Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[GUIDE] GW1 for newbies

This thread is for people wanting to get points in their HoM for GW2, it wont actually deal with HoM at all just on how to get the fastest setup for a new player - so the main focus is getting you some good Heroes to help you on your journey.

This guide assumes you have the trilogy and EotN.

What profession is best:

None, all professions are viable, personally however I find that a Ritualist spirit spammer is so much easier than anything else, but again eveything is viable. Also I have a hard time recommending a monk unless you are going to play with a friend.

What campaign to start with:

There are two options, Factions or Nightfall - it doesn't really matter much which you pick but obviously you need to pick Factions if you want to play an assassin or ritualist and Nightfall if you want to play a dervish or paragon, if you want to play a core profession it doesn't matter.

(will add some more pros and cons later)

PvE Walkthrough:

1a. Factions: Finish the starter area, which means follow the story until you can go to Kaineng Center, take and finish the quest "Sunspears in Cantha" -> http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Sunspears_in_Cantha, you will end up in the Nighfall city of Kamadan after you are done. You will get some heroes unlocked and you will have to do a hero-tutorial, after that is done you need to do few more quests "Securing Champion's Dawn", "A Land of Heroes" and "The Time is Nigh" (you go look them up at the wiki).

1b. Nightfall: Finish the starter area, you will get heroes unlocked as you go.

2. You should now be able to do the Consulate Docks mission, but you don't need to at this point, instead we will unlock some more heroes.

Early on in PvE Necromacer heroes are probably the best you can get so we will get Olias, you unlock him by taking the quest "All for One and One for Justice" -> http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/All_f...ne_for_Justice

If you played through Nightfall you will have either an Elementalist or Ranger unlocked (I recommend the Elementalist), if you played through Factions you will have to pick one of them now - they are just outside Kamadan also if you didn't already pick him up you will get MOX there as well.

3. Now do the quest "Hole in Istan" http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hole_of_Istan, it will take you to EotN and you'll end up in Boreal Station and you've gained another two heroes, another Monk (boo) and an Elementalist. You can chose to do a hero tutorial again for the XP or just skip it, follow the story and you'll end up in Eye of the North.

In the Eye of the North you'll find the Hall of Monuments, which is where you can show your achievements which I won't get into here. Also you get the all the main quests. Back in Eye of the North get a copy of Hero's Handbook and Master Dungeons Guide from the NPC called Gedel of Ascalon (pick Written evidence from the options). These books can later be used to increase your reputation with a chosen faction. And you also unlock Gwen as a Hero here.

Next we go North to Gunnars Hold collect a few more heroes, this is done through a single player mission where you have to defeat several enemies, for our purpose we don't really need to finish it we just want to beat a couple of the specific opponents because they will then be unlocked as heroes. The quest you need to do is called Round 1: Fight! -> http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Round_1:_Fight! , here is a guide on what opponents you can get, hints on build and more here -> http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_N...ment#Opponents

What we a want here is Xandra, a Ritualist hero, there is also Kahmu but we already have two Dervishes so don't bother.

Repeat doing this until you get Xandra.

By now you will have the following heroes:

Koss : Warrior
    Dunkoro : Monk
    Tahlkora: Monk
    Ogden Stonehealer: Monk
    Melonni : Dervish
    M.O.X. : Dervish
    Acolyte Sousuke : Elementalist (or the Ranger if you picked him)
    Vekk: Elementalist
    Olias : Necromancer
    Gwen: Mesmer
    Xandra : Ritualist

Those heroes should make solid foundation for breezing through content, now you will most likely be limited mainly on what skills you have unlocked on your account, if you can afford it I would suggest buying at least one of the skill packs in the ingame shop (get Nightfall or Factions, I can't recall the price right now, but it will save you some time).

That's it for this guide - what you want to do next is entirely up to you but I would suggest you continue and finish EotN.

If there is anything you need to have clarified or have any questions feel free to ask.

If you are stuck on some mission I can probably also help you in game.
    Last edited by Maklor; 2011-09-29 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks for this

meh i started with prophecies, and i have a Ele/necro, where can i respect my second profession, only level 7.

is it necessary to do all side-quest, or should i stick to main quest only? for HoM and other goodies :P

What is Ho and what can I use it for in GW2? Seems like it's only available in GW1? I don't quite understand :/

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    meh i started with prophecies, and i have a Ele/necro, where can i respect my second profession, only level 7.
    It depends on what you want, my guide is meant for people that are just looking for getting stuff into HoM and not much else.

