things take time at the start for the developers and designers to properly figure out how the game works on a large scale. Just don't go hell-over-heels if there is just 1 bug at launch, all MMO's have been in the same position.

I'm more worried about class balance more than anything else. Bioware can't even balance their single player games (Lookin at you Dragon Age series). Mythic sucked at balancing WAR as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    Not sure where you're getting UO from, since it was designed by Origin not Mythic. DAoC was good *for its time* and was certainly a big step in the evolution of mmos. However, it stands to reason that the only game Mythic has launched since then was a disaster, like seriously tragically bad. Did you play WAR? Ech.
    Way to kill a company history, they only developed War after DAoC, thats like saying Bioware suck because they made DA2 (i thought the game was good, but some didnt like it.).

Mythic is maintaining Ultima online since early 2006.

P.S. WaR isnt that bad, if you like pvp.
    Last edited by DaGhostDS; 2011-10-05 at 09:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe it will show about as much as it did when WoW was released. Also, for each side there are 4 classes, with 5 specs in them, right? So 20 specs total for a side. I think that balances things out a little. Remember, all ACs from the same class share a spec.