[Music] New to bass-playing, what should i buy?

hey there
    I'm considering to start playing the bass (slappin' da bass!)
    i've been playing piano for 6-7 years, and guitar for 'bout 4 years. Now i want to try out bass. I'd prefer to play funk (slapping) and some jazz/blues.
    which bass should i buy? (in the area of 500 $)

thanks in advance.
    Got my mojo workin'

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    "New to bass-playing, what should I buy?" - A bass trolololo :P

Hm, if you are new, I'd start with something simple, a "beginners" model with a beginner amp... Urgh having just read you've played guitar for 4 years, well scratch the beginner bit... If you want something with a funk edge, try looking at musicman, a friend of mine who plays funk speaks highly of those. I know their guitars are quite solid.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    If you want a bass that's going to last and play fairly well as well, plus be versatile for most types of music, go for a Fender Jazz bass. Standard answer but they really are great guitars for the money. (Have played for 8 years and owned many bass guitars and Fender J bass are just best value/versatility for money). =]

And while many may disagree, theres a reason almost every professional bassist has a J bass hiding somewhere in his collection :P

Well as a new bass player a musicman might be a bit out of your price range get and olp exact same parts and feel of a musicman but much cheaper. and fender p bass sucks

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuri View Post
    If you want a bass that's going to last and play fairly well as well, plus be versatile for most types of music, go for a Fender Jazz bass. Standard answer but they really are great guitars for the money. (Have played for 8 years and owned many bass guitars and Fender J bass are just best value/versatility for money). =]

And while many may disagree, theres a reason almost every professional bassist has a J bass hiding somewhere in his collection :P
    Well fenders tend to be good, but they are also incredible ugly and boring :P

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

15+ Year Old Account
    if you've played guitar for 4 years you probably know the brands enough, but goes without saying:

go to music store
    try out basses in your price range
    buy the one you like the most
    ????
    profit (well, actually a loss since you just spent $500 on a bass)

10+ Year Old Account
    Warwick makes some amazing basses, but they might be a bit too pricy. Ibanez and ESP make some great beginner-intermediate basses within your asking range. I personally like both brands. And I don't recommend you getting a tiny practice amp as it will sound absolutely terrible. I would at the very least dish out for a 75-watter, at the very very least. Anything else will make your bass sound like ass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPoetry View Post
    if you've played guitar for 4 years you probably know the brands enough, but goes without saying:

go to music store
    try out basses in your price range
    buy the one you like the most
    ????
    profit (well, actually a loss since you just spent $500 on a bass)
    Go all out and get a Fodera Monarch! In all seriousness, I bought a Yamaha 5 string for my first and I was quite pleased with it using a David Eden 4x10 and amp.

Squier Bronco Bass ..they are cheap...ish. About 150$ and they sound alright. Great for new bass players. Its kinda what I started.

Music Man is my recommendation. My Dad has a MM Sterling that I love and is his favorite as well. (He likes to slap da bass.) I find it a little more manageable than a lot of basses if that makes any sense.

G&L also makes some awesome basses, but I believe they are much pricier...

I also agree with whoever said you need to go try stuff out too, find something with a neck that feels right to you. Good luck!