If that's what you want I would suggest you restart in one of the other campaigns because you can't change your secondary-spec for a long long time in Prophecies.

is it necessary to do all side-quest, or should i stick to main quest only? for HoM and other goodies :P
    You do NOT have to do sidequests at all, if you just want to finish as fast as possible just stick to your main quest/missions.

@Eorayn, HoM is hall of monuments it's a thing for GW2 that awards you things for your effort in the original GW.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...-of-monuments/

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    What is Ho and what can I use it for in GW2? Seems like it's only available in GW1? I don't quite understand :/
    Think the OP is talking about the Hall of ... not sure what's it called, Basically GW2 gives you some sort of achievements if you've played GW1 and did some stuff in there and based on those "achievements" you get some points and you get fun stuff in GW2 like pets... and... not sure what else.

Edit: I'm so slow... it took me 3 min to write that

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    If you are a true newbie, I don't really recommend Factions to start off with. Yes the leveling is the fastest of the campaigns but it also has the highest difficulty jump (from the island to KC).
    Which doesn't matter in this context since we are not going to do quests there.

AHHH Nostalgia overload I HAVE TO PLAY IT AGAIN

Nightfall is propably the most "newbie friendly". Those heroes help a lot more than plain henchmen as you can upgrade their equipment.

Though Factions does have ritualists and they are overlords when it comes to solo gameplay (This build).
    Though you need to play over halfway of the game to get that Signet of Spirits.
    FC 2793-2016-8218 - Name: Suoma

Shouldn't this be in the Video Games forums? Considering this forum is for Guild Wars 2.

[email protected] | GeForce GTX 760 | 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB SSD | 1+2TB HDD | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 | Corsair CX V2 500W | NZXT Phantom | 2x 24" 1920x1080 | Qpad MK-80 MX Blue | Logitech G600

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    Thanks for this. I might dust off the old GW account and do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    A good idea might be to level the Ritualist to Kaening Center, then go to EotN to finish leveling to 20 (plus you can get a few heroes there), then return back to factions to pick up that elite. Might as well finish the campaign so you can start doing hardmodes for farming and such anyway. If I had to start over, that's probably what I would do.
    That is a good plan but I'd recomend a very quick sidetrip into nightfall before takeing a crack at EOTN. This is simply because as a forign character you get 4-5 hero's almost as soon as you step foot in the campaign and can then head off to EOTN. the nightfall hero's wont be max level but they'll be effected by the same buff that boosts your level to a fux 20.

On the other side of the coin however while the nightfall starter area is a bit slower than factions the quest that lets you change your secondary professions is less than half an hour of gameplay past the point where you can travle to EOTN. Factions as I recall is about 3 missions and quite a few primary quests later. If you pick a good secondary or just dont even use your secondary this concern becomes moot.

Still the spirit spamer build is fairly strong in most areas and I tend to bring a hero with a similar build when I'm not runing a spirit spamer myself. The really nice thing about it is it works quite well on any profession with 4 pips of energy regen. A rit is better but I've run the build on monk mesmer elementalist dervish and assasin primary characters. Para and rangers it's not so hot and I wouldnt recommend trying with a war unless you have a hero spaming energy regen at you.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    That is a good plan but I'd recomend a very quick sidetrip into nightfall before takeing a crack at EOTN.
    Guys... that is EXACTLY what I'm saying in my preliminary guide!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Guys... that is EXACTLY what I'm saying in my preliminary guide!!!!
    If it makes you feel better I caught it the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    If it makes you feel better I caught it the first time.
    Honestly I'm getting a bit pissed off that people come with their ideas (which I didn't ask for) and then post the same thing that I did originally.

Honestly I'm getting a bit pissed off that people come with their ideas (which I didn't ask for) and then post the same thing that I did originally.
    I feel ya. I mean, I started out with a prophecies character (got a run to LA as soon as I was done with pre) got Vekk, Ogden, MOX and Gwen then played through till I got to northern shiverpeaks and when ahead and got Dunkoro, Koss and Meloni. But that is FAR from ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I feel ya. I mean, I started out with a prophecies character (got a run to LA as soon as I was done with pre) got Vekk, Ogden, MOX and Gwen then played through till I got to northern shiverpeaks and when ahead and got Dunkoro, Koss and Meloni. But that is FAR from ideal.
    Yeah as I said the purpose of this is to let newbies to GW start out their first character as efficiently as possible, so I'm mainly focusing on getting a good set of starter heroes and then people can start from there and do whatever they want.

Yeah as I said the purpose of this is to let newbies to GW start out their first character as efficiently as possible, so I'm mainly focusing on getting a good set of starter heroes and then people can start from there and do whatever they want.
    Yeah, not everyone pics up on that though. Tis a shame.

Hey thanks for the guide =)

Start with nightfall, heroes are a godsend