sony vegas question - move video on screen

so I have these old video files from when I had a 4:3 monitor
    I've converted the clips to 16:9 and I'm missing the top where the player and target frames are and the bottom where the bars are
    no biggie, it's better than to have black bars, but I wanted to move the portion with the player frames from the old video on top of the new one.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7631/sonyvegas.png

like you see in the screenshot, I've selected the part I need and want to move it below the black line
    how can I do that?

and also how can I resize the frame with the buttons for example. I'd like to try and fit it where the chat frame is and see how it is

edit:
    just to be clear, there are 2 videos on the timeline, one with the original file 4:3 and one with 16:9 on top of witch I want to move the player and target frame
    Last edited by engwee; 2011-09-30 at 09:55 AM.

You need to add the original clip with a mask only showing that small part of it over the other. I havent used masks in vegas much so I cant reember how to but im sure you can find many mask tutorials on youtube.

from what I see that mask toll only allows me to select a portion of the video and hide it
    I want to move a selection of the video to some place else on the screen, like below the black bars on top and bottom

Pan & crop tool allows you to zoom in to a part of the screen you want to see, that's basically what you want to do. Zoom in on the original 4:3 video close enough to lose the black bars on sides.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

no, I don't want it like that
    I'll lose too much screen if I want to have the player frame
    so best option for me was to convert it to 16:9 with vdub, this made it 720p rez. and lost the top and bottom and now I just want to move the selection I have in the screenshot I posted.
    Last edited by engwee; 2011-09-30 at 07:37 AM.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Please, no more DK movies, what do you want us to see there?

Please post constructively. If you don't have anything insightful/relevant to add, don't post. ~Uggor
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-10-02 at 04:16 PM.

I just want to know how to move a small portion of video around the screen

10+ Year Old Account
    after reading this thread, im still not entirely sure i understand what exactly you are trying to do...

if i read it correctly, it sounds like you want to take the selected piece of video from the clip on the foreground of the screen grab (the 4x3 image) and basically cut + paste it over the "black bars" on your newly transcoded 16x9 file? is this correct?

edit:

it seems like the problem you are having is from a bad transcode setting... if anything, your original 4x3 video should have been "stretched" sideways to make it 16x9, not zoomed and cropped, which would explain the loss of the name plates and caster bars at the bottom, correct?

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 04:46 AM ----------

ok i think i solved your problem and i will try to write out step by step instructions as best i can.

1. load original 4x3 file to your timeline.
    2. on the timeline, go to the end of the clip, hit the "event pan/crop" button.
    3. in the newly opened "pan/crop" window, on the drop down menu on the top, select "16x9 widescreen...". This will change the aspect from 4x3 to 16x9, but i will not be correct yet.
    4. look to the left of the "pan/crop" window, there are several drop down categories, position, rotation, keyframe interpolation ,etc. Select the "Source" tab. Inside this tab, click on "Maintain Aspect Ratio", and set it to "off". This will allow the new 16x9 file to not just "zoom and crop", but will actually reformat the pixels, giving you a true 16x9, full frame image.

cheers! let me know if this works for ya!

no, that's not it
    maybe I'm having trouble expressing myself, not my main language

so here's the deal, I'm very happy with how the video looks after zoom and crop, as it doesn't stretch everything wide, then characters and everything would look weird.
    now, I have this video with aspect 16:9, like I said zoomed in, and I want to add over the name plates from the original video

here's a screenshot edit how I like it to look, hope it clears out things
    http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6611/asdbze.png

so again, there's 2 videos on that render, the original one (4:3) from witch I've slected the names and the zoomed one (16:9) on 2nd layer.

there must be a possibility to move the video around on screen :|

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 09:07 AM ----------

ok, I've made a more clearer picture, hope this finally clears up what I want

ORIGINAL http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5919/92720921.png
    ------->
    after edit http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/6923/15375829.png

10+ Year Old Account
    ok, what you are trying to accomplish, in my opinion, is... how you say, "retarded".

not trying to be a dick, but zooming and cropping out the name plates, only to try and add them back in is completely counter-intuitive and way more trouble than its worth.

again, take your original video, follow my steps from my previous post, and you will have a 16x9 FULL FRAME file, which will include in it EVERYTHING FROM YOUR ORGINAL 4x3 FILE. trying to insert a small window of video from the original file into the new file seems to be, in a word, pointless.

good luck.

I followed your steps in vegas and it gives me the same result as mine
    selected no on maintain aspect ratio

but anyway, I think what you're trying to advise me to do is this
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6774/24031614.png

I
    don't like it!
    What I'm trying to do suits my needs better

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7559/widep.jpg
    vs
    http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2063/widuala.jpg

each person with they're taste..

now are we going to solve my question or dick around
    maybe I'll need to know how to use that option in other circumstances

10+ Year Old Account
    the reason you like the first one is because it isnt an actual aspect ratio conversion, it is a zoom and crop. they are 2 entirely different things. i gave you a solution that will give you a real 16x9 aspect ratio that you wanted, which includes the name plates and cast bars. if you insist on doing a zoom and crop, then i am not sure how you would go about inserting the name plates from the original video. good luck.

Well its clear tat you cant convert a 4:3 to 16:9 without getting image streached or zoomed with missing sides.
    The solution to what you wanted as I said is mask, place the original 4:3 video above and place it so the player and target frames appear where you want them in that corner then apply a mask only lettig them show.

that would be good, but I can't, because the 4:3 video is higher than the 16:9 one, as you saw, character frame is on the black bar.
    there must be a option to move the video somewhere on the screen

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 03:46 PM ----------

let's pretend I wanted to put another video on screen and place it on a side or somewhere else (to my choosing)
    there, now I can rule out comments like my idea is retarded or anything else that doesn't help me.

Quote Originally Posted by engwee View Post
    that would be good, but I can't, because the 4:3 video is higher than the 16:9 one, as you saw, character frame is on the black bar.
    there must be a option to move the video somewhere on the screen
    Yes ofc you can move it on the screen, its called pan nad crop, im sure you're familiar with it since you just already used it on the other to zoom it in and make it widescreen. It took me 2 minutes of searching on youtube to find out how mask works too its rather simple so I make an example movie of WoW I recorded in 4:3 and made exactly the editing you are trying to acomplih unless I missunderstood anything completely here. original 1600x1200 I made it a 720p 1280x720.

1. Zoomed in to make it widescreen without black side edges.
    2. Added it again in new video layer above.
    3. Pan and crop player frame to right position and applied mask around it so only it showed.

Result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdKXxVDqhb8
    Last edited by Zalamander; 2011-10-02 at 10:28 AM.

Yes, you're right, mask was the only option needed for this.
    My problem was that after I was masking it I still had the problem of moving it to the right spot, the video preview showed it on top
    and had some issues moving it then, I needed to tick off maintain aspect radio witch I figured out later.

thing is after you render the movie in wide format it places it on the right spot without having to move anything
    so yeah, the preview was missleading me and I couldn't get it right, thank you so much